• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Byousoku 5 cm Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Okay, who chose that theme song?! Mad While it's not a bad song itself, its rocky tune is completely incompatible with Shinkai's style and Tenmon's BGM.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
NZbeedee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Damn I hope this is released in HD.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
The transition to the song was a bit jarring, but that song sounds good as well as the BGM. =D>

I hope that ADV brings this one over soon too.
nobinobita

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:26 am Reply with quote
This movie has some of the best colors I've ever seen in ... anything! The color choices are incredibly innovative. They're so evocative of life, but so stylized at the same time. Whoever is overseeing the color in this movie is a modern Vermeer.

Just try still framing any shot in the trailer. The colors are gorgeous and completely original.

Like, in the cherry blossom scene ...

The shadows have a sublte pink/purple gradient in the penumbra. And look at the shading on the characters--the girl has blue midshadows on top of warm tones! And the blue is pulled from the backdrop!

There's so much reflective light going on in this film, a 2-D film!

I love it because its so intentional, so confident, so evocative.

It's not just real life, and it's not a shading engine--someone had to individually select every single color in there. It's stuff like this that really knocks me out about what's going on in the Japanese Animation industry right now.
Fixen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote
This movie beats any anime film I've seen in the artistic field. As much as he would deny it, I'll still say that Makoto Shinkai is the new Miyazaki. I just couldn't find another 2D film that can use such well-blended lighting and colors in such a mundane setting.

The music is fabulous. The piano leading up to One More Time, One More Chance fits everything really well. Does anyone have that song by any chance or know where to get it? 1996 is pretty far in history for an avid downloader to dig for.

It's been on the top of my watch list for Spring 2007 since like...April. ;)
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:06 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Okay, who chose that theme song?! Mad While it's not a bad song itself, its rocky tune is completely incompatible with Shinkai's style and Tenmon's BGM.

According to Impress and CoMix Wave, the director himself concluded the song was suitable for the anime in question after having listened to many songs.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:26 am Reply with quote
tenkado-shujin wrote:
According to Impress and CoMix Wave, the director himself concluded the song was suitable for the anime in question after having listened to many songs.

Lyric, maybe, but the music... I wonder what Tenmon would say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:50 am Reply with quote
We may never know what Tenmon would say thank goodness. Could you imagine another Gedo Senki level controversy? Laughing

I still think that the song is sweet. I hope that this couple gets their act together.

Is Shinkai divorced or widowed? Relationships and separation seem to be a recurrent theme of his.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:26 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Is Shinkai divorced or widowed? Relationships and separation seem to be a recurrent theme of his.

Please don't curse Mika-san.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1