• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Interests BESIDES Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Other interests beside anime...hmm well..
Playing volleyball,basketball, listening to music[diffrent types except country and rock], Reading books [manga included of course Wink ], watching tv/going to the movies, chilling on the block/mall w/e,Browsing the internet,playing videogames[mostly ps2 and counterstrike],drawing/painting,singing -sometimes[i'm Filipino so it's mandatory Laughing ,somehow almost all Filipino homes have that magic mic for parties and stuff hahahaha Laughing haha kidding],dancing [ugh..im not good at all, my friends make me. Anime cry i hate dancing],swimming,writing poetry [when I'm bored]. etc. Well...that's all I can think of at the time, it's not much but that's all. Bye Wink

Last edited by KAtchan15 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Playing video games, working, going to college to make myself a better human being. Listening to music (Metal FTW) and eating.

How pathetic a life I live. Sad
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
Acolyte wrote:
and revisting Paul William's Pelbar Cycle of books.

Oh wow, I read that series about 20 years ago, and parts of the story are still stuck in my brain after all this time. (btw, Acolyte, it's nice to see you post again. It seems like you have been absent from the forums for a long time. Smile ) Like many others, I like to read. When I was a kid, I always had my nose in a book and my interests are pretty far ranging. I usually read fiction from a variety of genres, generally preferring to immerse myself in a novel or even a series of novels. I also enjoy a lot of "serious" literature and have tried to be a well read person over my lifetime. Some works that have been somewhat challenging to get through, like Joseph Conrad's Nostromo, have turned out to be among my favorites. Although not exactly Harry Potter-esque page turners, some works that have been almost painful to finish while reading them have stuck with me and kept me thinking about them because the content is profound. I'm not sure I'd want to re-read some of these books, but I'm glad I made it through them once. Of course, I'm not at all adverse to some pure brain-candy now and then and have burned through my share of authors like Tom Clancy, Tony Hillerman, and Sharon Shinn as well.

I'm not much for watching pro sports, especially since I live in Seattle where our teams have a long history of getting everyone's hopes up sky high and then finding the most soul crushing way to lose. Thank you, Seahawks Anime cry I have also been put off by the ridiculous money in pro sports and the all too often stories of drug use/abuse and really poor behavior among spoiled, out of control pro athletes.

I'd much rather be playing sports instead of watching them anyway. I don't have much opportunity to play baseball/softball or football (the US version) anymore, but I played on a company soccer team a couple years ago and had a blast even though I'm terrible. We never put another team together though, so lately it's been mostly bike riding for me. It's been years since I went off road, so all my riding is on pavement these days even though I still ride a mountain bike. In the summer I try to get in at least 20 - 25 miles a day and in the winter I retreat to my stationary bike (where I can watch anime while I ride Anime hyper ). I also make it out to golf a few times a year, but probably represent more of a hazard to my fellow golfers than anything else.

As I have mentioned in other topics, I have been studying Japanese off and on for the past several years. It has been more off than on lately, but I will get more serious about it again one of these days soon. My interest in anime actually stemmed from my Japanese studies, and not the other way around as it has been for many other folks. Other languages and cultures fascinate me, and I have really enjoyed studying Japanese. I minored in Spanish in college, and one of these days I should really knock some of the rust off my Spanish ability too. I have forgotten a lot over the years.

Related to my interest in other cultures is a love of travel. I have been all over the Western US, traveling extensively by car throughout the country west of the Rockies (except Alaska). I have not been to a lot of different countries compared to some people, but have traveled around quite a bit in the places I have been. I've been all over Mexico, and have also covered a lot of Honshu in Japan. I have always wanted to be able to travel, but it's only been in the last 10 years or so that I have had the resources to do so. So, now travel is a big chunk of my recreation budget every year, and I am always thinking over my next trip in the back of my mind. As much as I enjoy traveling in Japan, I have never been to Europe so I may have to remedy that in the near future. I have wanted to see Spain for a long time.

Photography is another interest of mine, one which I like to mix with traveling. I need to take a good photography class at some point. I'm a total hack, and don't really have any idea what I'm doing, but it's still fun. I still have my trusty old 35mm Ricoh film camera and have even messed around with black and white film a bit, but lately I have been getting lazy and have been mostly using my digital cameras. I seem to have accumulated 3 of them over the years, 2 of which get used on a fairly regular basis.

I don't have time to do all of this stuff, so along with anime and some other interests everything kind of goes in phases. I'm watching a lot of anime right now, and very much enjoying participating in the forums here, but I'm sure I will eventually move my focus back to something else at some point.

Keonyn wrote:
That interest is lighthouses, I've always had a fascination with them ever since I got a small lighthouse statue when I was younger.

I was recently out at Point No Point, which is on Puget Sound in Washington State. The Point No Point lighthouse is a small but historic building. The Point used to be a popular place for fishing, and we went there often when we were kids, but fishing in Puget Sound is not what it used to be and the 2 small fishing "resorts" that once did business near there have both long since died out. Anyway, here you go. Not the best day for photography, but sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Good lord. Sorry for the long post. I doubt anyone can really be that interested in my life, but oh well. I had too much fun writing it to not post it now. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Acolyte

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Quote:
Oh wow, I read that series about 20 years ago, and parts of the story are still stuck in my brain after all this time. (btw, Acolyte, it's nice to see you post again. It seems like you have been absent from the forums for a long time. )

Ah, I've been here. But I tend to read far, far more than I post. In fact it is with some amazment I see that I reached 100 with that last post.
As for the Pelbar books, they are out again in reprint and I have an older daughter that has similar tastes in reading - so she got the series for Christmas.

Keonyn wrote:
Quote:
That interest is lighthouses, I've always had a fascination with them ever since I got a small lighthouse statue when I was younger. I have quite a large collection of these statues now in many different sizes from only an inch or so high too 2 and a half feet. Sadly not many exist here so the only ones I've actually visited are those in Minnesota, although this summer I am taking a trip to the upper peninsula of Michigan to visit and photograph some of the many lighthouses they have in that area.

How on earth could I forget that. I've a few of those around my house too. My biggest being the 6' monster wooden one I received for fathers day some years back. My favorite is the large Thomas Kinkade wall quilt with Psalm 91:2. I (we) like to visit the Oregon coast every couple of years so we get to see lighthouses quite a bit, as there are several along the coast. I've a calendar at work that has the Yaquina Head lighthouse on it, and wouldn't you know, it's the one and only lighthouse I've ever been in.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
You people have some really thrilling and exciting interests besides anime... but the conversation about weaponry really took me by surprise. Razz

I admire the people that already posted on this thread and when talking about music they actually gave names of the artists that they love the most. Perhaps I am one of those people that love very much or too much music and I simply can't put a list or name some names that I like because it would seem an injustice towards the great artists that I admire. I haven't dismissed any genre and I might say that from each and every type of music I have some favourites; from jazz to rock, and from classical music to pop music. I am a great collector of CDs and DVDs (with concerts as well Embarassed) and I just have too eclectic tastes so as to talk about them to much. I like to listen to music very much while being away in a trip or while trying to sleep. It pretty much accompanies almost all the time.

And talking about travelling, I would put this as a second thing that I am best at. I can't say that I have been in very many exotic places or that I have seen the world (I confess I never left Europe yet), but I definetly saw some really interesting things that just can't be compared with anything.
ManOfRust wrote:
Quote:
As much as I enjoy traveling in Japan, I have never been to Europe so I may have to remedy that in the near future. I have wanted to see Spain for a long time.

I think that you won't regret visiting Europe, though I might be a little subjective about it. Embarassed I'm promoting my own continent but it's just a fascinating place where many things might seem the same but they are definetly different and keeps one hungry to find out more. Oh, and Spain won't ever let you down (I'm not from Spain - so I'm objective about it).
The reason why I love so much traveling is that sometimes I can't feel being at home except when traveling and through out my journeys I have met some really interesting people with whom I keep in touch and whom I wouldn't have never met if there wouldn't have been my taste for traveling. It's just an amazing feeling to be on the road and having the wonderful feeling that I'm about to discover a new world (trust me, the Europeans are very, very different among themselves).

Reading is another passion of mine. It doesn't matter the genre as long as it says something to me, as long as it keeps me thinking all the time and as long as I'm terribly fascinated about the world in that book. It's a wonderful feeling to discover a new writer that might be very different from I would have expected and changes my perspective upon a certain thing. The intelligence and the magic or writing are just too great to keep me away. If no one speaks of remarkable things by Jon McGregor has to be mentioned here as I just finished it last night. It's just an amazing book that took me by surprise and probably one of my all time favourites.

And as others, I do like sports. Not just watching but actually doing something myself. Volleyball, tennis, basketball... they are definetly for me. I even played soccer (yes, TestamentSaki, me too). I'm an active person so I just can't sit around when there's some action on the sports court.

Art is another key role in my interests.... well, when I'm living in a great place to discover the amazing role of art and the beauty and the magic of it, it's kind of hard not to let myself go.Since I was little, my parents taught me to love art in every manifestation of it and never to take it lightly. At the same time I have learned along the way that what art might mean to me, it doesn't mean to the other next to me so momentarily I'm just glad to be around people with an immense talent in creating out of their beautiful minds something palpable that enchants people.

This is turning into a long post so I think I will stop here or I'll keep blabbing about it.
Embarassed Wink
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
I even played soccer (yes, TestamentSaki, me too)

High five then! Although you're lucky if you didn't get a knee injury as I did. And have you thought about joining the forum I told ya about Wink?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm a man of little words, so I'll keep it short.

Work: I was with the US Army for 8 years, and got out because my contract was done. Nothing to do with war, my time was done. Other then that, driving job and since I go by my house around lunch, I get to drop by and check my e-mail and junk.

Sports: None, getting too old to run and jump and stuff. That's the other reason why I got out of the Army. I do go for a run once and awhile, but I'm in good shape as is.

Games. I enjoy RPG, Action, and Fighting games. I do play FPS, but I'm not as "hardcore" as some people. My MMO of choice is City of Heroes. Tried WoW, didn't like as much as CoH.

Anime/Movies: I'm sure I posted my Top 5 somewhere on this board. I do enjoy action, comedy, and fantasy types

Music/Radio: I like 70's-90's Rock and hate Rap. When I'm out and about during the day, I listen to talk radio, like Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity.

I don't drink that much any more, but I do smoke.

If I do think of anything eles, I'll add it.

EDIT: Sean, not Shawn.

Last edited by Ataru on Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
TestamentSaki wrote:
aya_honda wrote:

High five then! Although you're lucky if you didn't get a knee injury as I did. And have you thought about joining the forum I told ya about Wink?

I still play soccer as a past time when not waching anime or doing other things. A injury I got wasn't a knee injury but two broken ribs...Yeah it happend when I fell while I had the ball and the other player ran up and kicked me as hard as he could, an accident he says but I remember him being quite a ways away as I fell but whatever Rolling Eyes This hapened a few years ago by the way.
Malroth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Games, games, and more games. Gosh, where to start. My wife and I are huge fans of games of almost any sort.

Video Games - I like mostly anything of the RPG genre, though I'll play just about anything so long as the gameplay is good. My wife loves puzzle games more than I in this regard. FFXII, FFVII, Rule of Rose..all fun games.

RPGs - What can I say..my wife and I met during a game of Shadowrun when she joined the campaign. We play D&D (2nd ED and 3.5), Shadowrun, and GURPS in various forms.

Board Games - Chez Geek, Descent, Settlers of Catan, Cribbage, and other card games of all sorts.

Computer Games - I actively play on TorilMUD, which is a great game that is going through a lot of changes at the moment. I'm a Lieutenant within the guild Shadows of Imphras, and have more characters than I rightfully should (though nowhere near some people!) Also a fan of the Elder Scrolls games, which I only play on the computer.

Books - Well, I am an assistant librarian, so I read pretty much anything. Fantasy/Sci-fi primarily, but if it's good, I'll read it no matter the genre.

TV - The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Cartoon Network in general, and yeah, I love watching RAW and Smackdown as well. It's just hilarious..I love it. So silly. I do hope, however, when HHH comes back, he comes back as a face. His heel character was way overused, and while he tends to just squash people whether face or heel, at least he can be amusing as a face.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How on earth could I forget that. I've a few of those around my house too. My biggest being the 6' monster wooden one I received for fathers day some years back. My favorite is the large Thomas Kinkade wall quilt with Psalm 91:2. I (we) like to visit the Oregon coast every couple of years so we get to see lighthouses quite a bit, as there are several along the coast. I've a calendar at work that has the Yaquina Head lighthouse on it, and wouldn't you know, it's the one and only lighthouse I've ever been in.

I have quite a few of them from many manufacturers, mostly Harbour Lights though as they are the premier manufacturer of lighthouse collectibles. Some of the collectibles I have I'm not even sure who made them as I got them when I first started collecting them and I picked them up from a small mom and pop shop in a small resort town in northern Minnesota. The lighthouse calendar I picked up this year I chose specifically because Two Harbors light is featured in it which is one of the lighthouses I visited just last summer along with Split Rock, both of which I got to go inside.

Quote:
I was recently out at Point No Point, which is on Puget Sound in Washington State. The Point No Point lighthouse is a small but historic building. The Point used to be a popular place for fishing, and we went there often when we were kids, but fishing in Puget Sound is not what it used to be and the 2 small fishing "resorts" that once did business near there have both long since died out. Anyway, here you go. Not the best day for photography, but sometimes you have to take what you can get.

Nice picture, we can't control the weather so can't really count that against it, my pics from my trip last year didn't have the best weather either. That's a pretty small lighthouse though, one of the smaller ones I've seen aside from those pier head lights which some towns have that are little more than a box on stilts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
TestamentSaki wrote:
aya_honda wrote:

I still play soccer as a past time when not waching anime or doing other things. A injury I got wasn't a knee injury but two broken ribs...Yeah it happend when I fell while I had the ball and the other player ran up and kicked me as hard as he could, an accident he says but I remember him being quite a ways away as I fell but whatever Rolling Eyes This hapened a few years ago by the way.

I also still play soccer especially as I'm a very active person but at the same time I was luckier than both of you since I never got an injury. And I haven't quit playing soccer just yet. Perhaps is the influence of my brother who played professional soccer and still likes to meet daily with his friends at an amatory club and just have fun playing soccer. Though they never accept girls. I wonder why. Shocked
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, the soccer world is still very biased to men. That's why I dream of the day when a woman proves soccer isn't just for men... And plays with men in a team. About time, don't you think?

And, is your brother enjoying the anime series you gave him? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quote
My main interest outside of anime is old horror fiction, especially H.P. Lovecraft and the "Lovecraft Circle" writers(including writers that influenced HPL) and classic and Victorian ghost story writers such as E.F. Benson, H.R. Wakefield, and M.R. James.

For music, I like old alteranative-type music, especially punk(Crass, The Clash, Gang of Four, Pop Group/Mark Stewart, Wire, Buzzcocks...)and industrial(Suicide, Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, S.P.K., Non...) from the mid-late 70s to the early-mid 80s--the primitive production, playing and electronic intruments are somehow appealing to me, but Pink Floyd is my favorite group ever...I even like the Gilmour-led lineup.

24 is the only non-anime TV show I currently watch regularly; I think I've been able to stay interested in it because it pretty much delivers some kind of pay-off to its veiwers each season. Shows I used to watch regularly include LOST, AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE, SIMPSONS, SOUTH PARK, and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, but I saw some recent episodes of SOUTH PARK, and it looks like they might be getting good again.
Mercury Crusader

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Anime is what I call my secondary hobby. As big an anime fan as I am, I'm an even bigger video game collector. I got my first video game console, an NES, back in 1988, and pretty much haven't slowed down on anything video game-related. And I'm a horrible packrat and very protective of my hardware, keeping regular maintenance on my stuff. Hell, my NES still works to this day (to those that blow into their NES cartridges, please stop, you're making me sad), thanks to regular maintenance. NES, SNES, Sega Genesis/CD/32X, Atari 2600, Game Boy/Pocket/Color/Advance/Advance SP/Micro, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation, PS2, Xbox, Virtual Boy, Neo Geo, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Game Gear, DS, PSP, Wii, Xbox 360, hell, I even have a Sega Pico sitting around collecting dust. This is on top of the various games I've acquired over the years for each system, with Tengen Tetris on the NES being my prized possession. If I'm not out buying anime, I'm out shopping for rare and obscure games.

I'm also a fan of wrestling, and unfortunately, a "smark." I grew up watching a lot of old tapes from the days of the territories, mosty because my dad was big on wrestling back in the day. NWA, AWA, WCCW, CWF, and the like, with Jim Crockett having most of the wrestling I wanted to see (Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Ole Anderson, and Tully Blanchard, with James J. Dillon as the manager, sound familiar?) . Was never a big fan of the WWF, but I did enjoy what little of the WWWF I did see, back when Vincent J. McMahon was in charge, and before his son, in my opinion, "ruined" televised wrestling and the territories. I'm your standard old school wrestling fan, rating current talent against past talent, favoring those with a better workrate than those with mic skills (although I use the Horsemen rating system to balance workrate with mic skills, because I strongly believe they had both), and constantly complaining about the current product being dished out by both the WWE and TNA (read: Vince Russo). Also, Bryan Danielson is the BEST WRESTLER IN THE WORLD and he will tell you that quite often while "The Final Countdown" plays in the speakers, and also after telling the ref that he has till five. Laughing

While I'm thinking about it, I also collect and watch a lot of B-movies, mostly cliche low budget horror films from the 1980s. And I listen to a lot of music from the 1970s and 1980s. And I'm a huge Weird Al fan.

I'm quite the nerd, but I work for a living, so I manage somehow. The USAF is fun, people, if you like flying a desk :V
Veritas69

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Besides for anime I'm into a lot of sci-fi series and movies as well as fantasy, action, and adventure. I don't watch that much horror/thriller shows. Other than that I play video games(Final Fantasy games mostly), a few first person shooter games for the PC, and a role player game Dungeons and Dragons.

That basically takes up the rest of my time when I'm not in school or working or watching anime. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10