• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
gantz manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jak000012

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
has anyone ever read the gantz manga? just wandering because i wanna know what happens next after the anime is over with. also this post is open for disscusion of gantz.

Last edited by jak000012 on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I have read the Gantz manga, but have not seen the anime. I can tell you that the anime is pretty non-canonical when it comes to the ending, because spoiler[Kurono is still with everybody fighting to escape from Gantz.]
jak000012

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote
is there any english gantz manga? also, the anime is very good. Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote
jak000012 wrote:
is there any english gantz manga? also, the anime is very good. Very Happy

No. There are no English manga. There isn't even any word as to who has licensed it yet.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I have read the Gantz manga, but have not seen the anime. I can tell you that the anime is pretty non-canonical when it comes to the ending, because spoiler[Kurono is still with everybody fighting to escape from Gantz.]

spoiler[No, Kurono is dead. HS slashed him up, remember?]

OP: The Gantz manga is incredible, far better than the subpar anime series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jak000012

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
sweet! thanks for letting me know that guys. btw, at the end of the final episode of gantz, i could hear him being transported back to the room so he's still alive technicly........
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
jak000012 wrote:
sweet! thanks for letting me know that guys. btw, at the end of the final episode of gantz, i could hear him being transported back to the room so he's still alive technicly........

spoiler[I wasn't talking about the anime.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:

HUH?! I didn't read up to that point. I was actually referring to the difference between the time frame of the anime ending and the part of the manga where the anime ends.
bennyb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
coolerimmortal wrote:

HUH?! I didn't read up to that point. I was actually referring to the difference between the time frame of the anime ending and the part of the manga where the anime ends.

That's really recent, like only 5 chapters back from the latest.
jak000012

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:45 pm Reply with quote
in this past week i just read 237 chapters, and the manga is very very good indeed. Very Happy and also, spoiler[ kei dies in the very end.]

[EDIT: Learn to use spoiler tags. -TK]
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote
I used to read it but it's so slow and it takes forever for new chapters to come out.

[EDIT: Ooooh look at me, I think I have power. -TK]

Last edited by I_AM_L on Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
free2slap

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote
I_AM_L wrote:
I used to read it but it's so slow and it takes forever for new chapters to come out.

Believe me, at least it's better being slow than no chapter at all Wink , Although i think i read somewhere and probably was some biassed fan speculation that the mangakan was rather interested in working on another manga. I do love Gantz but at the same time i don't really, not excessively to a point that i'm madly enjoying it. But it's likely that i'm more interested in the mangakan particular approach of creating his manga, though Gantz has many flaws but i still think that he can do better if he continue on another work. therefore i'd prefer if Gantz was dropped.
Subaru19

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere along the line I thought this got licensed, but I guess I should have known better to think that a series as graphic and violent as this would have been licensed here already. I loved what I read of Gantz when I was in Japan. The collection I saw, which was actually in the lobby of this ryokan we were all staying at, had I think the first 20 or so chapters. I was surprised to see nearly nude girls between the volumes. Embarassed

Still I hope it comes over here at some point. I'd certainly put some money into it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Subaru19 wrote:
The collection I saw, which was actually in the lobby of this ryokan we were all staying at, had I think the first 20 or so chapters. I was surprised to see nearly nude girls between the volumes. Embarassed

Yeah, those pinups are one of the main reasons why I read the manga back in the Japan, sure there was some interesting stuff in the story itself spoiler[(such as Kurono literally asking a girl to have sex with him, which she did)], but the author was also able to create the character of Kurono spoiler[(who I have no idea of whether he is the main character anymore or not)] to be really hateable with that poor whiny attitude of his.
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
One of the best things about this manga (besides violence and gore) is the character development. Kurono was a spoiled immature brat at the beginning of the series, but later on becomes more mature especially after spoiler[Everyone else on his team dies, and he dates Tae.] I think alot of the lasting appeal in this manga is in the characters and how they grow through their experiences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2