• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Initial D PC Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:49 pm Reply with quote
This isn't good news.

Valuesoft's products are of a horrible quality. No logical reason why Tokyopop went for such a low end game production house.

For a Righteous Fisking of "Midnight Outlaw Racing" see the following

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1677
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I like their truck-driving games, though that's because they are about the only game in town when it comes to trucking sims.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Good question indeed. After all, they've already struck the deal with SEGA to get their dub names into Initial D Arcade Stage and the PS2 port of the game.

But then, it really is never much of surprise when Tokyopop does anything anymore. I just get the crazy feeling one day we're going to log on, go to ANN, and find the news "Stuart Levy was found duct-taped to a flagpole in front of his office today wearing a kilt, googly-eye glasses, and a 'Disco Suxs' t-shirt".

Why, just because.
Izlude

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Can anything on Something Awful be taken seriously? lol

Here's a lil more of a fairer review - http://www.reviewoutpost.com/reviews/00457/totalreview.htm

Not good, but like pretty below average. However, I hope you guys here notice that Value Soft is only the publisher, not the developer. The developer of Midnight Outlaw was Canopy Games. So if anything, Sega Japan will probably be the developer, while Value Soft is the publisher. If not, we'll just have to wait and see how the final product turns out.

One thing ya always gotta put into consideration though is that anime based video games usually suck Smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
So if anything, Sega Japan will probably be the developer, while Value Soft is the publisher.

I doubt it. Sega isn't exactly a stranger to the PC and would have made the deal themselves without using a company like Value Soft to release it's games, a company that is only a spec next to the Sega powerhouse.

Just like Tokyopop is using RadioShack to make subpar RC cars instead of importing, they're going to use a crapy company like Value Soft to make subpar games. Doesn't seem like Tokyopop is as concerned about quality as it is about making a quick buck.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this is still the case, but the budget-priced Sega ports you get on the bargain racks at stores like Radio Shack, Future Shop, Best Buy or Office Depot are distributed by Expert Software, not ValuSoft. Make of that what you will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superdeformed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop is basically taking a large dump on Initial D. First the Americanized names, second DMX and Eminem remixes in the anime dub, radioshack cars, and now crappy PC games.

Why not stick to being a company that brings over japanese products to the "We love japanese pop-culture"-hungry American audience?

In case Tokyopop has not noticed, this Japanese stuff is damn trendy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I don't know if this is still the case, but the budget-priced Sega ports you get on the bargain racks at stores like Radio Shack, Future Shop, Best Buy or Office Depot are distributed by Expert Software, not ValuSoft. Make of that what you will.

Expert didn't really release a whole lot for Sega. They basicly picked up cheap stuff like Sonic that Sega probably wouldn't have done themselves. Sega has released a ton of stuff on their own, such as a lot of their racing games, Virtual Fighter, Virtua On, Virtual Cop, Last Bronx, several Smash Packs, among many other things under the Sega PC logo. In Japan they're even more active. I really doubt they'd let a big name like Initial D be handled by a small company like Value Soft.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1