• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Tokyopop Manga Licenses

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that means now that only CLAMP's little one shots are not liscensed now I think.

>.> Nice to know Tokyopop is open to Shonen-ai series... I guess. If Gravitation and Gouhou Drug go well, we'll probably be seeing a lot more titles.
Mikuji

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if Tokyopop found a way to turn them into flatchested women.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:21 am Reply with quote
Ohh, poor Mikuji. Still whining after Wish, eh?

Guess what, Fake was handled with ALL due candor, respect, and an excellent translation. Wish was not even a literal mistake, but an example of language barriers. Our language really doesn't have many (if any) terms for someone who is without gender. Tokyopop is incredibly proud of their CLAMP connection. I would not be surprised if they actually asked CLAMP if it was okay to call Kohaku a girl.

Grow up. Tokyopop is a great company that's done more for manga in the past three years than Viz and Dark Horse have done in ten.
Ryuko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:58 am Reply with quote
I'm sure they did ask. The reason they called Kohaku a female is because it would have been much too difficult to fiddle around with gender-neutral pronouns like It. We don't have any gender-neutral pronoun that isn't unweildy and weird sounding, whereas Japanese pronouns are largely gender-neutral if they're used at all.

After actually reading the series, I find it more believeable that Kohaku be female anyway.

As for Tokyopop's treatment of shounen ai, it's been exemplary thus far. There's really no reason to criticize them, especially not if you're a fan of shounen ai. There's really no one else who's doing it, and even if there was, it's unlikely anyone would be doing it better.
nicoruchan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the volume and quality of Tokyopop releases in the past, we really can't complain. I just hope that they go all out and make this gouhou drug release as spiffy as the japanese one is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1