• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Heat Guy J hits MTV

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:43 am Reply with quote
I find this really...weird. But, is it a good weird or a bad weird? I can't decide. A foreshadowing of where anime on tv is heading? MTV...meh. Smile

Oops! Didn't realize an existing thread was going on this. Couldn't tell from the ANN homepage. Sorry!Embarassed
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:55 am Reply with quote
what the hell? man they're really trying aren't they? this promises to be an utter disaster.
AnnaMayInsider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:08 am Reply with quote
I read somewhere that MTV was bidding for the license way back when. Seems everyone wanted a piece of it.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:15 am Reply with quote
I've mentioned this in the other thread (in a rather roundabout way), but I really have zero respect for MTV at this point, and even LESS faith in their ability to handle a property like this correctly.

So yeah...I'm a hap-hap-happy ray of sunshine over this... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Izlude

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:58 am Reply with quote
Oh well, the more anime on tv the better. I got nuthin againest MTV, seeing some more animation get on that channel is a good change.

Anyone here ever watch Cartoon Sushi and see the redubs of a few anime they did? lol that was some funny stuff
Shorty22

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, all I can say is that maybe I'll catch an episode of this Heat Guy J if it'll be on TV.

Is there something in HGJ that would make it desireable by MTV? I'm just curious on why they bought the title. Confused
Syker 07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:12 pm Reply with quote
This does come off as a little wierd.

I mean why would M(usic!!!)TV pick up something like Heat Guy J? I mean, it's a robot detective story, right? You'd think if they were going to dabble with anime, they'd go for...I dunno...Black Heaven or something that has music as a theme. Of course, I guess lately, they haven't exactly been about music, so... yeah.

On a side note, I'd like to see them bring Liquid Television back.

Syker Seven
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Syker 07 wrote:
This does come off as a little wierd.

I mean why would M(usic!!!)TV pick up something like Heat Guy J? I mean, it's a robot detective story, right?

MTV gave up on the MUSIC aspect of their content years ago. Nowadays the closest you get to actual music on MTV is a ten-second clip on TRL. Confused

I still say they should change their name to parallel this change in programming. PopTV or something...call MTV2 MTV...because y'know...truth in advertising is a valuable thing to have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AnnaMayInsider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Recently MTV has been trying to find a signature animated show after Daria went off the air. They used to be a place to find, what some people consider, innovative animation like Aeon Flux, and Beavis and Butthead. Their recent endeavors have flopped (I thought Spiderman was damn good, too). This deal could go either way. Will they give HGJ the TokyoPop Initial D treatment? Dunno. But it’s a savvy business deal and a much larger viewing audience than some of the other networks.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:41 pm Reply with quote
What's with all of the hostility towards MTV? They've done they're fair share of animation in the past, why should this be any different? Because it's anime? Please, isn't that being a bit elitist? If anything we may get an Adult Swim type of showing out of it with few edits. I can tell you right now this IS NOT going to be an Initial D type of series, there's no way MTV is going to go through and reedit the show after it's already been dubbed and released already. Just sit back and enjoy the show when it comes on, if you don't want to, then don't watch, if they do heavy edits then buy the DVD, this isn't that hard to figure out.

With stuff like Aeon Flux and Beavis and Butthead back in the day I really doubt we have much to worry about when they show Heat Guy J. Censoring has become lighter over the years, not heavier.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:

Anyone here ever watch Cartoon Sushi and see the redubs of a few anime they did? lol that was some funny stuff

Oh god, yes! ULTRACITY, 6060!!!

Michael Jackson: "Tito! You're... WHITE!!!"
Tito: "Yes, Michael! In the future, everyone's white!"

Wonderful. I've been trying to find a way to get a hold of those things ever since Cartoon Sushi went off the air.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Goshin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised about this move at all. Actually, I was kind of expecting it. It was bound to happen sooner or later.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
What's with all of the hostility towards MTV? They've done they're fair share of animation in the past, why should this be any different? Because it's anime? Please, isn't that being a bit elitist?

My hostility with MTV is deeply rooted in other areas (as I said, for them to call themselves Music Television at this point is almost a blatant lie); if anything their animations have been one of the few good things they've ever done (well...some of them; Beavis & Butt-head, Daria, Liquid Television, and early Celebrity Deathmatch were great, but 3 South, later Celebrity Deathmatch, and Aeon Flux leave a lot to be desired).

But to be honest, yes, I do fear editing. Like other people have said, MTV are ungodly commercial whores -- worse so than TechTV (as much as I love them...yeah...excessive advertising). So I do expect a healthy amount of "edited for allocated time" type cuts. And even though a redone "Americanized" soundtrack seems unlikely, I wouldn't put it past them in the slightest.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Uh, to top it off (being a Heat Guy fan myself) there really isn't anything to edit in Heat Guy. It's all pretty benign (adult situations like the Russian roulette gambling are dark but not violent).

Again, I think anime fans just prefer to whine anonymously about everything on the internet and then when they're proven wrong they don't own up to it, they just kinda wait for something else to hate. You have no reason to think that Heat Guy will be butchered for any reason on MTV. If they underpromote it and bury it like they're doing to their mildly-entertaining Spiderman cartoon, we won't hear much about Heat Guy after the premiere.

-Z
Kagato

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:05 pm Reply with quote
One other problem is the promotion(or lack thereof)they will give it.Will they make it sound hip and edgy(sic),or will they just normally advertise it.Anyway,if it is unsuccessful,lthey can do one thing.If there's anything we've learned from mtv,it's that people like to watch brats whine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4