• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: English Nausicaä dub in the works

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Ok, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there already an English dub for Naussica? I have seen it many times in the past (probably about 10-15 years ago) on cable, though I believe the title was "Warriors of the Wind." Not having been the anime fan then that I am now, I don't know how accurate a dub it was or how edited it was, but I do remember that I absolutely loved it & thought it was one of the best animated features that I'd seen.

It'll be interesting to see just how much was cut - with my luck it was probably hacked to shreds, but then I guess it'll make this release all the better in the end.. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:39 pm Reply with quote
You should go to Nausicaa.net and see what Miyazaki thought of Warriors of the Wind. I am excited about Nausicaa and Whisper of the Heart being released in the U.S.! I have been wanting to see them for a while and it looks like I'll be able to soon. Smile
herbkir

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:14 pm Reply with quote
The "Warriors of the Wind" version of Nausicaa was a full third shorter than the original and was de-Japanified to a ridiculous degree. For instance, Nausicaa herself became Princess Zondra. Kushana became Queen Serena, and so on. About the only character to retain his original name was Yupa. The dialog underwent major changes as New Line attempted to turn Nausicaa into a kiddie cartoon. Yet such was the power of this anime that it still worked pretty well even through the hack job and won fans. But Miyazaki was so ticked off by what was done to his work that he kept Nausicaa out of dubbers' hands for years and vowed never again to relinquish final veto power over any dub of his work. At long last, I'll be able to see this in its entirety and with a good dub. (^_*)
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Calling "Warriors of the Wind" Nausicaa is like calling "Robotech" Macross.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:02 am Reply with quote
T.T I've had Warriors of the Wind for... I dunno, since I was little. Just recently my penpal in Japan sent me a raw copy of Nausicaa, and I watched it ALL, and let me tell you: DIFFERENT. And that's just in the length and scenes. Don't ask me what diolauge they changed, but you can bet that they changed a lot.
setzer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'm so excited about all three of the movies. I've been wanting to see a decent English dub of Nausicaa for the longest time. I cannot wait to add all of them to my Miyazaki/Ghibili collection!!!

P.S. lianncoop: i like your icon
Tiresias

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I've seen both versions, even tough WotW was about 5 years ago for me. I seem to remember the WotW version completely removing the whole "environmental" undercurrent to the movie, which really made it confusing. It was my wife who brought me into that particular movie, and it was OK, but then I found a fansub of the original on the internet, I I introduced her to the real movie.

Needless to say, the original is so much better than the hackjob WotW was, and it actually made sense, especially with the whole poisonous forest thing, a key part of which was completely cut out of WotW, spoiler[that being Nausicaa's secret garden.]

I'm personally looking forward to a DVD release of the full version, and am secretly hoping that Disney will give it a theatrical release a few months prior. This way even more can see the true story as it was meant to be seen, not the way WotW put it out to be.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Calling "Warriors of the Wind" Nausicaa is like calling "Robotech" Macross.

Emerje

That's an insult to Robotech!

I heard something about the cast of the dub last night. Something like Patrick Stewart for Yupa. That would rock if it's true.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Yes. it would rock as I quite like Patrick Stuart
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:09 pm Reply with quote
A think we should all say a big thank you then to Warriors of the Wind, if it is the reason that Miyazaki has been so strict about Disney's handling of his babies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:05 am Reply with quote
Ha. Thanking Warriors of the Wind for ANYTHING would be giving it too much credit. Yeah, Ghibli learned from that mistake, but it's still hardly a worthy cause.

Although I think Disney should still stick June Foray's voice in there somewhere, just for kicks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
A think we should all say a big thank you then to Warriors of the Wind, if it is the reason that Miyazaki has been so strict about Disney's handling of his babies.

That's a very interesting angle I never thought of before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1