• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-02-02]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mozilla
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
I really really love the GITS Answerman logo, nice job.

As always, Answerman clocks in to fulfill my Friday morning cravings.
Too bad ANN is going offline for an hour Sad
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
I can't remember the last time I laughed so much at a Flake of the Week. Laughing

Nice animal picture, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
Nce banner!

For the Eva guy- Zac you hit this one on the head. I can't stand it when people get all up in arms about sequels. Keep in mind people this ain't Disney.
I in fact can't wait to see the new movies. I love it when they take good shows and continue them- 9 times out of 10 they turn out to be pretty darn good. At least they're shooting for some that can be achieved rather than say a second season.

As for Dj Milky...even though I don't read those books that makes me kind of sad. I don't know why all people think in order to be cool you have to sound like a stupid wannabe gangsta- oh right MTV/BET. Thanks a lot for making teens seem retarded.

Ah Anime club. I remember when Media Play use to have on every Friday. We always had a good turnout- and we'd get discounts at the end of each meeting on the stuff there. I remember (at least then) a lot of the dvd compaines had programs you could join where they'd send free videos or merch to the different clubs. Don't know if they do that anymore but it'd be worth a shot.

I wish i could fly. maybe if I pratice hard enough and work on growing wings with my friends i'll someday soar through the air.
But in all seriousness- I don't disregard the fact that he's training his chi. It's possible. he's just not going to turn into a crazed village destroying demon fox. if he achieves this goal i hope he writes back. I'd love to hear his story.

The rant was intresting. They're both great creators. I think that people call him the Disney of Japan for two reasons.

1. They just associate him with Disney because of Spirted Away
2. They are giving him honor saying he compared to one of the great "filmakers"

Take your pick- it could be either one. Although I feel like the ranter sort of discredited Miyazaki a bit.

Great Column as always Zac.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:23 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
I see the Flake needs to take a Chinese culture class and learn what chi *really* is.

Hint: it's not Naruto or DBZ.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ceru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Thanks so much for that interesting rant (though I prefer to think of it as an "argument"), and my only sadness about it lies in the fact that the people who will probably appreciate this the most are animators. Sad
linlinchan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

The rant was intresting. They're both great creators. I think that people call him the Disney of Japan for two reasons.

1. They just associate him with Disney because of Spirted Away
2. They are giving him honor saying he compared to one of the great "filmakers"

I don't want to be whatever, but seeing as the first time I heard Miyazaki compared to Disney was more than 10 years ago, I don't know that it has much to do with Spirited Away.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
It looks to me that the guy was very serious in what he said. It's too bad there are people out there who can't come to a reality checkpoint. I loved the rant, it made a lot of sense, Disney did put a lot on the line to create the Empire there is today. Hayao Miyazaki has everything right there before him, he just had to put the pieces of the puzzle together.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
this is honestly the first time i have ever burst out laughing reading the Flake of the Week. do you ever get letters about alchemy? it seems like it should have happened by now.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:29 am Reply with quote
The Flake of the Week was just too funny...and I, too, would like to see an alchemy one, just to see what that person wrote!

As for the rant, VERY well thought out! Chris obviously did his homework. And it certainly made me think about the differences between the two men and what they developed and/or grew up with.

But, I also agree with what britannicamoore said:
Quote:
They are giving him honor saying he compared to one of the great "filmakers"

I think that it's a compliment.
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:30 am Reply with quote
the flake of the week sounds like my friend who makes his own "jitsu". I asked him to create me a "bang a million hotties right now" jitsu but he was unsuccessful.

he was also teased without mercy.

miyazaki and disney are lumped together because they're both responsible for the greatest animation there respective countrys created.

personally i do agree that Disney himself didn't draw much but just understood art and how to market it, something he did with great success. he was also a bit of an assbag.

miyazaki is alot more like Ub Iwerks than Disney, doing all the work himself and doing a bang up job of it.

the sap has spoken.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
Regarding the state of Eva:
It's one of Gainax's cash cows, and they feel they have to keep it alive somehow. As much as I love the show, even I have times where I feel it'd probably be best for Gainax to give it a rest and move on. But hey, money talks and everything else walks, so I doubt it's going to disappear from the scene for a good while yet. Still though, there's almost no doubt in my mind I'll check out the remakes sooner or later. I try to adhere to the belief that you can't knock something without sampling it first.

DJ Milky:
I guess Levy thinks that the ends somehow justify the means. If he feels that the only way to sell a product is to create a false persona because something about the product is lacking, what's a little deception between consumer and producer?

Dark Horse and its treatment of manga:
I haven't read Berserk yet (first six volumes currently on-order), but I have read Shadow Star. Presentation-wise, I found nothing wrong with it (except for it being flipped[?]). There was a hubbub about editing the last couple of volumes that were released, but I understood why it was necessary, so it wasn't a big deal to me. All that irritates me about Dark Horse at the moment is the knowledge that there won't be anothe volume of Shadow Star anytime in the distant future.

How to maintain your anime club:
JMU's anime club is fairly small, but dedicated. There are outside activites, but the most interesting one I've seen so far involves an online contest on their forum, with prizes given out for the upfront winner and when a certain point total is reached. Keeps people involved, I can say that much.

The flake:
I've been in a very good mood all day (a test score was changed from a 36 to a 95 due to my scantron landing in the wrong scoring pile); the sheer hilarity coming from the flake's absurdity just topped it off.

The rant:
Bravo, a rant about a new subject for once, and an interesting subject at that. Good evidence presented to show how Miyazaki and Disney are different people when it comes to the business. It was kind of shocking to learn that Miyazaki isn't a very change-happy person. Not so when it comes to Disney; Epcot and the world of tomorrow areas of Disney World speak to his embrace of new technology. However, Miyazaki's being titled as the Disney of Japan probably stems from the fact that he, much like Disney did in America, helped change the animation landscape of Japan. After Spirited Away's success, America was alerted to what he was capable of, and the label the mass media applied pretty much stuck.

Last edited by NGE1113 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
IDontSayLOL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:52 am Reply with quote
Damn, i feel famous. Mozilla and Britannica, thanks for you kind words about my banner submission. It's great to see a superior title like Stand Alone Complex take the spotlight on the first week.

I'd like to echo the point of how intellegint this week's rant was. When entertainers become as prolific as Disney and Miyazaki, they also become that much more diffcult to wrap your head around. They become disembodied icons of whatever field they've impacted, which makes it that much harder for them to get their due respect. The comparison is an easy mistake for a broadcaster looking for a soundbite, considering how incomprehensible animation production is to the general public, but just a little bit of knowledge points out how different their contributions really are.

- AdamModiano.com

Last edited by IDontSayLOL on Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
halo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:54 am Reply with quote
Great rant, it was very well written however I'd like to point out one small mistake. El Apóstol was the first feature length animation. Walt Disney didn't invent the idea, he was about 14 years behind.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:

DJ Milky:
I guess Levy thinks that the ends somehow justify the means. If he feels that the only way to sell a product is to create a false persona because something about the product is lacking, what's a little deception between consumer and producer?

Two Words: Milli Vanilli Laughing
energydan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I learned Rasengan a few weeks ago and it's not all it's cracked up to be. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6