• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Utawarerumono

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116_v2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:24 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen any of Utawarerumono yet (only enough to come up with my own alternate title for it, "Foxgirls Gone Wild"), but it looks good and may wind up as a shameless "Buy the box and singles post-thinpack release when TRSI puts them on clearance" series. Still, I have to say that ADV's come up with some rather creative cross-promotional marketing for the series...I was watching volume 2 of Comic Party Revolution on Thanksgiving, and at 14:25 of episode 9, the subtitles have this line:
Taishi wrote:
You are wrong about that, Comrade Mizuki. I got shot in order to lure the enemy into letting their guard down, an ingenious plan worthy of Hakuoro!
But, the English dub goes as follows:
Taishi wrote:
You are wrong about that, Comrade Mizuki. I got shot in order to lure the enemy into letting their guard down, a plan worthy of Utawarerumono, ComingSoonFromADV!
Yes, that's right, product placement has penetrated the anime world as well Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
But now they're getting some quality programming like Kino's Journey, Pani Poni Dash!, and TUYBW.

Kino's came out in 2004. Pani Poni Dash is being released next month and will have more volumes in 2007 than 2006. Can you list anything else that you liked from ADV besides Ugly Yet Beautiful that was released in 2006? The only ones I can think had more volumes in 2005, like Gilgamesh, and Area 88.

2005 had Area 88, Chrono Crusade, Cromartie High, E's Otherwise, Elfen Lied, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, Gantz, Getbackers, Peacemaker, and Yugo.

The best series I can think of from 2005 is Jinki Extend, although I didn't watch Hakugei Moby Dick, Godannar, or Shadow SKill which I avoided. The only series that has gotten any good reviews besides This Ugly from ADV in 2006 was Kaleido Star.

2005 had many more titles worth watching compared to 2006 for ADV titles although 2007 already has a couple ADV titles that I'm interested in.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Kino's came out in 2004. Pani Poni Dash is being released next month and will have more volumes in 2007 than 2006. Can you list anything else that you liked from ADV besides Ugly Yet Beautiful that was released in 2006? The only ones I can think had more volumes in 2005, like Gilgamesh, and Area 88.
Yes, mentioning Kino's Journey was a bit dated but it is such a wonderful show I thought it was worth mentioning regardless. Plus it was rereleased more recently in thinpack form. Although I haven't watched any Utawarerumono yet, I am excited about it and it is the type of show I know I'd enjoy so that counts.

Specifically for 2006 there hasn't been much but I think it's attributable to companies overall being more cautious and I think it was smart for ADV to also ease back to recuperate from their many failures in the 2000-2003 timeframe. One 2006 show I must mention that I did not watch much of but completely screams of the type of shows that ADV releases is UFO Ultramaiden / Princess Valkyrie. A somewhat enjoyable show but not all that popular.

2005 I agree with you was a better year for ADV with shows like Yumeria, Place Promised in our Early Days and Yugo the Negotiator.
Zalis116_v2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:57 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Past wrote:
But now they're getting some quality programming like Kino's Journey, Pani Poni Dash!, and TUYBW.

Kino's came out in 2004. Pani Poni Dash is being released next month and will have more volumes in 2007 than 2006. Can you list anything else that you liked from ADV besides Ugly Yet Beautiful that was released in 2006?

2005 had many more titles worth watching compared to 2006 for ADV titles although 2007 already has a couple ADV titles that I'm interested in.
I can think of a few titles I liked that had a majority of their discs released in 2006: Ghost Stories, Diamond Daydreams, Comic Party: Revolution and Nanaka 6/17. Ironically, most of these were "Oh shi- what were we smoking when we licensed this now we gotta shake off this hangover and release some DVDs" series that were announced at 2004 conventions. I loved the irreverent and referential humor in the Ghost Stories English dub, and found at least a few episodes passable to good in the Japanese version, mainly #12 and #20. Diamond Daydreams is good for those who like anthology-structured drama/romance a la Sentimental Journey, and I'm among that crowd.

Comic Party: Revolution is not that great of a series (I need to change my rating once I can access my real account again), but since I liked the first CP, I became a fan of the characters and liked seeing their wild adventures/hijinks. And Nanaka 6/17 I absolutely adored; I'd never seen it fansubbed or even heard of it before the first DVD came out, but after some token research, I bought it on impulse/pity and really enjoyed the mix of cute comedy and serious drama about growing up.

I do agree overall that 2005 was a better year, even though I haven't seen many of the listed titles. But maybe it was this "hangover" that caused the general malaise that Randall and others have felt about ADV's 2006 lineup--in 2005 they exhausted their heavy hitters licensed during the 2003-2004 binge, and had to fall back on the bottom of the order in 2006 before the Sojitz deal and a perhaps recovering market enabled them to snag more premiere titles like PaniPoni Dash!, Utawarerumono, Air Gear, and Le Chevalier d'Eon, the last of which I'm seriously contemplating pre-ordering at Rightstuf, even though I've never seen a moment of it.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116_v2 wrote:

I do agree overall that 2005 was a better year, even though I haven't seen many of the listed titles. But maybe it was this "hangover" that caused the general malaise that Randall and others have felt about ADV's 2006 lineup--in 2005 they exhausted their heavy hitters licensed during the 2003-2004 binge, and had to fall back on the bottom of the order in 2006 before the Sojitz deal and a perhaps recovering market enabled them to snag more premiere titles like PaniPoni Dash!, Utawarerumono, Air Gear, and Le Chevalier d'Eon, the last of which I'm seriously contemplating pre-ordering at Rightstuf, even though I've never seen a moment of it.

Looking into these wonderful titles over the last week has gotten me excited over ADV 2007. Utawarerumono looks amazing. Even though I didn't care for most of their titles in 2006 I would like to make clear that the quality of ADV's releases remains top notch. I really love the Jinki DVD interviews, liner notes/ character map (which is missing in volume 2) and cover with interviews on the inside. The on DVD guides also helped since this is a series that is a bit hard to follow at the beginning. ADVs video and audio transfers also remain top notch, and I don't tend to watch dubs I'm glad that they are including a 5.1 English track.
DarkAnbu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
this anime was on ofthe best i've ever seen.it had a mix af comedy, romance fighting and i loved the tails lol. it is on my top 10 lists 4 anime..it was great.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:14 am Reply with quote
I found it good and enjoyed it. One of the best animes that came out in 2006. If there is one thing I didn't like it's how some of the supporting characters started having lesser roles later on in the series. But I was fine with most of the things about this series.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:01 am Reply with quote
I just received my copy of volume one today and had to watch it. I love the series so far since the story feels so epic and feels rather tightly written. The interviews that are in the booklet (which I skimmed) seem to mention that the story is based of a video game. Maybe the concise plotting is due to having such a long story condensed into less than a dozen hours. I feel that this is what happens to series like Crest of the Stars, Twelve Kingdoms, Scrapped Princess and many other anime that are based off of novels. These series don't have the luxury to include filler episodes. I never thought I would be such a fan off of a series based off of a game, but between the first DVD of Utawarerumono and the Type Moon series I'm quickly becoming a fan. I also love the gorgeous DVD cover for both Utaware and Coyote Ragtime Show (which also arrived today), but then again I'm a sucker for shinny things. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series and it's taking all my willpower to not read the spoilers on this thread!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2