• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Madlax

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
This was another outstanding complex anime from Bee Train, from the same makers of Noir and .Hack//Sign, ok, I first saw this 2 years ago when I bought the first dvd at Wal-mart, and I loved it.

and I have to say, this was another outstanding mystery/Complex anime about war,basically it tells the story of 2 unrelated female characters who live in 2 different lives, a Mercenary female assasian named Madlax who lives in the country of Gazath-Sonica, and a Normal girl named Margaret Burton living a normal rich life,and later on we find out that they are somehow truely connected to each other.

once again, Yuki Kajiura does an amazing job composing the soundtrack to this anime, my personal fav insert song is Nowhere, and I loved the Coversations with the SSS bonuses on the Madlax Dvds by ADV Films, they were halariouse, one of my personal fav moments in one of the Conversations with the SSS bonuses was the reference to Gilmore Girls
Laughing
who else has seen this anime?
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I've seen two episodes of Madlax so far and enjoyed the show. However, I have too much on my wish list at the moment, and, therefore, cannot buy it just yet. Even after two episodes, I was still drawn to the stories of these two unrelated yet likable girls and the worlds they live in. I'm a fan of Koichi Mashimo's directing style, Yuki Kajiura's soundtracks, and as always the character design of Satoshi Ohsawa.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Madlax. After watching Noir I was really anticipating this series in hopes it would be anywhere near as good as Madlax. While I personally liked Noir better I did enjoy Madlax greatly. The interactions between the characters was one of the driving points just as in Noir. The mystery element was also carried out nicely. Don't wanna give anything away so I'll leave it at that for now.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I have, but it was only all right for me. It was an interesting thing to watch, a bit slow at times in the early going, and the way the two were related was creative. The character interactions were good, and drove the plot forward as it should. The distinct problem I had with it is that Bee Train was so focused on crafting mysteries and additional plot points that they forgot about the ending. IMO, the last two episodes felt rather rushed, and had a bit of a deus ex machina tint to them. That, and the fact that Madlax is seemingly impervious to injury spoiler[by Margaret's hands, but given the relationship between them, it could be reasoned that since Madlax was Margaret's creation, Margaret alone could hurt Madlax]; however, there are quite a few lead characters from other series that manage to avoid any harm altogether.

As for the "Conversations with SSS:" I far prefer honest, spur-of-the-moment flubs instead of prepared dialogue. Some of them made me chuckle, some were outright hilarious, but quite a few of them tried to hard to be funny, and killed the joke.

On a side note, I absolutely loved the OP, "Hitomi no Kakera;" it just matched the tone of the show perfectly. Also thought the forced perspective visuals for the ED were well done as well.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
IThe distinct problem I had with it is that Bee Train was so focused on crafting mysteries and additional plot points that they forgot about the ending. IMO, the last two episodes felt rather rushed, and had a bit of a deus ex machina tint to them.

They were a tad confusing and maybe the last episode could have used a few extra minutes, but it didn't really feel rushed to me.

Quote:
That, and the fact that Madlax is seemingly impervious to injury spoiler[by Margaret's hands, but given the relationship between them, it could be reasoned that since Madlax was Margaret's creation, Margaret alone could hurt Madlax]; however, there are quite a few lead characters from other series that manage to avoid any harm altogether.

I don't see what lead characters from other series have to do with anything. There is a good reason why Madlax is basically invincible. spoiler[She was born from a gunshot and obtained that invincibility from the books. She is a spirit of the battlefield of sorts and I believe she even said something like that. As you said, Margaret is the only one who can hurt her because of their relationship. If you watch episode 23 (I believe) when she takes out the soldiers and tanks before she fights Limelda, you can actually see bullets go through her without harming her. Limelda is incapable of hitting her even at point blank.] That doesn't seem like a deus ex machina to me. The mystic elements were there since episode 4 and it is perfectly within the realms of believablity for the series.
EVA fiend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I shied away from this series for the longest time as I had heard many fans bemoaning the fact that this series was simply a re-hash of Bee Train's previous work Noir.

I have since watched this series twice now. The first time I watched it, I didn't find the series as engaging (character-wise) as it's more popular stablemate Noir; on second viewing however, I found that the more coherant plot, coupled with my increased interest in the characters made the whole series a lot more enjoyable second time around.

A lot of people have said that Madlax is merely a re-hash/clone of Noir, but due to the spoiler[inclusion of the fantasical/magic element of the Three Books, & the fact that Madlax herself is 1/3 of the persona known as the original Margaret Burton, created due to the magic of the books,] I feel that the series deserves to be judged on it's own merits.

On the whole, I enjoyed Madlax as much as I enjoyed Noir; the 'girls with guns' genre is one of my favourites, & series of that genre that actually stretch your mind aren't as common as I'd like, e.g., compare with Najica Blitz Tactics (panty shots galore) & Burst Angel (non-existant character development & less-than-satisfying ending).

On a side note, I've read numerous sources online that both these series are part of a 'girls with guns' trilogy that the director has been playing with; anyone any idea if/when the 3rd series by Bee Train is gonna be released? Confused

HitokiriShadow wrote:
NGE1113 wrote:
IThe distinct problem I had with it is that Bee Train was so focused on crafting mysteries and additional plot points that they forgot about the ending. IMO, the last two episodes felt rather rushed, and had a bit of a deus ex machina tint to them.

They were a tad confusing and maybe the last episode could have used a few extra minutes, but it didn't really feel rushed to me.

My only quibble with the ending was spoiler[how the characters parted ways - they acknowleged each other's right to existance, & that was it! They should have at least acknowledged each other as 'sisters' if nothing else.] But that's a minor quibble if anything.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I should give the series more of a chance before I judge it, but after watching the first two episodes I had pretty much zero incentive to continue.

The first episode felt like one of those old action movies that made no sense just for the sake of making no sense. Sure there was a lot of action and a good looking gun-wielding heroine, but I had absolutely no clue what was going on the whole time and therefore midway through the episode I began finding more enjoyment building little towers out of the markers I had out in front me than paying attention to the nonsensical nonsense playing in front of me. To this day, when I think of Madlax, I think of a moving jeep and random gunshots fired for apparently no good reason (had to do with some data disk IIRO; original, I know).

Second episode was like the complete opposite but not in a good way. It made no sense but it was like one of those actionless plot-heavy preachy philosphical cynical life view in some big dark mansion along with typical token items such as the evil doll and the treasure box, and of course a neurotic little girl. Felt like it was convoluted and made no sense just for the sake of being convoluted and making no sense. Of course, because it made no sense it was boring and I once again turned to my oh-so-fun marker tower building.

So after enduring all this I thought: If the rest of the series is just going to be those two scenarios meshed together, then why even bother?

I liked the soundtrack though, and that's about it.
sushifunk373

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Perhaps I should give the series more of a chance before I judge it, but after watching the first two episodes I had pretty much zero incentive to continue.

The first episode felt like one of those old action movies that made no sense just for the sake of making no sense. Sure there was a lot of action and a good looking gun-wielding heroine, but I had absolutely no clue what was going on the whole time and therefore midway through the episode I began finding more enjoyment building little towers out of the markers I had out in front me than paying attention to the nonsensical nonsense playing in front of me. To this day, when I think of Madlax, I think of a moving jeep and random gunshots fired for apparently no good reason (had to do with some data disk IIRO; original, I know).

Second episode was like the complete opposite but not in a good way. It made no sense but it was like one of those actionless plot-heavy preachy philosphical cynical life view in some big dark mansion along with typical token items such as the evil doll and the treasure box, and of course a neurotic little girl. Felt like it was convoluted and made no sense just for the sake of being convoluted and making no sense. Of course, because it made no sense it was boring and I once again turned to my oh-so-fun marker tower building.

So after enduring all this I thought: If the rest of the series is just going to be those two scenarios meshed together, then why even bother?

I know what you mean about the first episode. BUT....after watching up to volume 3 it became one of my all time favorite series. i will admit when i first started watching it i was confused and alittle frustrated. They dont do a very good job kicking the series off at all but once you get later into it it becomes addicting. its one of those series that really makes you think, and its one of my all time favorites =) so give it a try.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
sushifunk373 wrote:
frentymon wrote:

I know what you mean about the first episode. BUT....after watching up to volume 3 it became one of my all time favorite series. i will admit when i first started watching it i was confused and alittle frustrated. They don't do a very good job kicking the series off at all but once you get later into it it becomes addicting. its one of those series that really makes you think, and its one of my all time favorites =) so give it a try.

True, and like I said,Madlax is another oone of those outstanding animes which is required to watch at least twice or 3 times to understand the story, it really helps to watch both the Dub and the Sub.

For example, at first I did'nt like .Hack//Sign,but once I kept watching it more, it really started to kick off.

Animes like this take awhole for the interesting plot twists to unravel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1