• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Super Plastic - Revoltech EVA-01 Test Type

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, what works for the small screen doesn't always translate well to a toy, and this figure looks very cartoony and overwhelmingly bright.
I strongly agree with this. I saw the figurine at a local hobby shop, and the bright and shiny coloring made it look kinda like a bootleg.(but then again, the paint quality doesn't matter when the box says "Evangelion" on it, right? Wink )
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
Nice.

I don't collect toys but this will be fun to look at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quote
Oh man. All I need is another excuse to want to spend money. Anime hyper My Kuroneko-Sama bobblehead is looking lonely. This will be a fun column, though.

Quote:
Not a month goes by where someone doesn't announce a new Asuka statue or some bizarre towel with Rei on it or Shinji branded shrimp chips. (Maybe not that last one.)

As a girl, the chips idea appeals to me the most. Now THERE'S an Eva product I'd want to buy! If only for the novelity of it.

(Although Edward Elric branded shrimp chips make a bit more sense...Anime hyper)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:59 am Reply with quote
To be honest, the appearance of this review caught me off guard. The idea of a toy column never crossed my mind. Anyways, I'll keep checking it out for a while, see how things shape up.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Adam Pawlus wrote:
Not a month goes by where someone doesn't announce a new Asuka statue or some bizarre towel with Rei on it or Shinji branded shrimp chips. (Maybe not that last one.)

As a girl, the chips idea appeals to me the most. Now THERE'S an Eva product I'd want to buy! If only for the novelity of it.

Please don't give Gainax any more merchandising ideas... Wink
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
You can find this and the other Revoltechs for a good ten or so dollars less than that if you know where to look. I haven't paid more than sixteen bucks for one. Of course, as with all toy/entertainment purchases, don't go crazy with the spending no matter how needy you are and you'll be fine.

What I love about Revoltechs is how they're capable of assuming super-dynamic poses that other figures with 39 bajillion points of articulation just aren't capable of. They're seriously unmatched in this respect, as far as I've seen. It's excellent engineering, which you can find in other figures Katsuhisa Yamaguchi has sculpted before this line (only without the trademark revolver joints), my favorites being his Gunbuster, GaoGaiGar with Goldion Hammer, and my personal holy grail - 1998-2000 OVA version Getter-1. I'm also liking the variety we're seeing, with lots of great robot designs that haven't seen a definitive, affordable toy in years (if ever). I'm looking forward to picking up Mazinkaiser, who's actually capable of all his great anime poses, rather than hunting down a $40+ die cast clunker. I'm patiently waiting for King Gainer and Patlabor's Ingram-1 to arrive in the mail, and come March, we'll have Dangaioh. Oh sweet Jesus in heaven, we'll finally have DANGAIOH.

In fact, aside from perhaps the occasional cheap cheap Gundam purchase, these will likely be the only figures I bother to buy at all for a while to come. Anything else just isn't as interesting anymore.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:21 am Reply with quote
Wow it feels like this column came out of left field.....but I am very excited. Basically figurine are the only aspect of collecting that I don't do so I am looking forward to seeing what this hobby is all about.

Ryvius213 wrote:
but then again, the paint quality doesn't matter when the box says "Evangelion" on it, right?

Must say I think that can hold true for several different series, I mean I will buy anything relating to Monster, even if it's of questionable quality.

Can't wait to see next weeks column!
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
Oh crap... I love plastic toys. This column will be the death of me. Welcome aboard!

Luckily for my wallet, yet another Eva toy doesn't do much for me unless it's really unique. Or unless they ever decide to make more stuff with PenPen or Kaworu on it. *sigh* I'm dumb.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I bought the Revoltech MazinKaiser "action figure" and it is the coolest thing I own next to my AMG cellphone charm and my Mahoromatic figure. More Go Nagai goodness is all I need to make my year. Eva? not so much.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been impressed with the Revoltech line. They're small and un-detailed, I don't like how the hip joints move and they break very easily. If I'm going to get an Eva, I'll get a Soul of Chogokin one.
ikari22

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I think this column is coming up quite nicely, I just wish they would also give you like a few options on where to buy the toys they are reviewing.... I hate hunting around the 'net where to buy this things.

Oh yeah..can someone tell me where to buy this online besides E-Bay?
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
ikari22 wrote:
I think this column is coming up quite nicely, I just wish they would also give you like a few options on where to buy the toys they are reviewing.... I hate hunting around the 'net where to buy this things.

Oh yeah..can someone tell me where to buy this online besides E-Bay?

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/
http://www.hlj.com
astroasis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I really like this column. In fact, I'm only disappointed that there isn't more of it! I'd rather see smaller reviews of a few toys than one giant review of one toy. Also... only bi-weekly?! Well, hopefully this column will be a success so there can be more of it!
Antimonitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I liked the column, but I think there was too much repetition of the "it's expensive" and "yet another Evangelion figure and there's lots of Evangelion figures" points. Both of those are points worth mentioning, certainly, but they were excessively belabored, IMO (especially the "there's lots of EVA stuff already" bit).

I also would have liked to see a bit more specifics about the toy (I own the figure myself, but trying to come from the perspective of someone who doesn't). For example...

- What size is it? "Small", after all, is a relative term and some measurements would have been nice. The pictures are very good, but there's no frame-of-reference to get an idea of the Revoltech toy's size. Also, it's mentioned that these are 'smaller' than the original Kaiyodo figures. For someone who doesn't know how large the original Kaiyodo toys were (my situation) and how large the Revoltech versions are, it's difficult to mentally imagine that comparison.

- What is the range of motion on the joints? The Revoltech joints aren't standard ball joints; the ones with the greatest clearance have a 90 degree pivot to each side plus 360 degree swivels above and below the joint (except the hips, which are different, and the ankles, which have restrictions).

- A little more information about the accessories. For instance, the umbilical cable has an internal wire that allows it to flex and hold positions; it can be used as a brace to cheat with certain poses. Maybe also a little information about what the individual accessories are (eg - I don't remember seeing that sword in the anime, where's that from?), especially for those with little to no Evangelion knowledge.

That aside, I liked the mention of difficulty switching off hands (mine has that problem too) and agree that the colour choice definitely isn't for everyone. The pictures were also very nice and showed off the detail on the figure quite well. The only comment I'd make there is that the review mentions the toy can take on "a variety of action-oriented poses", but there's really only one shown.

Apologies for sounding overly-critical; this was a great start and I look forward to reading more in the future.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
astroasis wrote:
I really like this column. In fact, I'm only disappointed that there isn't more of it! I'd rather see smaller reviews of a few toys than one giant review of one toy. Also... only bi-weekly?! Well, hopefully this column will be a success so there can be more of it!

We're considering a host of options for the column; it's bi-weekly, though, not due to popularity, but that's simply how the publishing schedule works out. Currently this column is published on Tuesdays when Right Turn Only!! isn't.
Erufu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
astroasis wrote:

I agree on this one. Since there are so many figures that come out, a few reviews in each column would be great. Other than that, I'm totally psyched about this! It's really hard to find a web site that reviews anime figures from a nonbiased point of view or one that doesn't use words only hardcore collectors use (when people talk about the manufacturer, I have no idea who these people are or why I don't want to buy them). I can't wait for the next one!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2