• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:26 am Reply with quote
Top 5 favorite:
1. Fullmetal Alchemist - Cliche, I know, but this series completely blew me away. I saw a couple episodes on adult swim while staying with a friend, and I'd heard about it before that because she kept talking about how awesome Ed was. The episodes I saw (13 and 20) didn't really impress me all that much, but I thought the art style was something different, so I decided to start watching it via Netflix. I came home after school one day to find five DVDs worth lying on the kitchen table; I went upstairs thinking I'd watch one and then do my homework. Six hours later, I looked at the clock and realized that it was nearly ten PM and my homework wasn't done. This series has such an incredible balance between story, emotion, art, character, and sound that it's completely absorbing. Once you start it, you get so into the characters and their struggles that it becomes an entire world. I also liked the fact that there is little to no romance actually in the series; it's all subtext, so none of it gets in the way of the plot.

2. Shaman King - It's cliche shounen at its best, but boy do I love this anime. I've been a fan since I started watching the awful dubbed version, and then when I finally saw the sub, I loved it even more. The story is basically the same old shounen mold; carefree boy chasing godlike power must fight everyone on earth to get to it. However, the wide and well developed cast of characters completely makes up for the run-of-the-mill storyline and sub-par animation. It's almost like the characters know everything they're doing is stupid and stereotypical, but who cares? Underneath the silliness, though, there're also some very deep messages about friendship and trust and all that. As an added bonus, this anime has some of the best character theme songs I've ever heard in anything. "Muge", "Ryuuro", and "Sono Saki no Justice" are particularly recommended.

3. NANA - This will probably get bumped up once it ends; I'm reluctant to say I love something completely before I see the whole thing, but the way this anime has been going so far.....Wow. Generally, I hate shoujo. With a passion. Girls fawning over guys, relationship talk, love triangles, affairs = blech. But from the second I first heard Rose, I was hooked. The animation and music are stunning, the characters are unforgettable, and the seiyuu are amazing. When some girls are upset they go and watch chick flicks; I watch NANA. It has the same depth of emotion as FMA, and I think that depth is really what makes an anime stand out. Sure, it's about girls and their love lives, but they act like real people who care about each other. The only thing NANA needs that would make it even better is some swordfighting or something x)

4. Serial Experiments Lain - Probably the trippiest thing I've ever seen, but I loved it. I loved how the story made little to no sense between episodes, but I was still able to dig myself into it. I loved thinking I'd figured something out, only to be completely confused again five seconds later. I loved the power lines. I especially loved the one scene where spoiler[Lain's Navi's cooling system blows up while she's talking to the men in black, because I was watching it alone in a dark room and during a thunderstorm, and the power went out right when it blew up ;;;; Scared the crap out of me.] This is a must-see anime for anyone who likes feeling like their brain is about to start oozing from their ears.

5. Cowboy Bebop - I finally managed to rent this series, and I really enjoyed it. It reminded me a lot of the show Firefly, only everything Firefly did wrong was corrected. The characters were all fun and immensely likeable, the story was loose and casual, and there was a really nice balance between humor and really painful backstory. I'd be laughing hysterically one episode and crying my eyes out the next. What really pushes this anime onto my top five, though, is the ending. It was depressing as hell, but....Wow.

Honorable mentions go to Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, and Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu

Top 5 Least Favorite:
1. Fruits Basket - GAG. And that's all I have to say. After one episode I felt like someone had rammed a bag of sugar down my throat.

2. Inuyasha - I went through my Inuyasha phase when I was an anime newcomer; I think everyone did at one point. Looking back, however, I really can't figure out what about this series I found so enthralling. It's long, it's boring, and a good 60% of it is filler anyway. Heck, the first movie is even filler. The third movie could be considered filler. I think I was just impressed by the pointiness.

3. Samurai Deeper Kyo - I don't know why, but I really didn't like this anime. The women were all too sluttish, and the story and characters didn't grab me at all. Unfortunately, all my friends seem to swear by it, so I generally have to watch it at anime club on Fridays.

4. One Piece - Once again, the concept really didn't click with me. It's just too strange and goofy and the eyes are too big. And yes, I'm talking about the sub and not that thing 4Kids called a dub. To each his or her own.

5. Naruto - It starts out okay, but then it gets long. And longer. And even longer. And in the mean time, you can't go to a convention without seeing half the people trussed up like Narutards. The story is all right, I guess, but most of the characters are really annoying, and I'm just sick of seeing it everywhere and hearing about how great it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pandora666

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:21 am Reply with quote
Top 10 Favorite

1. One Piece
Fun,PURE FUN. Yes it's kinda goofy,but it's SUPPOSED to be goofy. The story is just unbelievable (i mean that both realistically and metaphorically..),the drawing is out of this world,and if you've seen at least one episode and haven't laughed,then maybe you have no sense of humor! If you can bypass the whole goofiness,you may realise that it's one of the most emotional-filled anime...

2. Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
More realistic than any anime I've ever watched,this drama may alter your view on the topic "love" altogether...

3. Bleach
Seen every episode twice (except for the fillers),this diamond of an anime is full of meaning and knowledge,disguised as a samurai-fighting-demons series! Read between the lines....

4. Dragonball + Dragonball Z
Yeah,I know what you'll say,but 16 years ago when I started watching anime,this was top of the top.I grew up watching Dragonball. Is that a crime?
And yes,the story seemed like it would never end,but in the end,I think it was worth it. Moreover,have you seen many anime with better fights?

5. Full Metal Alchemist
Nothing I could say would fully describe it....

6. Neon Genesis Evangelion
Not for the week-hearted,this psycho-anime will show you things beyond imagination but will take a piece of your sanity forever

7. Naruto (if you count out the fillers)
Well,apart from the fillers,this was a nice series,full of suspence,nice storyline and interesting characters. But I have stopped watching it 'cause of the fillers (1 and a half year of absolute stupidity.ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!),waiting for the original storyline

8. Hellsing
The most loved anti-hero in my book,and the best anime concerning vampires,this bllod and gore journey will stay with you

9. Midori no Hibi
This anime is about a boy who wakes up and sees that his right hand has been replaced with the upper-body of a girl.Just hillarious...

10. Elfen Lied
One of the most brutal anime there are,but one of the most emotional ones

Worst 5

1. Inuyasha
Well,what can I say? In the few episodes I watched,I laughed in all the parts where it was supposed to be serious... I never got why this is popular (even with 13 year-old girls), I think it as a lame excuse for an anime

2. Naruto fillers
It's not an actual series,but it's so boring and unemotional,it's almost a different series altogether

3. D.N.Angel
Nothing worthwile my (or any serious anime fan's in my opinion) time.

4. Dragonball GT
Just a rip-off for Dragonball fans that wasn't nearly as good as the original

5. Gantz
Not that bad,but not that good either.This could have been over in 10,not 26 looooong episodes
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:17 am Reply with quote
pandora666 wrote:
5. Full Metal Alchemist
Nothing I could say would fully describe it....

Do it anyway.

pandora666 wrote:
9. Midori no Hibi
This anime is about a boy who wakes up and sees that his right hand has been replaced with the upper-body of a girl.Just hillarious...

We have a summary, now why did you like it?

pandora666 wrote:
5. Gantz
Not that bad,but not that good either.This could have been over in 10,not 26 looooong episodes

So why didn't you like it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
xsatoshi_hiwatarix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm pretty new to anime, I haven't seen very many. But I'll list the ones I have seen...

My Favorites:
1) Fruits Basket: I love this anime! The character designs are just so cute, and it manages to make you either laugh hysterically or cry during every episode!
2) Ouran High School Host Club: Ok, so yeah it lacks any real plot. But it's just too hilarious not to love!
3) Karin: And again, another anime that doesn't really have a plot. But it's just such a cute anime.

My Least Favorites:
D.N. Angel: While this had the pontential to be a really good anime, it's enough to bore you to tears after about the first 5 or 6 episodes.
Cardcaptor Sakura: This anime is definetly cute, but it just gets WAY too repetitive.
Callik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
My top ten favorites.

1. The Place Promised in Our Early Days (Movie) This 90 minute film contained the best animation I have ever seen made, Matoko Shinkai is truly a genious for his work in this film. The music was enchanting, the storyline engaging, the voice actors made a great performance, and I have nothing to complain about. Simply the best (IMO) movie ever made.

2. Full Metal Panic! This series is truly wonderful because it mixes a mecha/ action anime with a comedic/romance anime withput being awkward. The animation is crisp, top of the line quality, it's music fitting to the scenes, and purely loveable characters. If you haven't seen this one you're missing out.

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion- I know this series gets over-analyzed and overrated all the time but I really enjoy it. It starts out like a normal mecha anime but somehow feels different. One: You've got a proganist who goes against the mold, is heavily insecure, and is easily pushed around. Two: The source of the enemies isn't revealed until the end which leaves you tearing across the room screaming the next DVD and Three: It is probably the best phycological anime I've seen for it's depth and imagery.

4. Now and Then, Here and There- Now this little known but amazingly deep anime was purely mind blowing to me. I picked this title up picturing a standard action anime. I was pleasantly suprised at this story. It showed the brutality of war and the draft. The characters were memorable, Shu being a kind person who is forced to mature. The villian was a true picture of evil, and several times I found myself reduced to tears.

5. Haibane-Renmei After watching the first episode of this I had such a warm feeling inside of me I had to continue, it was beautiful from beginning to end. Hard to describe but it was full of lush imagery, calming music, and a poetic script.

6. Wolf's Rain- This series took me in within the first five minutes. The characters were all firmly balanced, there were a few plot holes but the animation was amazing, the music perfect, and the story just sucks you in, although I admit to crying in the last episodes....... I enjoyed the ending.

7.Fullmetal Alchemist- This series, being so popular, automatically gets the idea "oh, it's no good, another naruto or DBZ!" This however truly deserves popularity. Aside from being a lushly anumated shonen anime, it has a storyline that could drive anyone to tears. The brothers, Ed and Al, endure so much hardship and keep going, no matter whar the cost.

8. Escaflowne- I had to throw in this one. It starts out as a shojo anime, girls likes guy, guy likes girl, girl gets sucked into a parallel dimension.... what? The characters in this story have clear flaws and problems they most overcome, and eventually they do, although the end left me screaming for something else I was thouroughly satisfied.

9. Record of Lodoss War I had to throw in a classic anime here. This, being the quintessential fantasy anime, has received many reviewa over the years so I will only say a couple things, while the animation may be considered poor in today's standards back when it was released it was considered to be of the highest quality. not to mention it has a engaing plot that makes sense and is not overly complicated.

10. Cowboy Bebop- Now this anime is a true masterpiece. The funniest characters I have ever seen, random episodes (although it still pulls of a plot), funny music and a solid conclusion. What more could a fan wish for?

I won't even get started on the anime I DON'T like.
Hazzor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
My Top Ten Goes like this

1 - Full Metal Panic
Had the great mix of mech action, comedy, bit of romance, great characters, it's one of the anime i just haven't got bored of, which is why it's my number one.

2 - Fafner in the Azure: Dead Aggressor
In my opinion this succeeds where evangelion and rahxephon fail. Excellent music throughout the series.

3 - Samurai Champloo
Another anime i can watch over and over, amazing action, and characters, and some great comedy moments. mugen is probably one of my favorite characters in the majority of anime i have seen. So outspoke, brash, and able to back up every word he says.

4 - Elfen Lied
Whoah, what do i say about this, had me gripped as soon as it started, the fact that it's so gory and very emotional go great hand in hand. Excellent characters development , shame it was only so few episodes. Very thought provoking

5 - Outlaw Star
Another of those anime that have the great sense of adventure about it, good comedy and characters, i love how they always come so close yet so far from making it.

6 - Gungrave
Didn't know what to expect when i first saw this, but after the first few episodes it was amazing, freindship, love, betrayal, it's like the godfather of anime, donnie brasco mixed with heat. This probably has one of the saddest endings i can think of, nearly had me in tears.

7 - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Great comedy, completely random and out there, dont know what else to say about it, it's one of those anime you just have to see for yourself. The way the the story's are told is great aswell, kyon is cracker of a character.

8 - Welcome to the NHK
Thing i loved most about this is probably the realism, i dont mean completely but certain aspects of life are truly shown in this and if you can relate to it, it just feels so real. Great comedy anime.

9 - Samurai 7
Great adaption of the film, gives a really nice sense of adventure throughout the series, the love twist had me completely shocked, felt like crying for the poor guy.

10 - The Last Exile
I'm not sure what it is about this what i love, amazing graphically, great story, characters, music is really nice aswell.

Dislike

Dragonball Z and all related
The first handfull of episodes pretty much sum up what will happen in the next 200+ episodes, for the time i suppose it was ok, but making 5 minute scene last 10 episodes is just silly.

Sailor Moon
I just dont like the whole concept of this, know i know anime are suppose to be far fetched but come on! There is nothing i can say that i like about this, not even the fact that's it's young high school chicks saving the planet, bubblegum crisis for the win any day over this!!

Ruroni Kenshin TV series
Now after watching samurai x i had high expectations for this, boy was i ever wrong, this has got to be the most let down anime i have ever seen, maybe it was the AWFUL dub voice over, i'm not sure.

Fist of the North Star
WATATATATATA, that about sums up this entire anime, the guy has 1 move it's more linear than a straight line. Its like dragonball z but -10 years.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Hazzor wrote:
Rurouni Kenshin TV series
Now after watching samurai x i had high expectations for this, boy was i ever wrong, this has got to be the most let down anime i have ever seen, maybe it was the AWFUL dub voice over, i'm not sure.

The problem is you watched Tsuioku-hen first. This is why I tell anybody that's going to check out the franchise to watch the TV series, then the OAV.

The TV series was made first and reflects the manga somewhat accurate for the first season, perfectly during Kyoto, then of course with all the filler crap in season 3.

Tsuioku-hen was produced by Studio DEEN after the TV series got cancelled (from the crappy filler season) and is meant to be a prequel, just like the order of the story in the manga (Tokyo --> Kyoto --> Tsuioku-hen --> Jinchuu).

However, Studio DEEN made the OAV so dark and dramatic that it totally differentiates in style compared to the series. Because of this, you are more than likely to lose the buzz of the OAV with it being so violent and brooding when making the transition to the much lighter TV series.

Tough luck, I guess. If you'd gone in the reverse order (or as I like to suggest: TV series up to the end of Kyoto, episode 62 --> Tsuioku-hen OAV or Vol. 18 of the manga and up) I'm sure you'd have loved the entire franchise. But oh, well.
Namia_the_Theif_18

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
well, that's kinda difficult because, i have lots of them but i'll make this breif:

1 Wolf's Rain- spoiler[ Well, because, it was really cute and i just finished the series and i thought it was really cute the way everyone found their own paradise and how everyone meets back together.]

2 Fruits Basket- spoiler[ I liked the way it ended and the ending was really funny and how it showed that even though they went to aktio to get his approval for torhu to stay it's like even though he didn't say it............it's as if he were saying yes torhu u can stay.]

3 Peach Girl- spoiler[ I really liked this anime in particular, because, the way touji just let momo go like that and he said he would wait for her to come back to him, was really a way to say that they were friends all along and not excatly like they werer dating. and i love the way sae turns ot be a nice person and not a bad person, because,, that incident with ryo it got him into doing some research on being a dad. and also, the way momo's feelings all along were always for kiley they were always for kiley.]

i can't think of anymore anime so i'll leave u with those 3.

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags. -TK]
drakonslair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
Namia Use spoiler Tags please. You will ruin the ends of certain anime for people.
pingieking

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
I posted one a while back, but some shows I've watched recently have stormed up the list of my favorites.

1. Gankutsuou: My God. The story is amazing (but that's expected since it was adapted from a novel), there were some changes but they were well done. In fact, I think I liked the story of this more than the novel. What really makes this show the best is it's visual and audio. This show has probably the best art I've ever seen. Some parts are quite head-ache inducing because there's too much colour and too many patterns all over the place, but overall the art is simply amazing. I could have turned off the sound and subtitles and still enjoyed it just from the beautiful visuals. The scene of Haydee showing off her dress entering the opera house is probably the most beautiful scene I have ever seen. On top of that, the music is also very good.

2. Death Note: Good sound, good visuals, but the key to this one is the story. I haven't read the manga, so I'm completely oblivious to what happens, and all the the developments throughout the first 12 episodes have simply blown me away. The mind game going on between Light and L is intricate and very entertaining. Can't wait to see what happens next Laughing

3. Azumanga Daioh: Was on my old list, and remains here still. One of the few comedies where I can re-watch any episode any number of times and still find it funny. The author of both the AzuDai manga and anime are both geniuses.

4. Paradise Kiss: One of the very few shows that can give Gankutsuou a serious challenge in the visuals department. Great story and character development, with each character coming to life even with very limited screen time. It is 12 episodes, but the writers didn't waste many seconds of the show. What I liked most about it is that all the components of the show came together like a dress. Individually the parts are all good, but not great. However, when pieced together in the way that they did, this show became much better than the sum of its parts.

5. Honey and Clover: Being a university student, I can relate. Very well done story, very realistic, and it's probably as good as it gets in the "slice of life" genre. This show takes normal situations in normal lives, and makes them interesting and entertaining. It really reminds me of just how much fun life can be.

6. Hellsing Ultimate: Much better than the TV series. Very nice animation for the fight scenes, and lots of blood everywhere Very Happy . Violence is why I watch this show, and it has plenty of it. Freeman is amazing as Alucard, and his total bad-ass-ness makes this show so fun to watch. Sometimes I just need to see some insanely awesome guy own everyone who stands in his way.

7. Noein: Well, this is one of the odd ones. I have it on my list for a reason very different from the other ones. I have it here because I loved the science part of it. How the author incorporated scientific theories without destroying either the theory or the story is very well done. An odd style of art, with a good (of somewhat overused style) story. I really liked the fight scenes where everything seems to stretch out and look extremely manga-ish.

8. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: Hilarious. Another comedy that allows me to pull out any episode and laugh no matter how many times I've seen it. Really looking forward to the English dub, however I'm slightly worried about the voice actor for Kyon, because he was the one that really kept the show flowing.

9. Welcome to the NHK: It gets somewhat depressing to see so many loser-ish people in one show, but at least some of them improve. I think why I really like this show is that I have a friend who is drifting into the Hikikomori lifestyle. The writers are quite crazy to come up with something like this. The character development is the focus of the show, and they do a good job at it. I am currently playing the role of Misaki right now, dragging my NEET friend out of his room every second weekend.

10. Elfen Lied: I rewatched it, and found it just as hard to stomach the second time. To anyone who hasn't seen it yet, this show is really good, and really disturbing. The story is great, and the development of Lucy and the boy (forgot the name) is a great showing of how abuse and intolerance can change a person. The problem is that these characters seem too real. They seem so real that I can actually see a teenage girl going around chopping people up with invisible arms. This would be higher on my list, but I can't really take too much of violent killings done by a cute teenage girl who looks like she has cat years.

A few words about shows that almost made it:

Black Lagoon: Modern Pirates Very Happy!!! There are good moral stories in this show, but I can care less about them. Just have Revy go on a rampage and I'll be happy.

Last Exile: Stunningly good visuals. Felt like I was playing Star Wars Pod Racers with insanely good graphics when I watched the little planes zoon around. The aerial battles were so realistic and well done, it was beautiful. Another show that can challenge for the title of best visuals. The only reason that this didn't make my list of top 10 is that the main plot seemed non-existent.

Ergo Proxy: One viewing just isn't enough for me to grasp the full depth of the story. The art depresses me a bit, but that goes quite well with the general feel of the show.

The dislikes list didn't change, so I'll just stop here Smile
Rakushun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Top 10, in no particular order except for #1 and #2:

#1 FLCL – An anime that gets better the more I watch it. Great comedy, great action, nice animation, awesome soundtrack by The Pillows, lots of attention to detail, interlaced stories... It reminds me of the movie “The Graduate”, both in the coming-of-age story and the use of music to pace the action.

#2 Haibane Renmei – This is the closest any anime has come to moving me deeply. It touches me emotionally and challenges me mentally and philosophically. The pace is slow at first, but I didn’t mind because I also enjoyed the art and music.

Cowboy Bebop – Wins on style points alone. What it lacks in flow, it makes up for in many, many brilliant moments.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya – I had to watch this twice in a row to get over it. The original novel series is a great read and was given decent treatment in anime form.

Ouran High School Host Club – “Reverse harem!” This anime knocked two other great high school comedies off of my list, Azumanga Daioh and Fruits Basket. It has a great cast of characters, plus the imperfect Haruhi Fujioka is a better center than the too-perfect Tohru Honda.

Only Yesterday – All Ghibli films are good, but if I had to choose one it would be Only Yesterday. I guess it speaks to the “grownup” in me.

Fullmetal Alchemist – The longest series in my top 10 list. A great story and a very detailed fantasy world, both sustained through the majority of 51 episodes and 1 movie. I knew I was watching something special by the 3rd episode. Great use of Beethoven and Chopin.

Serial Experiments Lain – This holds a special place for me because it was one of the triggers that got me back into anime. Especially nutty, twisted, philosophical, psychobabble anime.

Millenium Actress – An incredible story that flows in a perfect circle.

Twelve Kingdoms – The wooden masks, the ministerial and feudal systems, the whole setting reveals in-depth research of ancient China. It also has a great character in Yoko. If it ended on the third arc, it would have had the best ending of any anime I’ve ever seen.

Honorable mentions: Jin-Roh, Kare Kano, Porco Rosso, Paprika, Monster (unfinished)

Bottom-feeders: Ehrgeiz, Dragonball GT, Ninja Resurrection, Big O
And the other Bottom 5:
Spriggan – Boring? The action and animation was nothing special, and the sci-fi/philosophical aspect did not interest me at all.
Metropolis – Spectacular animation, miserable excuse for a story.
X: The Movie – They attempt to compress an epic-length manga series into a short movie, but instead crunch it into a bloody explosionfest. X:TV is much better.
Zaion: I Wish You Were Here – The art and animation are awful, the rest was forgettable.
Ragnarok The Animation (yes, I watched all of it) – More proof that game adaptations seldom make good anime. The characters are so bland that they should have been named “Fighter” and “White Mage”. Character development is the same as getting the Rat’s Tail in Final Fantasy. Seriously, IT’S THAT BAD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Icefire16

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
This is my first post so Im a bit nervous but here I go.

1. Zero no Tsukaima- I have not seen anyone post this yet which is a shame but it is by far my favorite anime. On first impression it may seem like a harry potter look-a-like but it is beyond harry potter. I dont want to give away anything big but it has several plot twists in it and the fact that the main female character is so violent its cute, in a weird way. Kind of like Shana in shakugan no shana. She is easily angered and over sensitive and violent. Combine that with an unusually submissive main male character and a magical sci-fi atmosphere and you have thsi wonderful easy-to-watch show.

2. Shakugan no Shana- This show gets off to a horribly slow start but picks up speed fast. I had to force myself to watch it past episode 2 but I sure am glad I did. If you like Bleach and like a bit of romance as well you will love this one. This show probably balances romance and action perfectly.

3. Peach Girl This is one of my first anime and originally got me hooked on the romance theme. It is about a high school girl who is constantly being persecuted and misunderstood struggleing with her emotions.
At first its a bit of a drag because it seems that the show is entirely about a prepy popular girl trying to ruin her relationship with her boyfriend out of jealousy but once you get past that there is much, much more to this 26 episode show.

4. Ouran High School Host Club- This show has a very thin plot that does not reveal itself until the last episode but for some reason when that plot is finally unveiled you are wholeheartedly drawn into this show. It appears to be a meaningless comedy but there is faint foreshadowing throughout the whole thing leading to a brilliant finale.

5. One Piece- Yes I know this show has a bad history of being endless and unproductive, but in the most recent episodes there seems to be a larger plot unfolding and a sense of entirety to the whole show. I have been told it does indeed have an end but not until episode 503 and it is curently at 292.
This show is funny, action-packed and the coolness factor is off the scales from the recent episodes.

6. Bokura ga Ita- This show is romance to the core, The main couple are ignorant, somewhat insensitive and repeat the same mistakes over and over but it is one of those shows that just gives you warm fuzzies all over.

7. Oku-sama wa joshi kousei- This is a classic romance/comedy shown form a high school girls point of view who is married to her teacher in secret.
The teacher is qutie popular with the female teachers and combine that with nosey and oddly smart friends and you have non-stop knee-slapping laughter or find yourself leaning forward in your chair in anxiety.

8. Onegai Teacher- This show is Beyond wonderful.
Its about a boy who, through many complicated events that I would not like to ruin the shock of, legally marries his teacher who is an alien.
Yes it sounds bogus but it is easily understandable and has you begging for his friends to find out simply to see their reactions.
The last episode/ova whichever it is, is so funny I almost dropped my laptop off my lap and broke it due to a sudden fit of uncontrolable laughter.

9. Fate/stay night- As much as I hate the way this show ended it was an exellent show while it lasted. It was full of innocent romance and hard core fighting action.
Throw in a bit of magic, a odd teacher (For lack of better words she is two fries short of a happy meal) and a steel morale of the two main characters. And you have a wonderful story you wont forget (but if you are like me you will detest the ending).

10. Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo- This show is not entirely finished yet so I can not put it too far up the tree on my favs but I have high expectations for this one. The main couple is alot like zero no tsukaima with a violent girl and a weak submissive boy but the girl is extremely nice and shy to the boy but will immediately pummel anyone who comments on this. Not to mention the girl is a superhuman.
As you can imagine it creates a warm, fuzzy, kind, romance.
BUT has plenty of action and fight scenes to balance it it out.

Honorable mentions: Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge/Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru/ I my me, Strawberry eggs

Now for the duds

1.Girls bravo This show was balancing on the edge as it was simply with the fact taht the whole show revolved almsot completely around this boy's bathtub and many many women.
The only part that was really good was the final fight scenes at the end of season two.
Also the mis conveintly dissapeared in season two that was there in season one.

2.Green Green Not too much to say about this one.
its entirely about perverted boys and violent girls.
The perversion is layed on so thick its sickening.

3.Shuffle! This one got off to a great start but towards then end it began to be painful to watch. I dont know how to put spoiler tag thingies on so i dont think I should say why for fear of giving away too much.
Its basicaly a supernatural harem.

4.Tenjo Tenge This show got off to a great start but right when it got good it went into 9 filler episodes. It is only a 24 episode show.
There was little plot development at all in it.

5. Ikki Tousen There is a limit to the amount of fanservice I can handle and this one went way beyond that limit.
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:30 am Reply with quote
Icefire16 wrote:
This is my first post so Im a bit nervous but here I go.

Stick around, we don't bite... hard.. well not too hard.. ok, very rarely.. Very Happy

Quote:
1. Zero no Tsukaima- I have not seen anyone post this yet which is a shame but it is by far my favorite anime. On first impression it may seem like a harry potter look-a-like but it is beyond harry potter. I don't want to give away anything big but it has several plot twists in it and the fact that the main female character is so violent its cute, in a weird way. Kind of like Shana in shakugan no shana. She is easily angered and over sensitive and violent. Combine that with an unusually submissive main male character and a magical sci-fi atmosphere and you have thsi wonderful easy-to-watch show.

It's interesting that you like this show and spotted a couple of the similarities from the characters to those in Shakugan no Shana, your number 2 favorite. Did you also happen to catch that it is the same seiyuu (voice actors) for both the leads from Shana?

I also like Zero No Tsukaima, I like the the story, the characters, and the setting. And yes a few people compare it to Harry Potter. Sure, some of the backgrounds and creatures might resemble other popular works from other mediums, such as Harry potter, and people do like to point this out, but those popular works also copy most of their ideas from others before them, so I won't knock this series for that; there isn't an ounce of originality in Harry potter either, but it is a fun read. And this is also just another fun fantasy story that uses some elements from medieval magical tales. So don't worry, just because it isn't posted in favorite lists doesn't mean nobody likes it.

Quote:
3.Shuffle! This one got off to a great start but towards then end it began to be painful to watch. I don't know how to put spoiler tag thingies on so i don't think I should say why for fear of giving away too much.
Its basicaly a supernatural harem.

Now this is the first time I've heard this. Anytime I have ever heard someone talk about the series they say the show starts out bad and then it suddenly gets really good in the second half.

Oh, and adding a spoiler tag is just as easy as bolding text, which you do know how to do. Just instead of 'b' you type 'spoiler' in the brackets. Like so:
Code:
[spoiler] Text here [/spoiler]

And it is even easier to just use the buttons above the message space when you're posting.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Icefire16 wrote:
5. Ikki Tousen There is a limit to the amount of fanservice I can handle and this one went way beyond that limit.

This got to you but Girls Bravo didn't in the fanservice? Ikki Tousen definately is greater in that aspect, but GIrls Braco isn't anything to laugh at with fanservice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Icefire16

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Okay.

Well yes girls bravo got me in fanservice which i hinted at but did not really state so I appologize for that.
I liked the first season of girls bravo but the second season had too much fanservie wich is the main reason why it is in my bottom five. I may not have been too clear on this so I appologize.

Also for shuffle I will now state why I disliked it and put the spoiler tag on.
Whenspoiler[Kaede turned into a psycho nut near the end completely threw me off and I dont know what but something about the ending with asai got my goat as well. Probably because I was cheering for the god girl or it could be because I was so exited about who he was going to pick and get super powerful powers and the like that I was just dissapointed with asai though I somewhat knew that he would pick her because every time he got close to either the god or the demon it would balance it out with the other. More so the fact that kaede turned into a nutcase ruining the whole warm fuzzy feeling.]
Not sure how to say it... after that it was just...painful
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 48 of 122