• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop and Gentosha Release Gravitaion EX Simultaneously Worldwide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Now, if only the series being released simultaneously was actually good Razz

(I haven't actually read any of Gravitation EX but everything I've heard about it has made me cringe...which isn't surprising since I found the end of the original Gravitation manga to be rather weak compared to the earlier material).
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I agree with marie-antoinette. I stopped reading the original after volume 10 because it was just repeating the pervious storyline, except in New York (I know, just two more volumes to go, but it is really testing my patience). I REALLY LOOOOVE the anime though, and I really wish that the manga was as good. BTW, I saw Gravi EX on sale at the manga shop nearby...I might have picked it up just to be like "aha ha, I got it a few days early!' (since I am insane like that...).

ANN, thnaks for clearing up that the online serealization was the same as Ex, since I was a bit confused (although when I looked inside it at the store, I noticed that the opening pic was the same as the online serialization, but still, thanks!!).
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to pick this up. I loved this seris and I wanted more. Maybe if its succesful we'll see another seris perhaps...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Bara_Megami wrote:
I REALLY LOOOOVE the anime though, and I really wish that the manga was as good.

I actually prefer the early manga to the anime, because the characterization in the manga is better (as in characters other than Shuichi and Yuki get development). However, as far as overall plot goes, I definitely have to give the prize to the anime, it kept things nice and sweet. Also, Murakami has a tendency to downplay serious events, like spoiler[Shuichi's rape].

The anime also has the advantage of music, although a few episodes in and I never want to hear the Rage Beat again.
seichan80

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Does that mean they used the web translations and not Tokyopop's over-edited, americanized, cringe-worthy rendition????

If yes, then I'll buy.
lordnorton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
wow... I liked the manga better than the anime. The anime is WONDERFUL! and the manga is AMAZING!!! I loved the ending, how Shuichi goes with Eiri at the end, it's sweet (even though it did leave me wanting more) (though, that's why this is coming out : ) ). The anime ending was very good, though : ) because shuichi FINALLY said the famous three words Smile) : ) : ) . ahem. I wonder if they'll make a second anime or a second season or something based off of Ex. that'd be pretty cool. I'm surprised that it took this long for the second series to come out. I mean, the remixes date back to 97 or so ... when did volume 12 of the manga originally come out in Japan?? w/e but, i think it's pretty cool that it's coming out in Japan, America and whereever else at the same time! That's so cool!! then, nothing with really spoil it! No wikipedia articles about the ending or whatever, heh. : ))) : ))) I'm REALLY happy!!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Interesting. Now, if only the series being released simultaneously was actually good Razz

(I haven't actually read any of Gravitation EX but everything I've heard about it has made me cringe...which isn't surprising since I found the end of the original Gravitation manga to be rather weak compared to the earlier material).

I tore thru it Saturday when I got it & laughed several times. It's not supposed to change the world. If you want angst & all that stuff, there are plenty of other yaoi & BL titles out there to read. Tohma's as evil as ever & Ryuichi's evil streak is still rearing it's ugly head. Riku is so incredibly cute, making Eiri's treatment of him all the worse.

Downplaying serious events? Different people relate to things in different ways. As Eiri comments by Yuki's grave, "Ah, yes. For you , Shuichi, to be serious would be disrespectful." Pretty much all of my daughter's friends freak out when she tells them what's in the brass box in her room (her father's ashes)
Kiriska

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quote
An interesting "first"... wouldn't have expected Gravi to be the one to make that mark in history. But yeah... on the title itself, as a longtime fan of the original series, both anime and manga, I found the sequel rather disappointing. :/ And I ranted about it here, if you care that much about my opinion.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Downplaying serious events? Different people relate to things in different ways.

If the events of Gravitation would real, I don't think most would find it acceptable that Murakami, in her sidebar, goes something along the lines of spoiler[So Shuichi was raped...LOOK NORIKO HAS A NEW HAIR STYLE YAY!]. The anime tends to treat serious matters as serious matters.

Also, good rant Kiriska. It pretty much falls in line with everything else I've heard about this series, from one of my friends who has been following the Japanese release (or was following it...I think she may have stopped in disgust eventually).
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote
Kiriska wrote:
And I ranted about it here, if you care that much about my opinion.

Wow, when I was reading Ex, I was trying to figure out why I only kind of liked it rather than loved it, and I just couldn't put my finger on it. But after reading your review, I now know why. I totally agree with you on everything. Thanks for helping clear the cobwebs out of my head!
kolibri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:25 am Reply with quote
Bara_Megami wrote:
I agree with marie-antoinette. I stopped reading the original after volume 10 because it was just repeating the previous storyline, except in New York (I know, just two more volumes to go, but it is really testing my patience).

Heh, that's more than I managed to get through. I read the first six volumes and I tried to love the series, I really did. But it was just... beyond stupid (my rant on the subject is here Wink). I never could understand why this series has such a cult following.

But hey, it's nothing off my plate if Gravitation rocks your boat. I think it's good that Tokyopop has released this, I would absolutely hate it if I couldn't get the sequel to my favourite series.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
Yes, different people handle horrible events differently. I woke up 6 yrs ago (1/30/2001) & found my husband of 20 yrs dead. No warning. Massive heart attack. I don't think I cried all that day. Within an hour of the body being removed, I'd made all the phonecalls I could thihk of needing to make-his job, my job, etc. I don't think I went of autopilot & really cried until after I left the viewing. Everyone was amazed at how well I was functioning. I asked my daughter ifd she wanted to keep his ashes in her room & yes, it helped her sleep. She doesn't even notice until a friend asks what's in the box. And all my co-workers think it's not right for the ashes to be there, but hey, she's his daughter. So his ashes are in there as she's doing her yaoi roleplaying on her computer.

And what I get most out of Kiriska's review is she is a big Ryuichi fan horrified at the turn of events, but it makes total sense. We knew Tohma was evil after what he did to the lead singer of Ask. And anyone could tell Ryuichi had more going on. If he were the simple creature presented, then like Shuichi, he would have been content to make music. That he sought a movie career & that he pushed Shuichi to excel showed a bit more of a machevelian nature than a pop star & his bunny.

It was so cool when K off-handedly commented he saw Ryuichi's feelings for Shuichi coming. I love K. He's always been the dutiful manager (in his way). And I never liked Reiji, so I never bothered to notice whether she's in character or not. In a way, Ryuichi is Shuichi's Tohma. Eiri doesn't treat Shuichi right. Look what Tohma does to those who treat Eiri wrong. I never got the feel he really loved his wife all that much. He couldn't marry Eiri, so as a company executive, he married a woman & produced an heir. Obligation over. It's the best of both worlds for the 2 of them to team up & pull strings. The biggest change is how the rest of the band is willing to sit back & allow Shuichi's personal life sell cds instead of the music.
Kiriska

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't deny that I'm a big Ryuichi fan horrified at the turn of events, but I would disagree that said turn of events make total sense.

None of the characters are that one-dimensional; they've had twelve long volumes to develop into very complex, multi-faceted personalities. Tohma is not simply "evil". From the incidient with Tachi, we knew that he was incredibly overprotective of Eiri, but that doesn't make him evil. Although Murakami persistently hinted towards an Eiri/Tohma relationship, I always felt like it was more play than anything serious. Yes, he loves Eiri. In a sexual way? Maybe, maybe not. But even if this were true, it seems to me as if Tohma gave up on persuing that seriously a long time ago. He knows that Eiri doesn't feel that way about him; if he really loves Eiri, why would he force his affections? He wouldn't do that to him.

Does Tohma love Mika? I can agree that maybe at first, he didn't really care for her and might have married her just to get closer to Eiri. But clearly he doesn't dislike her or think lowly of her. I think the hospital scene in volume 11 or 12 (I forget) proved a lot of things about Tohma's character. He does care deeply for all of his family, but loses sight of everyone else sometimes. Regardless of his feelings initially, I think he has grown to care a lot for Mika than he actually shows. And as a father now (or still soon-to-be?), I feel like it would make a lot more sense for him to be taking care of Mika than Eiri, especially with what he himself said about Eiri not needing him anymore.

Of course Ryuichi is a lot more complicated than he lets on and I wouldn't disagree that he does care for Shuichi a lot, but romantically? It still seems like a random, fanpairing to me. The initial reason Ryuichi was interested in Shuichi was because he reminded him of himself and the reason he wanted so badly for Shuichi to succeed/defeat him probably stemmed off of that. Also, it is not an uncommon theme for a well-established mentor to want someone to eventually surpass him, so Ryuichi's motivations for pushing Shuichi to the top aren't really surprising at all. Having succeeded in finding a successor to his legacy, it makes perfect sense for him to go off to America again to find a new career (but not for him to completely blow off said new career to pursue Shuichi).

As for the rest of the band -- that topic has already been covered already, which is another reason it sort of annoyed me that the new focus of the series seems to be solely on Shuichi and Eiri's relationship. The scandal in previous volumes already made it perfectly clear how Hiro felt about having that sell their albums rather than the music. But now he's okay with it? And for some reason, he isn't worried about Shuichi's mental and emotional wellbeing throughout all of this? I don't know. It just feels out of whack to me.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Hiro was going to quit music before & only stuck it out because of Shuichi, right? And heaven knows in real life it's all about celebrity talent. We all care more about Britney Spears' music than her personal live the tabloids spatter all over. Anna Nichol Smith had real talent, she wasn't just something the entertainment publicity machine kept going.

What's-his-name(the keyboardist) never was really more than a studio musician. It's common knowledge bands often are somewhat lacking in actual skill & studios keep a number of real musicians available to pad out weak performances in the studio-backup singers, etc. His landing in Bad Luck before it took off is not unlike The Beatles replacing Pete Best wiith Ringo Starr just before they made it big. Sucks for Best, but Starr knew to keep his mouth shut & appreciate his position. Bad Luck's keyboardist can shut up & go along for the ride, making some money out of it & when Bad Luck splits up (like all bands do eventually) or does the usual solo projects, he can satisfy his musical tastes.

Why WOULDN'T the love life of one of the hottest romance novelists & an up & coming band's lead singer become the same tabloid fodder? Particularly a same-sex relationship. Because we all know after Ellen DeGeneres came out people still cared more about her comedy than her girlfriend.

I always got the feeling Tohma wanted Eiri, whether it was misplaced paternal feelings or what. I always felt if Eiri said the word, Tohma would leave everything. Loses sight of everything else? When your wife's in the hospital? And I think Mika knows, but she either loves Tohma, or loves her position as his wife. Love isn't everything & in a society like Japan where arranged marriages still apparently occur scoring a powerful executive like Tohma isn't all that bad, particularly if they have one of those arrangements where both can have whatever lovers they want on the side as long as it stays quiet.

I didn't really think Ryuichi was gay, but I don't recall any talk about him & girls up to now & in the entertainment world, that's usually code for gay. Any guy who isn't photographed with a hot chick on his arm out on the town once in awhile probably has a boyfriend. You've never heard the story about Mick Jagger telling Bianca he wanted to have sex with her because she sort of resembled him & a lot of guys have that sort of weird secret desire? I found it strange Ryuichi was always there to point Shuichi in the right direction. And it's not like a guy can go up to another guy & say "I love you", particularly an entertainer who could have his career blown for something like that. He may have held back until he was sure Shuichi swung that way, or until he got a grip on the relationship-solid, or can he steal Shuichi away?? He may not have even particularly felt that way until seeing how Eiri treated Shuichi who is so much like himself, Shuichi obviously deserves better.

Realistically there are few true nice guys in the entertainment field. It's a place of luck & backstabbing & nice guys get trampled. Ryuichi not only made it big in Japan-a much smaller pool, but apparently is holding his own in Hollywood (or New York) where talent is a dime a dozen & the last hot new act is lucky to last a year before Hollywood goes off in search of the next hot new talent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1