• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-01-26]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
Personally i'd like to say that anime popularity also spiked when Sailor Moon stared airing. And Dragon Ball. I remember a time when 2/3 of the girls in my school wanted to be Sailor Moon. Also when Sonix the Hedgehog came on tv.

Why did that guy send you a letter? I mean not that its bad its just a bit odd. it seems like if he did some high profile work like that he should have been getting calls. Do you think it was real or a prank?

as for the rant- nope I don't care what anyone watches. as long as you don't run around with japanese words you learned from ff.net screaming about ninjas and alchemists you're fine with me.

Did you just give us a link to ff.net? What a twist!

But in all seriousness this rant left me in a WTF pose. Was he hyping his favorite show? Or...something esle?

As for the banner contest...I can actually do that. yay.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:46 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Ill try and make a banner. Why not.

That rant was so surreal and bizar, I couldnt for the life of my figure out what to make of it. I honestly can't figure out what he was trying to say, unless it was no more then "This is a great show, why dont people like it?"
Hmn.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Why did that guy send you a letter? I mean not that its bad its just a bit odd. it seems like if he did some high profile work like that he should have been getting calls. Do you think it was real or a prank?

I'm positive it was real. If you look the guy up on IMDB he hasn't had work in a while, and the two he mentions are bit roles.

His dad DID produce Krull, though!

It really is one of the most puzzling letters I've received.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Remember, for every one guy saying "bias", there are likely 2 more offering constructive disagreements with your opinion; respond to those guys. They deserve your attention.

I thought that ratio was the other way around and cubed. However, there is hope in that there are more critical minds in college than I had first perceived.
icepick314

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
i'm seriously disturbed by that whole burning the building down from couple of kids...

i think you should have the police look into that e-mail...

and i like SisPri too...there's nothing wrong with liking shows for whatever it is...

i watched and bought DVDs from any and all series from Card Captor Sakura to Gantz...

as long as you are not obsessing over to the point where you have several full sized anime dolls, i think you're still normal...

god i've heard of stories from hard core otaku and i feel so sorry for them...doesn't know how to interact with people and stuck inside their room with nothing but posters, figurines, and anime....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
For that blogging question, I think I'll answer it with a ratio from the restaurant management world: for every compliment you get, there are approximately ten complaints. For the sake of blogging, I'd modify it to say it's more along the lines of one compliment, three constructive comments, and six complaints that simply state that the writer's attitude and/or viewpoint is completely out of line minus any supporting evidence.

In terms of that rant: one of the strangest things I've read in the last couple of years. I can understand ultra-devotion to a show (such as it is with me and Eva), but I also don't get that hot under the collar everytime I read something or hear someone wail away at my favorite show. When I tell people that Eva is my favorite show, I sometimes get looks that say, "It's a 10-year-old title; get with the program and watch the newest and biggest thing." Not everyone's gonna share the same interests as you; get over it. Likewise, if you feel people are critical of you for owning a title like Sister Princess, ignore them. It's nothing that major to get so worked up over. Frankly, as britannicamoore said, I honestly don't care what other people watch (and in my opinion own).

And that flake of the week: I wish some people could find better things to do with their time than publicly outline their so-called plan for revenge against the evil R1 companies Rolling Eyes.

EDIT: In hindsight, I've thought about it, and have concluded that this rant was a joke, albeit an interestingly worded one. However amusing it is, though, there is no way in the world that it competes with anything that Dave Berry's written Razz. Still, my opinion stands for those that whine that the rest of the world isn't in synch with what they watch.

Last edited by NGE1113 on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
I got a good kick out of that rant, becuase Sister Princess is one of the rare anime I attempted to watch and hated to the friggin' core! It was several years ago, there was a fansub playing at a con. 1 hour block. I went to check it out on account of I don't have much fansub access, so I thought it'd be fun to check out something I couldn't see otherwise. Boy, was I WRONG! After struggling to pay attention through the horrible setup pacing (wait, why should I care that this guy didn't get into that school? And now he's off to an island, just like that? Question ), meeting the Most Annoying Anime character ever (thankfully, my memory has supressed his name... red-headed boy), and hearning a never-ending string of Japanese variants on the word 'brother', credits started to roll and I booked it out of that room for the next panel... which, upon my arrival, hadn't started yet. So i checked my watch... and found, to my horror, that for all the dragging, annoying setup, that had me screaming in my head 'just end already!', that I'd only sat through 20 minutes of the 1-hour block.

I suppose one could argue I must've been watching an inferior fansub. I don't care. I will never, EVER, attempt to watch more of this show again. Not if it was the Last Anime on Earth!

(Long story short, the guy who wrote the rant probably hates me. Laughing )
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote
Wow that letter about burning Viz down, it really makes you wonder if there are crazy enough people who might do that. Also as for the "King" who needs work....it's nearly impossible to believe that is real.....but since Zac (in the post above me) said he fairly positive that the letter was real.

One last thing, one could only imagine what kind of banner Zac might get.....the sheer number of moe banners could blow up his monitor.
Cuprin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:06 am Reply with quote
Definition of unbiased: Dead.

Someone calls you biased, you remind them that for any person, any idea is going to be filtered through the experience of their own lives. Yeah, any opinion is going to be biased.

Oh forget that... just call them a moron and tell them to use their brains.

[did I mention I'm having a REAL bad week?]
Nebs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
me and my friends are planning to burn viz headquarters to thr ground for the edits they made to naturo and fullmetal alchemest. then the world will know what real animes are

Ever wonder if people purposely send ridiculous emails just so they can get featured in the Flake of the Week?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quote
I haven't had anyone accuse me of being biased on my blog...yet. Of course, I've only gotten one comment, total. Anime hyper

Mark Silverman's letter surprised me. I have to admit, the word 'prank' did pop up into my head (partially because all I could think was "Hey Answerman, help me get an anime job!"), but Zac thinks it's really him so, best of luck to him!

The Flake this week is awesomely bad. You'd think that if they had enough time to plan arson, they could take a moment to look up the fact that Funimation did FMA, not Viz. Besides, Funimation did barely ANY edits. And both companies released the anime uncut on DVD...

hmm. I might try the banner thing. I'm not that great with image editing software, but...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Quote:
me and my friends are planning to burn viz headquarters to thr ground for the edits they made to naturo and fullmetal alchemest. then the world will know what real animes are

Ever wonder if people purposely send ridiculous emails just so they can get featured in the Flake of the Week?

They do. Generally I can weed those out.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:01 am Reply with quote
Oh, hey, I just thought--when it says in the rules that the banner has to feature the Answerman logo, does that just mean that it has to say "Hey, Answerman!", or does it mean it has to have the word bubble and have the text be slanted the same way?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:04 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Oh, hey, I just thought--when it says in the rules that the banner has to feature the Answerman logo, does that just mean that it has to say "Hey, Answerman!", or does it mean it has to have the word bubble and have the text be slanted the same way?

It just has to say "Hey, Answerman!".
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote
Cool. Anime smile I'll have to see what fun things I can figure out to do with the text....
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5