• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Masaaki Yuasa & I.G's 'Kick-Heart' Runs on Toonami Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanechin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Given the choice between well-animated but grotesque and stiffly-animated but moé cute, I'll take the moé every time.

And that's why so many new anime suck, the masses want crap.

[AS]Toonami ruined the surprise early, mentioned kick heart during the first or second commercial break then on their coming up next, eva 2.22»kick heart»star wars. It was ok, would rather have more of kick heart instead of 5 LN moe adaptions every season.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:32 am Reply with quote
kanechin wrote:

And that's why so many new anime suck, the masses want crap.

I don't know if "masses" applies to moé, it's a tiny subniche fandom amongst anime fans in the west, and it's even a niche in Japan, it just so happens that that particular niche is the one that actually buys the physical media that funds more of what they like.

Personally, I'm open to things not-moé being good, but I found Kick-Heart visually unappealing and the rest of the package wasn't interesting enough to redeem it. I had to watch an episode of Strawberry Marshmallow immediately after to wash the foul taste out of my... eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BelieberHokageSasuke

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
ohmfgstfu i am so going to watch this. i just hope one peace and bleach get cancelled from toonami and get replaced by more naruto or sword art online and other good anime
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It was sort of a fun little romp, but nothing special. Certainly not worth all the getting worked up about people did.

Considering that Yuasa's artistic genius stems on the commonly exploited "self-insert" protags that otaku's love so much, Yuasa, once again, proves how to use it to make statements for society; he did it with Mind Game, T. Galaxy, Kaiba, and now here.

What do the spoiler[sensor bars mean on the main two leads]? Just that many people have spoiler[guilty sides]. Personally, it was very deep; in an attempt to be their true selves to achieve completeness, they find a comrade who accepts them.
It was cute and satisfying. And Epcar was Bobobo-class funny. Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I had to watch an episode of Strawberry Marshmallow immediately after to wash the foul taste out of my... eyes.

You realize how weird this is, right? It's just an art style.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
What do the spoiler[sensor bars mean on the main two leads]? Just that many people have spoiler[guilty sides]. Personally, it was very deep; in an attempt to be their true selves to achieve completeness, they find a comrade who accepts them.

I can understand that logic, but I personally just took it to also represent the whole tradition of masked wrestlers' real identities being sacred secrets. Admittedly, though, that's followed more in Mexico than in Japan, I think.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Admittedly, though, that's followed more in Mexico than in Japan, I think.

Certainly a superbly chosen backdrop fitting for a short and the source of conflict for the protags.
I make any further induction based on the symbolism and Yuasa's refined style. (man, I hope this short gets his other stuff out there... my shelf needs a T. Galaxy)
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well I missed it do to I watch the Index movie
Shaterri

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(man, I hope this short gets his other stuff out there... my shelf needs a T. Galaxy)

For what it's worth, both Tatami Galaxy and Kaiba are available legally with English subs; Siren Visual out of Australia has translated and subbed both. It's not a US-region DVD, but that at least I suspect will be less of an impediment for most fans...
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's not a US-region DVD, but that at least I suspect will be less of an impediment for most fans...

Indeed, but unfortunately, I am not most; aside from regions, I'd like a BD-copy.
I'm just glad that Kick-Heart shows he's still got it. Madhouse need to give him another 11 episodes. He certainly knows what to do with it versus a certain Uro-butcher.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I hope this airs on Canadian television at some point though I doubt it will.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Reminded me of something you'd see on late night MTV in the 90s, when they had that anthology show. Kick-Heart told a solid and entertaining story in under fifteen minutes. It was weird and grotesque, but I liked it.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was odd but them I saw studio 4C in the credits. Then the art style clicked.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I'll say that Toonami made a bold choice in running Kick-Heart on TV, but yeah, TOM saying "Production I.G's Kick Heart" is not going to mean anything to the casuals who watch Toonami.

At least this Eva showing was better than the first one in that the bonus goodie actually was worth something.

As for me, I was iffy on the premise and then I saw that incredibly ugly art and I just turned off my TV. Sorry, it goes in the Aku no Potato pile.

At least in a few years time, the airing of Attack on Titan and/or Gargantia seems more likely.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
Reminded me of something you'd see on late night MTV in the 90s, when they had that anthology show. Kick-Heart told a solid and entertaining story in under fifteen minutes. It was weird and grotesque, but I liked it.

Liquid Television? Yeah, this would fit right in.

I always have to applaud originality, and while the story is pretty much as BDSM take on Frey Tormenta/Nacho Libre, it is told so uniquely via the animation as to be surreal and wonderful. It's not explicit, but it's weird in a good way. Kinda reminds me of Waking Life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3