• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Haruka Tomatsu, Sword Art Online's Asuna

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hpulley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I've always like Haruka Tomatsu, loved her as Shizuku in My Little Monster and yes as Asuna in Sword Art Online and as Saki in Valvrave and love her theme song performances too. But reading this interview I now like her even more, especially for this response:
Quote:
What do you try to do to prepare for a role?

When I get the script, I use the time until recording to read the source material if there is one.

Awesome to hear of a seiyuu that reads the original material! I am impressed. I hope they all do.
Setsura1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Love her! Would go and meet her if I could just so I could thank her for all she's done!
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Never liked Tomatsu. Never. If you compare her to let's say Megumi Hayashibara or Michiko Neya or even Yumi Touma, she just doesn't cut it. Those VAs are awesome, Neya is strong and tough. Megumi is like the female Mel Blanc of Japan and is impressive as Lucy from Macross Plus, Faye from Cowboy Bebop, Chris from Gundam 0080, her Rei, though I hate Rei, is still awesome and the only VA of the children to do a good job. Touma is the mature, sweet VA. Her Chun Li is pretty tough, girlish, strong, mature, just awesome. She's also great at doing Pokemon noise. She's great as Cecily from Gundam F91, as well as in Gundam Wing. Man, what happened to Touma? Awesome VA, but nobody cares about her anymore. Sad One of the best VAs I've ever heard. Hell, even Hoko Kuwashima from Gundam SEED is better. Back in the days of the 80-90s, people like Tomatsu would have been in 2 bit roles. It was the people who were GOOD like Touma and Hayashibara, who were mains or major supporting. I miss those days. Even my Japanese friends from Japan agree with me.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Never liked Tomatsu. Never. If you compare her to let's say Megumi Hayashibara or Michiko Neya or even Yumi Touma, she just doesn't cut it. Those VAs are awesome, Neya is strong and tough. Megumi is like the female Mel Blanc of Japan and is impressive as Lucy from Macross Plus, Faye from Cowboy Bebop, Chris from Gundam 0080, her Rei, though I hate Rei, is still awesome and the only VA of the children to do a good job. Touma is the mature, sweet VA. Her Chun Li is pretty tough, girlish, strong, mature, just awesome. She's also great at doing Pokemon noise. She's great as Cecily from Gundam F91, as well as in Gundam Wing. Man, what happened to Touma? Awesome VA, but nobody cares about her anymore. Sad One of the best VAs I've ever heard. Hell, even Hoko Kuwashima from Gundam SEED is better. Back in the days of the 80-90s, people like Tomatsu would have been in 2 bit roles. It was the people who were GOOD like Touma and Hayashibara, who were mains or major supporting. I miss those days. Even my Japanese friends from Japan agree with me.

You're welcome to your opinion, but you didn't really explain why you don't like her. You just talked about two other people you do like that have nothing to do with this.
Aldora07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Asuna is the idea woman she wants to be? Also, one of the reasons she wants to be like her is because she can cook? Haruka Tomatsu is awesome! Very Happy Asuna is also one of my favorite characters Very Happy
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Aldora07 wrote:
Asuna is the idea woman she wants to be? Also, one of the reasons she wants to be like her is because she can cook? Haruka Tomatsu is awesome! Very Happy Asuna is also one of my favorite characters Very Happy

I hope your being a bit sarcastic about this...
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Azure-Wind91 wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:

You're welcome to your opinion, but you didn't really explain why you don't like her. You just talked about two other people you do like that have nothing to do with this.

Fine. 1. Her voice. Her voice just pisses me off. Go watch Gundam 00 S2 for more. 2. The tone of her voice. That pitch makes me want to Shinning Wizard a puppy dog. 3. Can't act. Simple. 4. Don't like her voice type. 5. Her and Hana Kana=Unholy Alliance. 6. Jobber. Those are reasons why I hate her. Actually, the older VA comparison had something to do with it. Compared to them, she fails.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Actually, the older VA comparison had something to do with it. Compared to them, she fails.

Well you compared her to Megumi Hayashibara among others. Most seiyuu would fail in that comparison.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Interesting interview. I always enjoy reading these, even if I am not super familiar with the people being interviewed. I would love to hear her try to play a car. Anime hyper How would you even do that? Just make race car sounds?

YamadaKun wrote:

"This person sucks. Everything sucks. My favorites are better." Troll harder.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Not trolling. I think Tomatsu sucks. Got a problem with that?
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I actually like her as a voice actress, she's had many staring and supporting roles. For me they've made it when I check their list of roles and discover they did this or that role and I couldn't tell it was them. Meaning if they are able to voice a character in such a way that it's hard to tell it's them then just reading their lines in the same way as they do for all their roles.

As a musician I'm not a huge fan of her work, not that she can't sing but all her opening or ending theme songs for such and such show just don't do it for me. I don't have any of them on my phone or my computer to listen to over and over, because they don't appeal to me.

Last edited by Dfens on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Yes, because your reasoning is the exactly the same phrasing you'd use for any new seiyuu.

Kana Asumi: "she sucks because she sucks and she wasn't in old anime"
Aoi Yuuki: "bad and she sucks because I don't like her and she wasn't in old anime"

Your opinions are trash.
kotelocl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Worst voice, worst character.
EspressoTibbs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Really great interview! I think she's one of the best seiyuu in the industry right now, it's always a pleasure hearing her voice.

Last edited by EspressoTibbs on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
My Name's Not Rick!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

well, you're boring and predictable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4