• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Manga on Booklist

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quote
What is the usual staying power of these titles?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Obviously, it was the climax of the Christmas shopping season, where feverish sales of mainstream books push individual volumes of serialized graphic novels off the charts entirely.

They'll be back on the list later this month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Obviously, it was the climax of the Christmas shopping season, where feverish sales of mainstream books push individual volumes of serialized graphic novels off the charts entirely.

Yeah exactly after looking at the list there were several different Christmas books that won't be there on the following book list. I am wondering if Bleach will ever break into this list, or did it?

Delta
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
What is the usual staying power of these titles?

Depends on the time of year. Volume 14 had Furuba as high as #24 on the list. But as others have stated, people buying tons of other "gift" books means the manga titles got pushed off the list. I had thought that they might not be pushed completely off, but that's Christmas for you. We'll see if both titles show up again next week.
kiraralove

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Yeah, looks like nobody wanted manga for christmas...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, the thing is that the latest volumes sold more or less only to people who were already buying the series.

If there was any Christmas bump for manga from new readers or existing readers buying for friends, it would be with the first couple of volumes of a series, which the people who are already Naruto or Fruits Basket readers already have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
kiraralove wrote:

Yeah, looks like nobody wanted manga for christmas...

I don't think that was it. Speaking as someone who worked the bookstore business for several years to pay for his book habit, I can tell you that Christmas time is insane for book sales. So the sheer numbers of books that get bought are way above normal and many are not books that would be common sellers throughout the year. Plus, publishers try to push certain titles meaning they will be on end caps or other promotional place. I don't think manga was in any such promo places within bookstores (at least, it wasn't in the few I hit during the month of December).

Unfortunately, the U.S.A. Today list doesn't show the actual number of sales. I suspect that sales of Furuba and Naruto weren't any less than before. The numbers of titles sold were just swallowed by the increased volume in sales of other titles.

I'm not convinced either title will be back in the top 150 (I could be wrong though). However, when Fruits Basket #16 is released in April, I suspect we'll see it rise up fairly high in the rankings.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
it seemed like a lot of manga was bought burning x-mas though. In the shops/bookstores i frequent many of the titles were gone- and the clerks told me people had been buying. I guess not enough to do a dent though.

Borders had a lot of money off promotions-30% off a purchase of $10 & many buy 2 get 1 free along with buy 4 get one free.

I think I bought about 15-20 mangas this month alone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Eruanna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Ummm.....
How is this news? So no manga titles made it onto the booklist.... I dont see why that matters. Manga is a niche market after all... if mangas usually make it onto the list thats great, but its not that big of a deal if they dont.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saviour Atrhun Zala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Ummm.....
How is this news? So no manga titles made it onto the booklist.... I don't see why that matters. Manga is a niche market after all... if mangas usually make it onto the list thats great, but its not that big of a deal if they don't.

Most people want to hear about it. It's something they might actually be interested in, that's why it's news
Amibite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I never understood why they put manga under "books" and not "comics". They're Japanese comics, not Japanese books
Rolling Eyes
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I am wondering if Bleach will ever break into this list, or did it?

Delta

I'm pretty sure tt was on the list at one point earlier this year.

For the week ending August 6, Bleach vol. 14 jumped from #192 to #146.

Amibite wrote:
I never understood why they put manga under "books" and not "comics". They're Japanese comics, not Japanese books

Because graphic novels (the format manga is usually published in) are books. Comic can be published in a book format and that's how manga is done 99% of the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1