• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Viz Media Obtains License to Download Death Note

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kushiel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
...are they talking subbed or dubbed? Can Viz seriously get this series translated, cast and dubbed in time for it to still air alongside the Japanese release? Isn't Death Note only supposed to be 26 episodes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RadicalHaruko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:04 pm Reply with quote
WOOOOOOOOAHHH!!! I hope they're still going to release it on DVD too, haha. That is very .. interesting. It's 37 episodes... #13 aired this week. I guess it'll have to be subbed though right..? Wow, what an interesting direction, but I guess it makes sense.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I'm not really interested. If I'm paying I'd prefer a hard copy, I'm not too fond of paying just for the rights to download a file. Not to mention I wouldn't want to support a company that was happy to ignore those who actually prefer to buy hard copies, not to mention if there is no dub that's another audience they'd be ignoring. Guess I'll see where they take it from here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Hmmm, I'm not really interested. If I'm paying I'd prefer a hard copy, I'm not too fond of paying just for the rights to download a file. Not to mention I wouldn't want to support a company that was happy to ignore those who actually prefer to buy hard copies, not to mention if there is no dub that's another audience they'd be ignoring. Guess I'll see where they take it from here.

I agree with what Keonyn said in the first part I really don't pay for anime unless I am getting them as hard copies. Also I am curious with who will be cast for the dub, though Death Note is one of those series where watching it subbed would make it feel more real to me though.

press release wrote:
The deal is significant because it marks the first time a well known Japanese anime property will be made legally available to domestic audiences for download to own while the title still airs on Japanese television. VIZ Media will seek to make the series available to consumers through a number of online providers in order to reach the widest audience possible.

But like it says here this is deffinatly a step in a new direction and could be something that will continued to be done in the future...though like I said before I really don't want to put down money for just a download. Wink
gringe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't like this. I don't want to pay to get a soft copy of something on my harddrive. Part of the reason I buy anime in the first place is to put it on my shelf.

I can't say this is a move I'll be supporting... I'll get the DVDs once they come out, though.
nikolasu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean Viz will be releasing the Region 1 DVDs? Also, what does this mean for the fansub community?
RadicalHaruko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm assuming they're doing this to stop fansubs as soon as possible. It wouldn't make sense for them NOT to put out the DVDs though, right...? I think that the way things are going and depending on the costs, I'll download to rent and then buy the DVDs when they come out. Like other people have said, if I'm buying something, I want a hard copy on my shelf, not a file that I could easily bootleg for free.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:58 pm Reply with quote
nikolasu wrote:
Does this mean Viz will be releasing the Region 1 DVDs? Also, what does this mean for the fansub community?

I think its safe to say they'll be releasing the DVDs as well. For the fansub community, it will be treated as licensed. Which means any sites and groups of the ethical variety will stop subbing it or hosting torrents for it. I'm not familiar with any of the groups subbing Death Note, but I'm sure at least two of them will continue subbing it anyway.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
RadicalHaruko wrote:
I think that the way things are going and depending on the costs, I'll download to rent and then buy the DVDs when they come out. Like other people have said, if I'm buying something, I want a hard copy on my shelf, not a file that I could easily bootleg for free.

That's what I'm planning, as well. I like the idea of renting the files so I can keep up with the episodes and watch them, but I'm going to be paying to have something perminantely, I want a hard copy. I've lost way too many files because of computer crashes to actually buy the episodes. ^^;

I really like the idea of download-to-rent, though, if this means we get to see episodes soon after Japan, legally and professionally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dante80

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I suppose only Americans will have access to the episodes, right?

Good move by Viz. Subbed anime in downloable form is the only way fans can legitimately watch their favourite series, without having to wait for 2+ years to be completed. Its high time someone did this...

Of course, there will be a DVD version. (which I'll buy instantly)...
And, of course in my opinion, fansubs for DN must not stop.

(Please excuse my bad english), Salutations from sunny Athens, George F. Very Happy
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
gringe wrote:
I don't like this. I don't want to pay to get a soft copy of something on my harddrive. Part of the reason I buy anime in the first place is to put it on my shelf.

I can't say this is a move I'll be supporting... I'll get the DVDs once they come out, though.

I agree I want a physical copy of my anime on my shelf, so that I can play it on whatever TV I desire. Or if I want to show some friends I can go hey look at this.

But that said I feel bad for the anime industry those, this whole downloading feels like a catch-22. If you don't release anime in a down loadable form there will always be people asking for every single con, [just like the folks still asking for sub shows on TAN] and yet I just don't see how internet sales could do all that well. Most people I know want a physical copy of what their buying, I have a hard enough time purchase a 3-4 dollar game on my Wii. I think that there is a premium on having that actually DVD/Game/CD or whatever it may be that you can't really put a price on that.

Delta
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking it's probably sub-- not only is it really short time, but this move clearly targets legitimate fansub fans, many of who spontaneously spout blood from their ears when they are within a 100 feet of an English dub.

Mixed feelings, really. This was a brilliant move; one of the things that bugs me most about licensing is the wait time, between watching the fansubs and then having to stop for about a year to buy the DVD. Interest definitely wanes during that time. This definitely caters to my demographic. Also, if this succeeds, then illegit fansub fans won't really have an excuse, and it shows that companies actually might care about fansub fans. I think that fan-company hatred would decrease at least a bit (a good thing for the internet in general). I hope this starts a trend.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut. I despise all of Viz's anime adaptions that I've seen, and I hated some of their insane liberties with the Death Note manga. Sure, it's definitely far from the worst work they've done, but comparing Kira to the X-Men? No. I hope that this move, which clearly hopes to cash in on fansub fans, will avoid Viz!edits of doom, but I do hold fear in my heart. ...and if it IS dub instead of sub, I'm not buying; even I'll wait (grudgingly) for the DVD.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
I doubt that if it's only released in one format it'll be dubbed. For one thing, they're obviously, like you said, targeting fansub fans.

For another thing, most dub fans don't mind subs, and will watch subs without too much complaint. On the other hand, often sub fans hate dubs with a passion and won't have anything to do with dubs. It makes far more sense to release them in subs if they're only going to do one format.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
nikolasu wrote:

I think its safe to say they'll be releasing the DVDs as well. For the fansub community, it will be treated as licensed. Which means any sites and groups of the ethical variety will stop subbing it or hosting torrents for it. I'm not familiar with any of the groups subbing Death Note, but I'm sure at least two of them will continue subbing it anyway.
Well, I know that the group I was getting the episodes from will drop it, but for a series this popular, the fansubs will be completed one way or another.

Too bad it's Viz, just as all the predictions pointed to...at this point, I've adopted a "guilty until proven innocent" policy towards Viz DVDs, which means I'll be checking the reviews very carefully before rushing out and buying them. I think I actually will download these episodes from Viz for comparison purposes between them and the fansubs. In my view, Viz are the AnimeJunkies of the professional world.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Yukionna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:59 am Reply with quote
im confused, we have to PAY now just to download a subbed episode of death note?

im really against dubbing before the actual whole series is made and aired.. This irritates me to no extent Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2