• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Europe Picks up Honey & Clover

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
claudi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
About time too!

It's arguably one of, if not the best unlicensed shoujo/josei series out there at the moment.

Interesting that it's only licensed in Europe and they're not testing the water in the States first. I've only heard of that happenning once before, and that was when a French company liscenced the Monster anime which is still unlicensed in America.
Lynx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Lucky Europeans. I can only hope this will be followed up sometime in the future with an announcement on North American shores.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow.....only in the Europe, I guess now we (North American) can be mad because we don't have access to a title that Europe does.
miji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Man, I so hope the Viz licenses this for the States. This is one of my most wanted manga and anime. I really hope that there is a planned US release in the works.
aninut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
seasons 1 and 2?
subaru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I suppose its only season 1, right?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Even though it's only Europe this is still a pretty good sign that they'll consider bringing the it over to America. Then again, the manga is probobly popular in Europe while it isn't even licenced in America. Hopefully Viz will at least release the manga over here.
Gage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
But of course I'd like to see a new anime come to North America. Seems just about right for everyother anime to be released in Japan or Europe. We are always stuck at the end and it sometimes takes years for it to arrive here in the US.

Same with games as well.
claudi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Then again, the manga is probobly popular in Europe while it isn't even licenced in America. Hopefully Viz will at least release the manga over here.

The manga's licensed by a German company (probably Carslen, but don't quote me on that) but that's the only other license outside of Japan. If the manga were popular in Europe I'd expect it to be liscenced in French too at least, there's not much chance of it being licensed in the UK at the moment, the market's too small for niche titles, in fact it's pretty much too small for shoujo/josei in general.

Aside from fruits basket, practically every other tankoubon on the UK shelves is either dragonball, yu-gi-oh or some other overhyped overfranchised shounen series, and I know very few girls who read manga besides me, so I don't think it'd have much of a market. manga's generally not got such a good image with the words anime and manga being more associated with pokemon than Miyazaki.

Come to think of it though, I saw an article on the Honey and Clover Tv series in the spring edition of Coyote (quaterly french magazine about anime/manga) when I was in Belgium. I didn't really get much of the article, but I think it was mainly just explaining what the series was rather than talking about possible resease dates.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
claudi wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:
Then again, the manga is probobly popular in Europe while it isn't even licenced in America. Hopefully Viz will at least release the manga over here.

The manga's licensed by a German company (probably Carslen, but don't quote me on that) but that's the only other license outside of Japan.

Actually, it's Tokyopop Germany. They have ties with Shueisha so a lot of stuff that would be under Viz in the US (e.g. Death Note, Bleach, Ichigo 100%) is held by TP.de in Germany.

(But why, oh whyyyy are American licensors being so quiet on Honey and Clover? Is the market really that bad that we're doomed to babes, guns, and blood for the rest of our fanboy lives? Do they hate good anime? Is there some A.T. Field parked around the H&C franchise that it can't come to America until a Democratic president is elected or something?)
shawurai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
claudi wrote:
The manga's licensed by a German company (probably Carslen, but don't quote me on that) but that's the only other license outside of Japan. If the manga were popular in Europe I'd expect it to be liscenced in French too at least,

The manga is not licensed in France. While a couple of new manga licenses have been announced in France today, Honey & Clover manga is still nowhere in sight of coming to France/Belgium.
seichan80

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quote
ooh. will they dub it in english?
hm, a dub with british accents would be pretty interesting to listen to.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
(But why, oh whyyyy are American licensors being so quiet on Honey and Clover? Is the market really that bad that we're doomed to babes, guns, and blood for the rest of our fanboy lives? Do they hate good anime? Is there some A.T. Field parked around the H&C franchise that it can't come to America until a Democratic president is elected or something?)
They won the House; not sure about the Senate. I suspect we'd be seeing a Democratic Congress by the end of the day.

So yes, ANNOUNCE IT ALREADY! THE DEMOCRATS WON! GAH! HULK NEEDS H&C! HULK...

ahem.

Interesting that there is apparently a market for the title in Europe, though; or at least apparently Viz Europe thinks so.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Wow.....only in the Europe, I guess now we (North American) can be mad because we don't have access to a title that Europe does.

Well, we DO have Say Hello to Black Jack and Twentieth Century Boys already... and that's only in Holland Smile. I know for one the French have acces to tons of series that have never appeared in English at all. I imagine they'll have their edition of H&C pretty soon, since Viz Media BV services all of Europe and there's bound to be a sublicensor out there with half a brain Wink
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Stuff like Trinity Blood gets licensed but Honey And Clover still isn't in the US? Look at ANN's rating for the obvious difference, damn. O.o

Go Europe

/Loves me avatar
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2