• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-11-03]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyrai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
The only thing going through my mind when I was reading the bit about the racism was G Gundam.

That was the most uninentional hilarious gundam show ever. I mean, Tequila Gundam.

DIdn't the Neo-Canada gundam have overalls as well? Or just his pilot?

Also, isn't that xenophobia one of the reasons we don't get some anime until it's finished it's run much later? A sort of "Why should the stupid roundeyes get our shows" feeling. Or one of the reasons which is no longer relevant? I remember hearing something like that LONG ago. NOt sure if it's no longer true, was never true, etc etc.

Of course I could just be delusional and that last paragraph made me sound like an idiot.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Every time they release a new Final Fantasy game I tell myself "Oh, you're not really interested in that! I mean, you've played all of them, but surely you're ready to move on!" and then the new one comes out and I buy it like a sucker and get completely addicted to it. The new one, Final Fantasy XII, is no different.

Good to see that you're not one of those so-called "haters".

I've been enjoying FFXII too; playing around with Gambits takes up alot of my time right now. Right now, I'd say this FF places in my Top #3 FF games all-time.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

I've been enjoying FFXII too; playing around with Gambits takes up alot of my time right now.
I had played about 3/4 of the of the Japanese version, so when I got the English verison, it's been copy and paste. But Mob Hunts and all the other side quest can easly make this game 100 hours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
I'm currently playing through FF12 as well. One thing I love is that you can do a decent amount of exploring almost right away, unlike most RPGs which give you little leeway in the early stages of the game (of FFX in which you have pretty much no choice for the first 3-5 hours of gameplay).

Quote:
Speaking of which, it's interesting to see the reaction to the "ending" of the Inuyasha TV series. I stand by my statement that it's one of the most unsatisfying and irritating endings to a long-running action show I've ever seen, next to Rurouni Kenshin, which didn't even really have a proper ending.

Ruruoni Kenshin sort of got an ending in the second OVA, though it is quite divisive and many RK fans prefer to pretend it didn't exist for various reasons.

More racism in anime... in America!
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:46 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I don't normally watch Yu-Gi-Oh!, but that's one of the funniest anime parodies I've seen in quite a while. Anyone reading this thread should check it out.

Really liked Zac's commentary on the racism issue. It's something I've noticed several times (take a look at the condescending way Americans are portrayed in Brain-Powerd, for instance, or the way black characters are drawn in series like DBZ), and I thought he did an excellent job of explaining it.

On a somewhat related point, wasn't Japan the country that recently rereleased the "Little Black Sambo" children's book originally put out decades ago in the States? I can recall reading that one as a little kid, but it hasn't been available in the States in ages, and with good reason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote
Zac, that was one of the best answers to the long running question of "why do anime and manga ignore/insult foreigners?" I wish everyone who asks that question would read your answer so that they will shut up.

Nice to hear about another anime fan in the military though. There seem to be a fair number of them.

Also, what is up with the flakes? Why do people think you can help them with their homework? Do you have a side job working at a library or something?

I think you're a little off on the way you interpreted the end of Inuyasha though. I took the ending to mean "we will make more just wait" not "you losers suck for watching our show!"

Good rant, needed to be checked over for grammer and spelling errors but I agree with the ranter's basic premise. If someone wants to watch something without any foreign words or cultural quirks, they can turn on Spongebob. (For future reference, PM me your rants and I will refine their quality, transforming them from coal to polished diamond. Wink )

Anime and manga are from Japan. Even when translated or dubbed, they may sometimes include Japanese words. Deal with it. It's not like English has never borrowed or absorbed foreign languages before. (We're almost a two-language nation at this point. Why complain about a few Japanese words when you may soon be expected to speak fluent Spanish?)
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote
Quote:
but to drag people through 160+ episodes of the show and then flat-out not finish it is like giving the finger to a whole legion of loyal fans.

QFT! That so accurately says how I feel. But then again, I'm sort of keeping my fingers crossed for an OVA as well.... Embarassed

Good rant. It's so difficult to decide what is the best way to go in doing a translation. The translators must want to bang their heads on their desks as much as Nagi and Tony do.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
Zac is delusional if he thinks there's no demand for more IY anime. The manga is still pretty popular in Japan and people still go to see the movies when they come out (although, to be fair, the fourth movie was out shortly after the series ended). I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote
I like what you said on the anime companies not being evil, and always have.

I was talking to a friend about the announcement that ADV has acquired Chevalier D'Eon. He says he would have bought the domestic release had someone other than ADV (or 4Kids, as hilarious as that might have been) had licensed it because of the dubs ADV typically produces. Though I'm really not a huge fan of ADV dubs either, I'm going to buy it because I like the show. It's not like they're trying to make the dub bad or something.

Point is, support the domestic release, because believe it or not, these companies need the profit. And they aren't evil.

I don't even know if this was at all relevant. I...felt like saying it.
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
I had taken up a habit of informing Inuyasha fans that they are [insert various insult at variant levels of profanity] but after reading the ending for myself, I am pretty sure any insult I could concevibilly pull pales in comparrison to being insulted by the creator herself.

i felt burned reading the ending and I HATE inuyasha. poor fans, even family guy fans don't deserve this treatment.

fawhooosh!
TeaChan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote
The ending of the Inuyasha anime was bad. I am a fan of the series but that just seemed lazy. Now from what I understand the reason they decied to end it was because the animators were getting burned out and wanted to work on other projects. Also if I recall the show wasn't pulling in the ratings like it was. Don't get me wrong it was still popular when it ended. It was too bad they couldn't get their act together to make a proper ending.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

I don't normally watch Yu-Gi-Oh!, but that's one of the funniest anime parodies I've seen in quite a while. Anyone reading this thread should check it out.

That's just episode 12 of The Abridged series. If you liked that, I recommend checking out the rest of Yu Gi Oh: The Abridged Series as it is some good stuff. I recommend finding it through his (LittleKuriboh's) profile since some people have nothing better to do than pretend to be him (using a slightly different username) and post fake episodes.

It's great for Yu Gi Oh fans and haters (and everyone in between) alike.

Quote:
I had taken up a habit of informing Inuyasha fans that they are [insert various insult at variant levels of profanity] but after reading the ending for myself, I am pretty sure any insult I could concevibilly pull pales in comparrison to being insulted by the creator herself.

So Rumiko Takahashi herself said she disliked the endiing? I guess that's something else it has in common with Rurouni Kenshin (though Nobuhiro Watsuki's beef was with the OVA "ending" not the TV series).
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:04 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Zac is delusional if he thinks there's no demand for more IY anime. The manga is still pretty popular in Japan and people still go to see the movies when they come out (although, to be fair, the fourth movie was out shortly after the series ended). I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was more.

It doesn't matter if the manga is popular, if the TV RATINGS are less than spectular, they have every right to stop the series there. It's not the first time they did that with a Takahashi work (Ranma 1/2 stopped around 2/3 of the manga). I'm assuming that what happened to IY. Although they could do fillers, it must've been not popular enough for that.

And I wholehearted agreed with the rant, although it's a bit too angry for my tastes. I already stated my reason and stuff in the last Answerman forum.

And I thank Zac for telling people about the racial issues in anime/manga. People tend to forget that not all countries as diverse in terms of races, ethnicies and religion like America and some other countries. I tried to explain to my aunt that why there isn't a lot of Black people in anime because there's about 5000 (or more, this stat is old) Black people living in Japan and most info they get about Black people is from media (which kinda make me cringe a little). So if they mention like Martin Luther King, Jr. like in Yakitate!!Japan, I would be surprised.

And I don't think they know what racial significance of those caricatures, like Zac said, they weren't taught these things in schools. But when I do see a Black character in anime/manga, most of the time they're depicted in a positive light as cool people. The most ragged on foreign character is the white American male, maybe residue of resentment of WW2, who knows?

And I'm the only FF fan in America who doesn't own FF12. Screw me and wanting to wait until Christmas to play it. It was either that or DDR for my birthday in a couple of weeks, but I wanted to play with my sister when she comes back from college. FF is always more fun with someone with you.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
Well, you're not the only one hooked on Final Fantasy. I've already clocked nearly twenty hours play-time; half of it buying licences for spells I don't have ~ ha ha ~!

-

...and Anime companies "evil"? Hmm...I call'em evil only when they delay something I want. I called Pioneer (now Geneon) evil all the time when they were releasing Cardcaptor Sakura--they were originally releasing every month...then every-other...then they skipped v.4 for like 3 months--but hey...I got my series when I normally couldn't. So "evil"...no; annoying...yes. If you don't like'em, import... Go ahead, buy 2 episodes for $60... Meh...

-

...About Inuyasha... Read the manga; it goes further if you're that curious. It's better, too; sure it drags, but I find everything Rumiko Takahashi does drags. I mean, seriously...480 chapters and still counting; sheesh... How many times do you have to kill someone until they just stay dead? Don't get me wrong, I love Inuyasha, but it needs to END or at least go another path...I'm getting tired of the "kill Naraku" hunt.

...I was actually okay with the ending of the Inuyasha anime; I was more peeved at how some other animes are warped around from the original manga. Of course, Inuyasha anime does end at the beginning of a new arc...which makes it confusing... Ah, well...

...I need to go to bed... *yawn*
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:53 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:

People call ADV and Funimation and Bandai and whoever else the "evil empire" because it's popular to just assume that all corporations are giant bloated horrible places staffed with menacing greedy jerks who want nothing more than to empty your wallet and then laugh as you writhe in pain from whatever product they scammed you into buying. It's really easy to assume that, and the people who do generally act like they're insightful or wise for saying so. Really it's a big load of cra[ck]ola.

That's not really the reason why internet folk bash anime companies; they're exceedingly jealous of a select group of individuals license, dub, distribute, and profit off of anime, they're not necessarily against the mechanics or intent of the company itself. If internet folk truely were disgusted by corporate greed, they wouldn't jump at the chance to talk to a dub VA or seek employment at an anime company (provided the opportunity be offered); the lure of profiting from anime is in fact an incentive to join those companies, even though in reality employees really do not earn that much money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9