• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Release Won't be Limited to Downloads

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drakonslair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
I have to say I've been waiting for someone to try this for a while just to see how it works out. Pricing will be interesting to see and combined with something like the new Apple TV it could be something Id be interested in.

I really do hope it works out as it could provide more direct income to Japanese companies if they decide to do the initial English subs themselves and distribute them. Much lower overhead producing a sub than attempting a dub and it might serve as an accurate indicator as to which shows should be dubbed. ( And possibly increase the quality of the dubs by extension )
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
Now this is more like it. Very Happy
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
Wait... so are the DVDs going to be bilingual or dub-only? I'm gonna be pissed if download is the only way to get the subbed version.
RadicalHaruko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Wait... so are the DVDs going to be bilingual or dub-only? I'm gonna be pissed if download is the only way to get the subbed version.

I sure hope the DVDs will be hybrid.. I've been trying to convince myself all day that it would make no sense at all to release a dub-only DVD. Still, some clarification would be nice.
.j.x.h.2.1.5.4..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
````

Last edited by .j.x.h.2.1.5.4.. on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure they'll also include the Japanese track for the DVD's. It'd be pointless for them to create an edited dub and market it towards children, since there's no physical action to speak of in the series to keep them excited.

If I can get a bit more money in my pocket, then I'll follow the DVD releases. Otherwise, I won't follow the series at all. Unless Viz actually allows us to burn legally downloaded episodes on to DVD's....*cough*notlikely*cough*
adonais

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
Awesome initiative, I'll definitely go for the download to at least try it out. Has Viz done this before? Does anyone know what kind of video quality to expect, or what the pricing will be at?

Edit: to the OP - so you're actually one of the few that was happy with the Apple TV announcement? Laughing I think it's ok, I can probably think of some uses for it even though I don't have a great deal of iTMS video media..

Last edited by adonais on Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Fried Tofu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

lol only 3 posts in... of course they will be. never ceases to amaze me how people are always paranoid.
Katrak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quote
I wonder how much they'll charge per-episode for the download service though. Depending on pricing, I dunno if I'd go for it.

Now if they gave us the choice of subscribing to the service, and getting unlimited downloads of a ton of series' monthly...THAT, I'd go for.
.j.x.h.2.1.5.4..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:45 am Reply with quote
````

Last edited by .j.x.h.2.1.5.4.. on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Caged

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
really happy to see they are finally trying out quick digital releases.

Can't stand the lag time between Japanese showings and american legal release Wink
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:52 am Reply with quote
So they finnialy found a way to attempt to stop fansubbers. Hehe, Although I respect there efforts here, this is not a good Idea, And i doubt it will last very long.
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
Curtis W. wrote:
So they finnialy found a way to attempt to stop fansubbers. Hehe, Although I respect there efforts here, this is not a good Idea, And i doubt it will last very long.

I don't think they are doing this because of the fansubs but more because they will make more money. Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
Didn't take them long to announce the DVDs. Thing is how long is it going to take them to release the DVDs is the question.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
This all proves to me that Viz is taking advantage of the series' current popularity; going as far as dubbing the DVDs as they are released in Japan -I believe only the first DVD has been released so far- but I definitely don't mind, hope more companies will get off their asses and license the big hits as they are released in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6