• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paprika May Contend for Oscar

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Well then lets hope that someone kicks it into high gear and gets the movie out. Looking at the list it doesn't really look like such a strong year for animation, unlike last year. Considering that Cars was disappointing at best, and also looking at the list Scanner Darkly is considered animation? Haven't seen that one, but didn't hear anything great about it from my friends who saw it.

Delta
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Yikes, that's a pretty dismal list compared to the last two years. I sure hope Paprika gets an LA screening so it can be nominated. Otherwise, I'll root for the excellent Renaissance. And I refuse to acknowledge the rotoscoped A Scanner Darkly as full-fledged animation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping Sony was going to wait until next year, but I guess the one-two punch of Shrek 3 and Ratatouie made them nervous. Wink
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
It's about time Satoshi Kon received a nomination (or even won). As for the animated films that are already out, "The Monster House" seems to be a clear frontrunner.

Cloe, you do realize that "Renaissance" used rotoscoping too, right?

I can see how people could be against "A Scanner Darkly" being nomianted but, at the same time, the movie did take a lot of effort to make nad the end-result is pretty good. Plus I really like Richard Linklater.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
The non-wishful thinking nominees shall be:

Cars
Happy Feet
Over the Hedge

or, if the extra two nomination berths are activated, add,

Flushed Away
Monster House

Some will claim that Ice Age 2 has a decent shot, but I don't think it does outside of GATSU-land.

Paprika will fail to get nominated due to its "anime film not directed by Hayao Miyazaki" obscurity, unless it gets a huge tidal wave of end of year "Top 5 List" critical momentum and Ebert plugs it on his annual "Memo to the Academy" show, like what happened to Spirited Away, but I just don't see that happening, no matter how good the film is.

Cars wasn't quite on the level of The Incredibles, but I still loved it and am pulling for it to win unless Happy Feet makes me change my mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi: Ice Age 2 was probably the biggest hit this year, so I don't see why it wouldn't win, especially since it'd be getting an award for the first film. What really surprises me, though, is that Hoodwinked didn't make the list.

Anyway, Cars is disappointing, and Pixar already got their Oscar, so I think they're going to be excluded this year. My bets are on Open Season, Monster House, A Scanner Darkly, Over the Hedge and Curious George. However, if we're lucky, Paprika will find its way in there somehow. Anyway, yeah, without a "wide" theatrical release until 2007, Sony's hedging its bets on screeners which the Academy members might not even see. They probably should try to send them copies of Memories and Tokyo Godfathers to help familiarize them with Kon's work. (Assuming that doesn't somehow violate Oscar rules...)
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
They probably should try to send them copies of Memories and Tokyo Godfathers to help familiarize them with Kon's work.

Both of those films were put up for consideration but rejected by the committee so they never made it to the ballot. That was the year Brother Bear got on the ballot.

Frankly I don't think any anime not aimed at kids has a chance for the next several years, the US industry has a hard time thinking of animation as anything but kid fare.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
Cloe, you do realize that "Renaissance" used rotoscoping too, right?

I can see how people could be against "A Scanner Darkly" being nomianted but, at the same time, the movie did take a lot of effort to make nad the end-result is pretty good. Plus I really like Richard Linklater.

Well, it uses motion-capture, technically, since it's 3D animation. But there was still a lot of key animation as well; it used a lot of the same techniques that The Polar Express or Appleseed did, so I consider it much more close to animation than A Scanner Darkly. At the end of the day, what matters to me is whether the animation looks too much like it's tracing motion picture film, which distracted me a lot in A Scanner Darkly. I'm not knocking it or anything; I do appreciate the work that went into it and the result is pretty impressive, but I still don't feel very comfortable categorizing it as "animation."

I really regret not seeing Monster House in the theater; everyone I've talked to just loved it. I'd love to give it a peek before nominations are announced so I have another film to root for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Cowpunk: You're confusing Memories w/ Millennium Actress.

Cloe: Monster House looked like a charming throw-back, but I didn't think it was going to deliver to anyone who had gotten over Goonies.
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Cowpunk: You're confusing Memories w/ Millennium Actress.

ACK!

Thanks, this is what I get for quickly posting during break at work.

I meant to say it was Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers.

animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=144

Only three animated features went on the ballot that year.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I remember, because Dreamworks decided House of Sand of Fog was worth backing more than Millennium Actress, and we all know how that turned out that year. Rolling Eyes (I hear Kon was pissed at them, too.)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:25 am Reply with quote
Gee, and we were just having discussions about anime and Oscars, weren't we?
Tensaku

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:14 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I was hoping Sony was going to wait until next year, but I guess the one-two punch of Shrek 3 and Ratatouie made them nervous. Wink

Don't forget the Simpsons Movie comes out July 27th next year to and I think we should all hope that Paprika gets nominated for an Oscar.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:41 am Reply with quote
The Simpsons movie is lucky if it wins an audience. It's seven years too late to make money.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:34 am Reply with quote
Frankly, I'm just really happy there are *any* entries on that list that are outside the predictable G/PG. I would love to see <i>A Scanner Darkly</i> get at least a nomination, solely to AGAIN remind people that *animation* is not a genre, and that there is *nothing* out there that says an animated feature can't be rated R. And if this reduced it to basically a technical award, well, then so be it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6