• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Supporting the Inudustry Without a License?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonlightSerenity

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:28 am Reply with quote
So my question to everyone is when there is an anime you love that is not licensed in your country(aka US, Europe, ect) but you want the box set for if what do you usually do?

I am all about supporting the industry I but domestics, manga, have a crunchyroll account, you name it I want to support the industry however when it comes to some of the anime I love such as Skip Beat, Valkyria Chronicles, 07 Ghost, the list goes on I want to support the industry but since these are not licensed anime's for the US and I want box sets what are my options?(I can't think of any) I am not a fan of buying imports but it seems to be that or just download the anime online.

What does everyone else do?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote
I'll buy OST albums on occasion.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
This is certainly a topic that has been on my mind with no U.S. licensing company taking a chance on Chihayafuru. I think the best course of action would be licensed merchandise from the likes of Amiami, Rightstuf, etc. It's certainly not ideal but hopefully, those in the production committee of the anime you want to support will take notice.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
I buy merchandise if it exists for the series I enjoy: art books, figures, mugs/cups are my favorite types of merchandise.

I know some people actually import the Japanese release of anime series but that is a little above my budget.

ColonelYao47 wrote:
This is certainly a topic that has been on my mind with no U.S. licensing company taking a chance on Chihayafuru

I know this depresses me greatly, I will most likely get it eventually from Australia (although my list of things I want to import from Australia keeps growing).

But with Chihayafuru there are a few things

Vol 1 & 2 of the biligual manga (if only they would release the whole series this way)
2014 calendar
there was a lovely Karuta set (but not sure if that is still available).
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Australian releases — either bought from JB HiFi's website, or bought in person when I visit Australia.
When I'm back there in December I plan on making a trip into the city and coming back with a bag full of goodies, Chihayafuru and Kaiba among them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1