• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Rumbling Hearts and Grumbling Tummies

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
All I have to say is a lot of money went into that shelf. I don't think I could ever afford that... Laughing
animalia555

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Unfotunatley, unlike the manga, the Black Cat anime goes downhill pretty fast. That's what you get for trying to cram a 20 volume manga series into 23 episodes of a TV series.
liloaznangel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I just finished Watching Magic Knight Rayearth after getting it for Christmas, and it is indeed one awesome series Anime smile Two thumbs up~!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
If the snow in Denver half-melted and then froze over into ice the way it does in Eastern Canada, I doubt you could skate on it as it's never nice and even, just lumpy and broken up by footprints and tire tracks. Unless a zamboni evened out the surface, I suppose, though I believe that if you used a zamboni on street ice, the ice would just crumble as it's not nearly as thick as arena ice.

Magic Knight Rayearth would probably be my pick for the best TV anime of 1994, if you're not counting Sailor Moon S as a "new" series. That's unless I was in the mood for Marmalade Boy melodrama when I was making my choice, but Rayearth has better character designs and cheerier colours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Good Lord I thought that was a shelf at Best Buy. Some one has way more money then me. And yes I am very very envious.
WEKS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
That shelf right there has a bigger selection of anime than any store (or all of them combined even) selling anime here Finland. I'm not even joking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
Unfotunatley, unlike the manga, the Black Cat anime goes downhill pretty fast. That's what you get for trying to cram a 20 volume manga series into 23 episodes of a TV series.

I've read the first 5 volumes of the manga and I"ve lost interest. But the anime seems to be quite a bit different from the manga. In the manga, Train doesn't have a boss. He and Sven are buddies, not rivals, and just take whatever bounties they can to make money. Eve (the blond haired girl on the cover in the review) gets rescued from some rich evil guy in the first volume of the manga, but doesn't seem to even get mentioned in the review. Unless she's become a kimono-clad bounty hunter, but I think that refers to someone else, which would be another huge difference from the manga.

Shelf Life on Rumbling Hearts wrote:
The series is unlike any other shonen romance I've ever seen before

Well, that's because its not exactly a shonen romance. It's an ero game/visual novel adaptation.

Shelf Life on Fate/Stay Night wrote:
Having never played the original game, I'm not certain at which point in the story you got to see breasts, but I've always been somewhat impressed by the ability of anime creators to take an erotic game and turn it into a respectable series.

The game was plenty respectable to begin with. It wasn't like they were trying to turn Do You Like Horny Bunnies? into a respectable anime. The story was the reason to play it and the hardcore hanky panky was a bonus. But there is one point where you will know that there was a sex scene in the original. The anime kind of tiptoes around it, but not without some nice fanservice beforehand. Smile

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thefluff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
although I never played the game I LOVED THE FATE/Stay night Series

its up there on my top 7 list (not that i've made a list, but if I did im sure it would be on there)
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
This is more of a logistics question, but remember how there are always links in the Releases webpage linking to the corresponding Shelf Life? Well, now since you briefly reviewed titles like Fate/stay night with the new Shelf Life format, how come there are no links in the Release page?

release#7503

I mean, there are supposed to be a link to the Shelf Life, right?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
This was my first time being snowed in...ever.

The first storm was cool. The second...I had a really bad case of cabin fever with the second. Anime hyper

I really like the new 'Shelf Obsessed' segment, it's really cool. ^^ I'd do it, but my collection is really pitiful (all I have is the full set of Princess Tutu, the first volume of Fruits Basket, some of the FMA discs, and Howl's Moving Castle).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
This is more of a logistics question, but remember how there are always links in the Releases webpage linking to the corresponding Shelf Life? Well, now since you briefly reviewed titles like Fate/stay night with the new Shelf Life format, how come there are no links in the Release page?

release#7503

I mean, there are supposed to be a link to the Shelf Life, right?

Oh snap, you're right. I didn't even notice that. I wonder if that can still be done with the new system...
maichips

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Oh, goodness, I'm so envious of that shelf's owner! I don't have much anime, but my manga is nearly falling off my shelf...

Would sending in a pic of my manga shelf be alright for Shelf Obsessed? That'd be my only chance... Sad
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
The more I read about Rumbling Hearts, The more it reminds me of Kimagure Orange Road but without the gimmicks.
scortia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Haha, ditto, if I could include manga on my shelf with my dvds I'd have a way better chance. Razz

I'm not a big fan of MKR, I prefer X/1999, RG Veda, and CCS in terms of CLAMP titles, but it is a good bit of anime nostalgia.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
im am happy to say that I might have him beat. I'll try to get it all in one place soon.

I would have though Slayers was one of the best of 94. Unless that came out much earlier.

I'm going to have to pick up Rumbling Hearts & Fate Stay Night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3