• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Licenses Tide-Line Blue and My-Otome

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etempest2k7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
Very glad to hear about My-Otome is coming over.
The thing to keep in mind it's NOT My-Hime.
Both are very well done and have most of the same "characters" but two completely different plots/backgrounds.

[EDIT: Merged the two threads and changed the title to fit the relevant parts. -TK]
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote
Of course you knew it was coming eventually, now that 'My-HiME's release is finished. So it's time to get the next series up and running for release. Actually this is a quick announcement. I had expected something along the lines of spring or summer and seeing it in the fall. Looks like companies are working fast.

Looks like 2007 is turning out to be a good year for new releases. Wink
Tumalu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
This might be a silly question, but shouldn't there be a 7th volume of My-HiME? Disc 6 goes through episode 23, but weren't there 26? I haven't seen a volume 7 listed on any sites though.

Glad to hear they licensed My-Otome too though.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Both are very well done and have most of the same "characters" but two completely different plots/backgrounds.

Now I'm a little bummed, I'm still following Bandai's release of HiME and avoided any details regarding Otome to avoid spoilers -I thought that Otome is a sequel that continues where Hime would leave out, but I hope the series is good enough on its own.

The down side is for us who didn't check the fansubs is that it would take over a year to get the entire series, please don't make us wait too long between each volume and the next this time Bandai.
halo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I would have been happy to hear this but with the sheer number of problems I've had with Bandai Ent. over the last year or two I probably won't but it from them.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
I would have been happy to hear this but with the sheer number of problems I've had with Bandai Ent. over the last year or two I probably won't but it from them.

I agree, Bandai really has been on my bad side as far as releases go. Specifically after shelling out that money for Zeta Gundam boxset........

But after looking at the summary for Tide-Line Blue, I am slightly intrigued, by this title. Any advance reviews, what is this show really like?
NGE1113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Should be interesting to rewatch the first few episodes of My-Otome. It didn't hold my interest the first time I watched it, but I'm ready and willing to give it another go.

Tumalu wrote:
This might be a silly question, but shouldn't there be a 7th volume of My-HiME? Disc 6 goes through episode 23, but weren't there 26? I haven't seen a volume 7 listed on any sites though.

Most of the online retailers haven't put up any info yet due to the far off released date. However, Right Stuf has, though.
halo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

But after looking at the summary for Tide-Line Blue, I am slightly intrigued, by this title. Any advance reviews, what is this show really like?

It's not bad. It's not overly original and the story is a little rushed (the series could have been longer), but still enjoyable. The encyclopedia has a decent synopsis on it.

Yeah, the Zeta boxed set is one of the biggest peeves I have. Not so much the fact they made no mention of the OP/ED changes prior to it's release but more to the fact that I'd have waited for the individual released discs if I'd have known they had much more accurate subtitles! Not to mention I had to have 4/10 of the discs replaced (3 for unreadable disc sectors, 1 duplicate disc).

In addition to that and the GitS: SAC issues I'm sure most of us remember, I've had to return a few other discs that wouldn't play due to some replicator issue that casued unreadable sectors on the disc. The latest was Gundam Seed Destiny volume 6 that just came out. I contacted them and it's been several days with no response. The stupid way they packaged the Limited Edition with a totally unnecessary op-out box mangled the DVD slip-cover.

Oh, and lets not forget the .hack//LoT DVD I bought and it wouldn't play past the menu. They say it's a problem with my DVD player. But judging from the fact that I have 400-500 other DVDs that play fine and they have plenty of other complaints of this problem, I'd say it's not my fault. There was another $30+ I could have spent elsewhere.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man, I'm glad someone picked up Tide-Line. It's a great overlooked show with fun characters a great plot that centers around a conflict with no clear good or evil sides, and there's even a love story that manages to be believable and not overwhelm things, which is a rarity in anime. Oddly enough, the designs kind of look like they were made by the people who did Avatar: The Last Airbender-kind of halfway between anime and western style, with anime noses and exageration but small eyes and more realistic anatomy than most shows. The female lead in particular looks quite a bit like Katara.

In any case, I'll be getting the series, and I recommend it to all.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
Most of the online retailers haven't put up any info yet due to the far off released date. However, Right Stuf has, though.

Your link does not work. I got the right links here. The sixth DVD was released on January 2007 and we have to wait three months for the last one? I hope this is worth it. I took a chance with My-Hime and it turned out to be a pretty good series. I have read bits and pieces about My-Otome and heard it is also a good watch. I will be sure to pick up the DVDs this summer.

Special Edition
Regular DVD
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
An artbox with vol 7? There was an artbox with vol 1. Is it a re-release, for those who missed the artbox w/ Vol 1?
NGE1113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
The Naked Beast wrote:
Your link does not work.

I'll keep product specificity in mind for future links in posts..

Faceman wrote:
An artbox with vol 7? There was an artbox with vol 1. Is it a re-release, for those who missed the artbox w/ Vol 1?

The volume 7 artbox is designed to replace the piece of "cardboard" that came with volume 1. Anime on DVD has a picture of the new artbox on their review template for volume 7. From the looks of it, it more than makes up for it.
Stullz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Another Mai (My) HIME artbox... Maybe they'll make it a quality one this time... The one with the first volume is barely sturdy enough to stand on its own (bring on the chipboard at least please)
Stullz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
The Naked Beast wrote:
Your link does not work.

I'll keep product specificity in mind for future links in posts..

Faceman wrote:

The volume 7 artbox is designed to replace the piece of "cardboard" that came with volume 1. Anime on DVD has a picture of the new artbox on their review template for volume 7. From the looks of it, it more than makes up for it.

WOW Now that is a promising looking box!
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting a little leery of Bandai myself after issues with volume 6 of Gundam Seed Destiny. Still waiting on a replacement. Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2