• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[Is Avatar: The Last Airbender anime?]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jirachi.is.cute

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Can someone who's heard of or who knows of Avatar: the Last Airbender tell me if it is an anime or not because, even though I do not know much about animes I've seen enough to know what they look like, Avatar looks like an anime but my friend says it isn't. And ANN does not have it in their encyclipedia.

[EDIT: Changed your topic to be more specific. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Avatar: The Last Airbender is American produced, therefore, technically not anime. And that's why it's not in the Encyclopedia. It looks like anime because they are taking advantage of the "in" trend and style of the actual anime currently popular with children.
jirachi.is.cute

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh. Alrighty. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
It's not. My friend thinks it is(wonder if he thinks Dick Cheney is a robot?). Just because a show LOOKS like an anime doesn't mean it IS. Kappa Mikey has anime-like character designs but that doesn't mean it IS an anime. Megaman Legends(a video game) has anime character designs as well but that doesn't make it an anime. Your friend is right. Avatar is not, and never will be an anime. It's a disgrace. As for your ANN not having it on here question, it's not on here because it had no association with Japan. Aeon Flux was added because its creator worked on Reign the Conqueor(Don't know if you heard of it). I'm also glad it's not listed. We don't need Avatards coming on here and voting Masterpiece every minute.

Sorry if I sounded crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jirachi.is.cute

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
That's ok. I was just wondering.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Awright. And welcome to ANN. Hope you like it here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jirachi.is.cute

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. I've known about for a couple of months but finally decided to join.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Avatar is an American show. But it however does have an Asian setting and background and it does look like anime. But no, it isn't anime.

As for "does ANN have it on the Encyclopedia?", They don't really have it. Nor do they have it in the hidden "Not Anime But Related" section because anything not really anime has to be related to a particular one or if it was made by a Japanese person who did make an anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jirachi.is.cute

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Ya. I guess that was why I thought it was an anime.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, anime basically just means "animation produced in Japan"--regardless of the quality of the show or movie in question, or the style it's drawn in.

I should note, though--being american isn't exactly a bad thing. I think people who disregard a show as "trash" just because it spoofs or has as style inspired by anime should really sit down and watch these shows first before trashing them. So don't feel bad if you do like Avatar--enjoy it, regardless of what people think. Just know it's not anime. ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1