• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Gift of the Magi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
The Magi manga is something I definitely need to get started on right away. Just need to finish up Sailor Moon first, and get the next Temeraire book, Blood of Tyrants.

God I miss Tactics. I know the TV series added an extra character who most people despised (come on, she wasn't that annoying), but overall it was fun to watch; totally loved the opening song too. I definitely want to scoop up all volumes of the manga when I get a chance. This was so enjoyable, it's just such a shame it came to an end here with nothing to save it.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
It's easy to take for granted how rare a justified tragedy is in this day and age. Meaning is an elusive creature.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Tactics was actually released a third time, by JManga, and continued through to new translations of volumes 9-12 (which I worked on). Unfortunately, JManga didn't last long past that, as many of you know, and since it was web-only people couldn't keep copies (not legally anyway). I'm surprised that Mag Garden's willing to take on the English-speaking market a fourth time - who's doing that Kindle release?

Edit: Appears to be some company called "A-Net Digital LLC" doing the Kindle release, and according to reviews it seems to be the ADV-Manga translation, not the Tokyopop one, so not sure there'll be more than the 3 volumes made available that way. Shame, I'd love to do volumes 13 & higher - the story was just starting to get really good too!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't exactly see how Shigure spoiler[sticking his finger in Yukina's mouth] is "crossing the line"....unless the writer felt uncomfortable about how erotically the scene is drawn....Anime hyper
But the action alone, that's no big deal...*shrugs*
skafreak51

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I come in here every time hoping that there might be something worth reading that I don't already know about, but alas.

I'm saddened that there's so much great manga in Japan and we just get the scraps that they know will sell here but aren't all that great. (Though, we do get a gem from time to time.)
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
BonnKansan wrote:
Tactics was actually released a third time, by JManga, and continued through to new translations of volumes 9-12 (which I worked on). Unfortunately, JManga didn't last long past that, as many of you know, and since it was web-only people couldn't keep copies (not legally anyway). I'm surprised that Mag Garden's willing to take on the English-speaking market a fourth time - who's doing that Kindle release?

Edit: Appears to be some company called "A-Net Digital LLC" doing the Kindle release, and according to reviews it seems to be the ADV-Manga translation, not the Tokyopop one, so not sure there'll be more than the 3 volumes made available that way. Shame, I'd love to do volumes 13 & higher - the story was just starting to get really good too!

I bought and read the JManga volumes you did. I really enjoyed them. Good job. I wish you could have continued as well. I was ecstatic when it was rescued, because Tokyopop went belly-up right at a cliffhanger. Then JManga did the same thing, only at a bigger cliffhanger a few volumes later.

I can only laugh through my tears.

Just wanted to say I appreciated your work on it, and thank you.
ladybastet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:18 am Reply with quote
I looked for the Tactics manga after watching the anime which I loved. I couldn't find any paper ones at a reasonable price and turned to a scanlation. That didn't work out either. The translation was uneven and ranged from just bad to totally dismal. I wish it had been completed but I won't hold my breath since it is too old and apparently English speakers don't want Japanese folklore if what is released in manga and anime is any indication.
Twage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
I encourage Carlos to read Vol. 2 of Yamada-kun, because it contains an incident that I just couldn't forgive the manga for. Sexual assault is never funny, and it's sad especially that a female mangaka could be so tonedeaf as to try to play it for laughs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1