• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live Action Mushishi Trailer Online

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:09 am Reply with quote
Hm.. not too bad, I guess. It feels like they tried to spookify it more so than what I'm used to in the anime, but this was suppose to be a horror title in the first place.

The actor that plays Ginko seems to carry most of the same demeanor, but I wish they could've given him that big green eye. Though if you think about it, a live action Ginko is weird enough as it is.

I saw at least two stories on there: spoiler[ the one one with the kid who had horns and the sound Mushi in his/her ears] and spoiler[ the kid whose writing could come to life when he uses his left hand]. But then again, all stories are presented amazingly in the anime already, so just about any of them would work Anime catgrin.
Beni_Hime

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:56 pm Reply with quote
hmmm... "spookify" it more? How could it be any freakier?? Some of those episodes were just plain scary!! I'm thrilled over this movie however! It's awesome news! I can't wait to see it!! ^__^ Mushishi is definately a great series, I'm glad it was chosen for the big screen!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, anime never scares me Anime smallmouth. I consider the atmosphere of the TV series to be more mystic than spooky, but I definitely agree with you in saying that Mushishi possesses that kind of overall tone in the storytelling and some of the scenarios.

In the case of the movie and series, the music and sound effects are also a big difference. Toshio Masuda's score is beautiful, melancholy, and downright soothing. The music from the movie trailer felt a little foreboding and even malevolent. It feels like they're trying to imply that Mushi are of the "evil, creepy crawler" variety, rather than the "misunderstood third dimension of nature that you should learn to adapt to" kind of creature.

Regardless, though, I'm really anxious to see it Anime catgrin.
RJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Mushishi isnt supposed to be a 'horror' anime. Its more of a telling of human relations through the premise of the misunderstood and unwanted Mushi (or so I think).
That is Joe Odagiri in the trailer, correct? Why in the world is he wearing a mop on his head?
Otherwise, it looks promising.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
Personally, I interpret the 'horror' as just the shock value that comes along with some of the stories and the nature of the unkown (aka Mushi). It doesn't scare me in the least, but it just gives off that certain vibe of "woah, I didn't expect that... kind of bizarre, but also very entertaining!"

The thing I mentioned about the Mushi being " the misunderstood third dimension" stuff is what I feel to be the more prominent undertone of the overall presentation. But still, I think "mystifying" is the best word to describe this title.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
that looks tight. i cant wait Very Happy

i loved that show so much. i cant wait till the anime and manga get released here. im gonna so buy them up. im pretty sure in that preview it showed a scene from the episode with spoiler[the guy that chases that rainbow snake] but maybe not idk.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
That's what I thought too. Just from looking at those few seconds of spoiler[ the rain and that huge, but breif rainbow]. Assuming the movie is 90-120 minutes, that should be good for 3-4 stories. And after seeing the trailer once again, is it just me or was that a didgeridoo playing in the BGM Shocked?
Beni_Hime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
No, it's not just you! I heard it too... lol. Apparently, in this movie, Ginko's travels have taken him all the way to the outback! Crikey! What strange and new Mushi will befall our hero!!?
shanni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
this movie is composed of ep 7, 12, 20 =D

its too bad there were better eps...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1