• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman: Intolerable Cruelty

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm not being that picky, but in regards to your Dragonball Z collection, there have been two rather very, all encompasing collections of Dragonball Z, that contain all 291 original Japanese episodes, Both TV specials, and the Anaimation used in the playdia games. However they're a Region 2 release, and both boxes catch around $1600 US. In addition to that, they arent translated, just raw Japanese.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Steve, the guy writing in already knew that.

"I know the series is well over 200 episodes, but in Japan they released the Dragon Box Vol. 1 & 2."

So why does my answer need that info? Proof that people are so quick with the correction trigger finger that they don't even bother reading the whole column before whining.

-Z
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Just want to mention that Yuu Watase is working a a new manga called Zettai Kareshi *absolute boyfriend* It's... her attempt at Chobits I suppose. All those girls who complained about Chii won't be complaining about Knight once they read this. >.>
ashram12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:22 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of Watase Yu, I think her artistic problems are pretty common place amongst manga artists. I can understand that drawing different characters can be hard, but it's downright confusing when two characters in the same series look alike (and they're not twins in the series). Sometimes I wonder whether a lot of mangaka even take art courses.
I've heard that a lot of mangaka start in their late teens, early twenties, which could explain why their drawing aren't particularly good..
vandalthorne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I think one of the problems we have in the states is that all of the art is monochrome black & white. In full color there are probably color cues permitting improved differentiation of characters with similar features.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:42 pm Reply with quote
^^

That shouldn't matter for good character designs.

Matt Groening (sp?) has said that "the sign of good character design is the abilty to identify a character by their silhouette"

I dare any one try that with Watase Yu.
sacchan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:50 pm Reply with quote
?? Manga art is usually all black and white in Japan, too (except for the cover).

As for differentiating characters, I think shonen and seinen mangaka does it better than most shojo mangaka. Shojo mangaka usually focuses more on making everything look pretty and the story romantic or setsunai (that's what we girls want Wink ).
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac, was that p.s. quote from "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure"? Or was it from "Summer School"? Good pull, BTW.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:57 pm Reply with quote
It's from Bill & Ted. "It's like... computers..."

-Z
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:38 am Reply with quote
Spare the whip, I misread it.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:54 am Reply with quote
sacchan wrote:
?? Manga art is usually all black and white in Japan, too (except for the cover).

As for differentiating characters, I think shonen and seinen mangaka does it better than most shojo mangaka. Shojo mangaka usually focuses more on making everything look pretty and the story romantic or setsunai (that's what we girls want :wink: ).

>.> I don't think that's the problem at all. Look at Rumiko Takahashi. I really have problems telling her Ranma characters apart. They all look the same. Then take a look at Kaori Yuki's manga and try and find a single character out of that giant cast that looks similar to another.

It all depends on the manga-ka's personal style.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:42 am Reply with quote
I think you're dead on there, wolf. From watching some of Takahashi's work over the years (from Urusei Yatsura up through InuYasha), it seems that almost all of her female characters look the same. The hairstyles may differ slightly, but the facial features are all pretty standard.

I'll admit that I don't have tons of knowledge about her stuff, but I think I've seen enough to make an educated leap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:04 am Reply with quote
Someone once told me Betty and Veronica from Archie are really the same girl, when you take out the color.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:39 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Someone once told me Betty and Veronica from Archie are really the same girl, when you take out the color.

I agree there. It really is hard to make different looking characters when all you have is black and white. Thats one reason anime has funky hair colors.

It's so nice that color pages ARE regularly inserted with the manga *be them covers or actual color pages* and that if people look close enough they can actually notice differences such as eye shape. >.> I hate bashing on a manga-ka's style.
ashram12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:43 am Reply with quote
[quote="sacchan"]
As for differentiating characters, I think shonen and seinen mangaka does it better than most shojo mangaka. Shojo mangaka usually focuses more on making everything look pretty and the story romantic or setsunai (that's what we girls want :wink: ).[/quote]

I agree. From what I've seen shonen mangaka draw better. For instance, a lot of the panels in shonen manga show the characters in their surroundings whereas in shojo manga, a lot of the panels has characters surrounded by empty space. It may be a stylistic difference due to the fact that shojo is more"emotional" than "action-oriented", but I think some artists use that style has a crutch.
Apart from the "recycling" character design, I hate it when mangaka just recycle the same character in their series. While watching Ayashi no Ceres, I had the feeling of watching a continuation of Fushigi Yugi. It was like: this character is like Nakago, this character is like Keisuke...and so on and so forth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2