• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Theron Martin's Best (and Worst) of 2006

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
Great article! This gave me some more shows I want to pick up!

Looking at this list I realize that Funimation had a huge year last year. with the FMA and a lot of the shows I owned coming from them.

Yes, the kids as teachers thing needs to stop. Someone also needs to tell Funi that everytime I try to watch on of their dvds I shouldn't have to watch eight minutes of ads that I can't skip or fast forward through.

I was glad to see Christopher Sabat in the best male dub runner ups. I think this is one of his best performances.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Although released in Japan in 1986, this movie was not, based on my research, formally available in North America until it was released on the Barefoot Gen DVD this past August.

Then shouldn't that be "best anime movie of the year on dvd"? Oh, and before the Streamline dub of Gen movie 1 was released on those
cheap-o discs from Image. Thanks to E-bay, though they're probably not that cheap anymore.

Quote:
Coolest Super-Power: Gennosuke's Suicide Gaze, Basilisk Yeah, the ninja in Naruto have some cool abilities, and Edward Elric certainly has some nice tricks, but how can you beat a guy who, just with a look, can force a foe to kill himself?

So I take it you're not a fan of Death Note? Laughing

Quote:
Trend That Need To End: Elementary school-aged geniuses as teachers in Japanese schools. (Runner-Up: Bandai Entertainment outsourcing its English dubs)

I think the trend that needs to end is blank-eyed pre-teens as master assassins. I'd like to believe that's partly why Akira Amano came up with Reborn.

Quote:
Trend That Needs To Continue: Licensing and release of anime-related novels.

I only care about novels, if they aren't just cash-ins which take away from a series. (*cough* Blood *cough*)

Quote:
Biggest Licensing Announcement: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
One might argue a case for Bleach,

I'd argue a case for Gunbuster, since Bleach getting picked up was inevitable.
scortia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote
I'm almost in complete agreement with all of these. But then I'm a hardcore Gankutsuou and Princess Tutu fan as well. ^_~

Especially... the news of Japanese novels being picked up in America... I am tickled pink at the idea of reading Twelve Kingdoms. Now for someone to pick up the Arslan Senki novels as well...
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:01 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Someone also needs to tell Funi that everytime I try to watch on of their dvds I shouldn't have to watch eight minutes of ads that I can't skip or fast forward through..

You should check your remote for either a "top menu" button or "title" button. It won't work during the disclaimers or Funi's logo. You have to wait until the ad starts.

Great article! I couldn't believe that the only one I correctly guessed was Laura Bailey. The others were a surprise but I don't disagree with any of them.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:53 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Biggest Licensing Announcement: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
One might argue a case for Bleach,

I'd argue a case for Gunbuster, since Bleach getting picked up was inevitable.

I second the Gunbuster announcement. But I'd also add Super Gals! Season 2, Ah! My Goddess Series 2 and Sgt. Frog to the list ahead of TMoHS which was rumored to be licensed out of TIFF before the announcement. Actually Sgt. Frog was the most innovated imo. (ADV simulating their website being hacked.)

Last edited by hikaru004 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:55 am Reply with quote
I'm an E7 fanboy, but it needed more E7 Bests(or even nominations).

I'd say Crispin Freeman as Holland on Eureka seveN is one of the best dub actors of the year. Even the hardest sub elitist has nothing bad to say about his portrayal of Holland.

The reunion in episode 26 really was classic though. That was one of the better episodes so far for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, so Rebecca in Pani Poni Dash! is a parody of Negi in Negima, but did that gag really need to be repeated?

Pani Poni Dash is based on Hekiru Kikawa's manga Pani Poni which came out in 2001. Akamatsu's Negima however only started in 2003. No way her character is an intended parody of Negi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:30 am Reply with quote
hikaru: I'll mostly agree with you on Supergals 2, but not AMG 2. That season might be too expensive for Media Blasters, but there was no chance any other company was going to pass it up anytime soon. YUA 2, however, would be a surprise.

Swissman: I'm assuming that the anime's directed in a way that it parodies Negima, even if the manga predates that of Negima.
icepick314

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oddest Mecha Design: Junerin, Kirameki Project

One of the year's strangest series – basically a cutesy version of a classic giant robot series – also produces 2006's weirdest and most distinctive mecha design: a giant robot who looks like a doll, flashes panties, changes into a bathing suit at one point, and uses a purse as her primary attack. Um, yeah.

i thought the oddest mecha design should have gone to Volspinner from Godannar...

you don't see too many jiggling boobs on a combat mecha in anime...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
sk1199

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
I might be an idiot but I still can't figure out how Tenchi's mother died. As far as I can tell everything that was said about her death was spoiler[from the script that she left behind.] All I can tell for sure is that she is, in fact, dead but it didn't say how she truely died.

Last edited by sk1199 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
sk1199: Go back and watch that episode again. They do specifically say. And you're hedging into spoiler territory with what you're saying in your post.

Concerning Gunbuster: Completely forgot about that one (which, admittedly, I am eager to see given its pedigree), and if I was grading on surprise factor I'd have to go with it instead. But I was grading more on presence, anticipation, and prominence, and I'd challenge you to convince me that any title coming out of Japan in 2006 had greater standing (or whose licensing was more widely and eagerly anticipated) than MoHS.

Besides, Gunbuster is a title probably only familiar to older fans and/or those with a more extensive knowledge of anime, so the number of people likely to be very enthused about it is much, much smaller.

And GATSU: Death Note wasn't out in North America in 2006 (it's not even licensed yet, is it?) otherwise I would have had that one as at least a runner-up. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sk1199

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
My apologies Key. I fixed the previous post. However, if you're referring to spoiler[Kiyone dieing in her sleep. Then what about the school uniform jokes made after that revelation? I thought that was just an addendum to the script.] Anyway, sorry if I seem dense but I just don't get it.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Gankutsuou!
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Really good read. And it reminded me of two series that I wanted to pick up(I really did) but never did. Gankutsuou and Tutu. That won't be the case for 2007, that will be fixed very soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
roujin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first volume of Gankutsuou and was kind of entranced by its art but for some reason I never saw more. On the news of the Twelve Kingdoms novels being released, I am positively dying for them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4