• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Licenses the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinigamiZero16

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:13 am Reply with quote
Awesomeness, i just saw the video on the asosbrigade.com and cant wait! i just started watching the series though, but its hilarious. Im also guessing that this means Patricia Lee is voicing haruhi as well though?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animedude35

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:14 am Reply with quote
LOL, someone should look at the video they put on the site, it's crazy, and the asian pink ranger is back!

Anyways, I'm surprised that Bandai got it, but I'm glad. If they took this much time to create their own video to announce it, then they are going to take care of the series.

edit: if you watch the video to the end, Kadokawa Pictures USA did get the rights to the series, and the production of it will go to Bandai =)

Last edited by Animedude35 on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:15 am Reply with quote
I had a strange feeling Bandai would get this. I'm not sure why. It's about time someone other than ADV and Funimation license something good (nothing against those two, just saying).

Is this thread getting merged with the other, or are two super threads going to become a reality come tomorrow? Wink

Sniped x3!

Last edited by Renaisance Otaku on Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
musashi1600

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:15 am Reply with quote
Great, now people who shun downloads like me can see what the hype is about. (Oddly enough, it seemed to me most people were predicting this license to go to either ADV or Geneon. Good news for Bandai, anyway.) Very Happy

By the way, wasn't there something about copyright issues regarding the Playboy bunny suit floating around a while ago? Was that just some unsubstatiated rumor?
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:23 am Reply with quote
I thought Kadokawa USA bought the rights and just having Bandai do the work?

Anyway, this is just a fun ...weird announcement. Still some ways till more details are avaiable.

Wonder when ANN will SOS the joint
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:25 am Reply with quote
I want my DVDs now! :O
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:32 am Reply with quote
I'd better get to my bunker, this crap's not going away.
Anony'mouse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:35 am Reply with quote
Christ, it's licensed by Kadokawa Pictures USA. Distribution is by Bandai. The girl who played Yuki even announced it.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:37 am Reply with quote
Anony'mouse wrote:
Christ, it's licensed by Kadokawa Pictures USA. Distribution is by Bandai. The girl who plays Yuki even announced it.

Except that everyone KNEW that Kadokawa had a piece of it, and the video was really making the point that Bandai is the company that got involved. Or did you miss the whole giant "Bandai Entertainment" banner in the background there? The rest was said more like stating technicalities.
RezSav

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:47 am Reply with quote
Cool. Can't wait to see episode 00 again.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:49 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Anony'mouse wrote:
Christ, it's licensed by Kadokawa Pictures USA. Distribution is by Bandai. The girl who plays Yuki even announced it.

Except that everyone KNEW that Kadokawa had a piece of it, and the video was really making the point that Bandai is the company that got involved. Or did you miss the whole giant "Bandai Entertainment" banner in the background there? The rest was said more like stating technicalities.

Quoting from your own post (thanks for transcribing), bold text by me:

ACDragonMaster wrote:
Yuki: [...] shinjouhou ga hairimashita. Suzumiya Haruhi no mokube ni okeru hatsubai moto wa Kadokawa Pictures USA. Hanbai moto wa Bandai Entertainment ni [...]

If one just grab any dictionary without knowing Japanese business structure, one might find either hatsubai (発売) and hanbai (販売) can be translated as "to sale / to market". However, hatsubai is the party which initiated the sale i.e. the right holder, while hanbai is the party which takes care of the actual works of selling i.e. distribution. Therefore, the pattern is identical to that of Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, of which Kadokawa Pictures USA is the right holder while Funimation is the distributor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:54 am Reply with quote
Well, assuming I transcribed that accurately, I'm definitely not very good at dealing with spoken Japanese, but...

In any case, the main point of the announcement is that Bandai acquired rights to the series. Hence the news post, and so on.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:56 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Well, assuming I transcribed that accurately, I'm definitely not very good at dealing with spoken Japanese, but...

In any case, the main point of the announcement is that Bandai acquired rights to the series. Hence the news post, and so on.

Just the opposite; I was saying that your transcription was correct, but the front page news isn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
domino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:57 am Reply with quote
Wow. I couldn't stand what I saw of the Haruhi TV anime, but the sheer awesomeness of the video on the website makes me want to give the show another try. Creative and amazing way to license an anime. I tip my internet-hat at Bandai.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:58 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Just the opposite; I was saying that your transcription was correct, but the front page news isn't.

But how exactly is it incorrect? It is correct to say that Bandai acquired rights to the series, and the video was definitely emphasizing that point what with the huge banner and all...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11