• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Coyote Ugly

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Someone_II

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
199 discs? We all know he's added DVDs since then, too…
It's not THAT much bigger than mine. Laughing

Nice article.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
Haha, where were you in California?

Although traffic is bothersome on highways, it isn't that bad or as frequent in my area. Compared to Los Angeles that is.

Does Solty Rei face the fate of many Gonzo shows in terms of quality over time?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:

Although traffic is bothersome on highways, it isn't that bad or as frequent in my area. Compared to Los Angeles that is.

Does Solty Rei face the fate of many Gonzo shows in terms of quality over time?

In my opinion, it actually gets better over time. spoiler[There are some very drastic changes to overall atmosphere of the show (due to the show's twists and turns), and though it parts of it seem familiar from other stories, execution-wise & as a total package, it works out very well.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
Utawarerumono does get better after a bit. Once more of the harem is introduced, the story gets a bit better. I mean, what anime tells the whole backstory in the first four episodes? Still, it isn't a masterpiece or anything. I only buy individual volumes for series I REALLY like, such as Gankutsuou, so Utawarerumono has to wait for the thinpak.

Plus Utawarerumono inspired the Utawarriors fangame (though it might be made by Leaf), which is a ton of fun.
redcomet15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
Regarding Utawarerumono, the complicated back-story that you mentioned isn't noted at the beginning of the series because, I would imagine, the story's writers didn't mean for it be important until much later, after the characters and setting are established. In fact, I'm surprised that you took the time to read Utawa's Wiki entry and use it to help write your review, as I thought that ANN's usual policy was to review each volume of a series as a stand-alone disc/novel and rate it on the merits of that particular installment's contents. I'm also a little saddened, because by "spoiling" Utawa for yourself you've ruined quite a few wonderful plot twists. Sad
And even though I'm sure many forumites say the following about a favorite show of theirs after a reviewer claims it to move too slowly, I feel it's especially true in Utawa's case: after the initial set-up, this show starts to move at a breakneck speed. If you read the Wiki entry, then you know that the Utawa anime is based on a visual novel of the same name by Leaf, and like with any visual-novel-to-anime adaptation the Utawa anime has a massive amount of material to cover in a short amount of time, so look forward to plenty of action being crammed into future episodes. I'm not saying you're mistaken in calling the beginning episodes slow (although I personally enjoyed them); I just thought that it might be worth commenting that the viewer may find Utawa to his/her liking if he or she is patient enough.
I say all this not only because I truly believe Utawa to be one of the best anime to come out of Japan in recent years, but because I think it has potential to be a fan favorite here in America.
Haha, don't mark my words though~

Quote:
Plus Utawarerumono inspired the Utawarriors fangame (though it might be made by Leaf), which is a ton of fun.

Indeed, if the game you're talking about is the one I'm thinking of, it was made by Leaf. It was a mini-game included with Leaf Amusement Soft Vol. 4, which is basically a fun-disc jam-packed with all sorts of mini-games based off of Leaf properties.

Last edited by redcomet15 on Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:

Quote:
How is it that every major highway in California has six lanes in either direction, but is always busy every single day from 7AM to 8PM? I thought driving through New York City en route to Jersey was bad (and anyone who's done the same thing will agree), but this eternal constipation of traffic in the Sunshine State is ridiculous.

From "Staff"
Quote:
Bamboo (yes, it's her real name) recently graduated from Brown University with a Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering and is currently attending UC Irvine in pursuit of a PhD in molecular biology

Yeah, Bamboo's been living in CA. Not for very long apparently, otherwise she wouldn't even have mentioned it! Laughing

Well, I've already purchased the first vol. of Coyote Ragtime so it's too late there but this review is starting to solidify my thoughts of waiting for the Uta-whata-whatever box set.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
I was going to pick up best Student council. i'd heard such positive reviews...
i was also going to pick up Solty Rei but for some reason the Best Buy stores in my area want $24 for it. None of my other Funi dds cost that much, so i'll just wait a bit longer or something.

I don't know how I felt about Coyote Ragtime Shows first episode. Does anyone know if it gets any better?

Utawarerumono...well. Sounds intresting. I may have to grab this one!

Shelf Obessed...
I wasn't able to purchase Ninja nonsense because its selling for $27 at best buy. The second one is $20...i don't know. i think they messed up somewhere.

Wow. He seems to like a lot of the: Harem/maid anime. I was glad to see Infinte Rvyuis on that shelf! Only 1 vol of Elfin Lied? It gets better!

All in All nice column. i can't wait for the next one.
And if i could just get all my stuff in one place. i'll write a review when i get my new book/dvd case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
*ugh* L.A.'s traffic is an absolute nightmare at the moment. Plus, despite the propaganda coming out of Hollywood, it's not really a great place to live right now, since the housing market pretty much killed off one's ability to buy or do business here.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:28 am Reply with quote
i cant wait to see how opinions change when the second disc of Utawarerumono comes out. i pretty much thought the same as the review, but then after 4 i was addicted.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:02 am Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
In the distant future, the world is in a sad state of disrepair. An aurora is perpetually in the sky, with the entertaining side effect that if you fly too high, you get blown up. For whatever reason, ten years prior, there was an explosion so gnarly that people had random limbs shorn off their body. As a result, almost everyone has robotic limbs of some variety, which is prime reason to install firearms all over your body.

Writing like this is part of what makes this column my favorite one here on ANN. I love the slightly sarcastic tone. I wasn't really paying attention to Solty Rei at all, but now I may just give it a look.

And kudos to you for actually using the word "gnarly" in a post 1980s article. Dude, seeing that was just, totally, gnarly!
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:19 am Reply with quote
As for Coyote Ragtime Show, I gave up on it when they showed the flashback about how whatsherface's father stole the treasure. The plan and the execution was just so mindblowingly stupid that I couldn't even laugh at it. Especially that the character is supposed to be the greatest thief ever. The show had been pretty stupid so far, but that took the grand prize.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:25 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i can't wait to see how opinions when the second disc of Utawarerumono comes out. i pretty much thought the same as the review, but then after 4 i was addicted.

I will vouch on that as well! It gets far more entertaining once you get to see more of Hakuoro's rather slick tactical thinking for the upcoming wars he'll face (considering the visual novel is also a strategy RPG game as well).
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:37 am Reply with quote
I ordered Solty Rei volume 1 + box, rather blindly. I'm an easy target for sales campaigns, I kept seeing the banner and corner ads here and kept thinking, oh it's almost out, I better order it, without knowing anything about it. So I'm glad that it seems to have some positive reactions and that it doesn't look like I ordered a dud.

I was planning on waiting on Coyote Ragtime and Utawarerumono until I see a big sale sometime, so I agree there.
Nermal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah the 405 is zero fun...but on a plus note, I do get more time to sing songs in the morning.

Even though it was pretty corny, I liked Best Student Council and bought vol. 1...stickers were a nice bonus, but I'm hoping there's a box/puppet somewhere in its future Very Happy

britannicamoore wrote:
I wasn't able to purchase Ninja nonsense because its selling for $27 at best buy. The second one is $20...i don't know. i think they messed up somewhere.

I think Best Buy sometimes varies the way they price different volumes of the same series, depending on what they're trying to get rid of; maybe the discounted one is supposed to hook you into buying both. The Best Buy near me was selling the Hare Guu vol. 1 + box + wig for $15, but vol. 2 was regular price. I usually just get things from RightStuf so I can pre-order and not worry about going out to get it.

undeadben wrote:
I ordered Solty Rei volume 1 + box, rather blindly. I'm an easy target for sales campaigns, I kept seeing the banner and corner ads here and kept thinking, oh it's almost out, I better order it, without knowing anything about it.

Yes...me too. I'm easily swayed by repeated, colorful images. So much so that I'm considering getting an additional job.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:50 am Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Still, it isn't a masterpiece or anything. I only buy individual volumes for series I REALLY like, such as Gankutsuou, so Utawarerumono has to wait for the thinpak.

ADVs DVDs tend to include some really nice extras that are not on their thinpaks, so I tend to buy their individual DVDs. I'm a bit sad that Coyote didn't have a DVD insert, but at least it (along with Utawarerumono which does have an insert) has a nice reflective cover. I'm also glad that they are doing the 4-5 episode count since 12 episodes on 4 discs (like the Area 88 release) seems rather expensive, and also means waiting an extra month or two to complete a series. I did however recently buy the Gantz thinpaks, since I refused to buy a series 9one that I didn't care about) that was released 2-3 episodes at a time. The Gantz thinpaks seem to have all the extras. I tend to buy individual volumes of anything interesting, reserving thinpaks for those truly horrible shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3