• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New York ComicCon 2007 - Viz Media - Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh, good, finally. Glad that they're actually releasing it with dubs and subs on the disc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I like the plans for Naruto. The first movie is being released right on time, though I'm uncertain as to what the OVA is...

I thought it could be this at first, but that's too short... but the following OVA is reported as 40 minutes on ANN. Is Viz skipping the first one? Are they combining the two? If so, did they just state an incorrect running time or are they cutting stuff? Hmmm...

What I really want is the uncut box sets to be released at a quicker pace, however. Razz
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Where is Zoids Genesis on Jetstream!?
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Not anything really exciting but I'll be looking forward to all the Naruto stuff (OVA, movie, and third uncut box set), Prince of Tennis box sets, and eventually, Death Note.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It will contain both subtitled and English dubbed tracks. Plans for deluxe packaging are in the works, but nothing has been confirmed

Best news I've heard about Death note, other then having to wait until quarter 4, but i am glad that it's confirmed that both tracks are on the DVD. A lot of folks got scared after hearing about the online downloads, fearing that a sub track might not be available on the DVDs. I am also very pleased to hear that there might be an artbox or something to that effect.
Sweetmusic_01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
MÄR, which has a DVD release date of June 12. It will air on Cartoon Network this fall, alongside Prince of Tennis.

I'm confused so what am I watching now is a different series.

Though I have to say I'm disappointed in the lack of information on Death Note. Hopefully as the con season gets in full swing there will be more information.

I agree with Josh7289, that wait for the Naruto uncut box sets is quite a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rªdì¢âl_£Ð

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Quote:
It will contain both subtitled and English dubbed tracks. Plans for deluxe packaging are in the works, but nothing has been confirmed

Best news I've heard about Death note, other then having to wait until quarter 4, but i am glad that it's confirmed that both tracks are on the DVD. A lot of folks got scared after hearing about the online downloads, fearing that a sub track might not be available on the DVDs. I am also very pleased to hear that there might be an artbox or something to that effect.

Well, that fear was unfounded to begin with. (to me anyways) Multi-audio DVDs have always been the norm ever since DVDs were introduced into the anime market. That is, of course, with the exception of those not marketed towards the fan base and instead towards children. For example, every 4Kids DVD release and the edited version of Naruto.

There is absolutely no reason for Viz to release a dub-only DVD, especially for a title like Death Note. Doing so would have negatively impacted the release of Death Note and damaged Viz's reputation. It probably would have ended with Viz going back on their decision and providing a DVD with both English and Japanese audio tracks.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Zatch Bell on Toonami Jetstream? It's about time! There's lots more series that need to get on Toonami Jetstream, and the sooner the better. It's too bad there hasn't been an indication of Zatch Bell uncut. And what happened to the movie?
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Good news all around, but like ryusaki I'm a bit irked about Viz seeming to forget about Zoids Genesis. :/
bci110

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Interesting...no mention by VIZ about acquiring Honey & Clover and Ichigo 100% for an R1 release, as I heard on the AoD forum a month ago. I wonder, did anyone even asked VIZ about those titles? Confused

Nice to know that MaR will have a release date finally.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:21 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

What I really want is the uncut box sets to be released at a quicker pace, however. Razz

Same here I wish Viz gave some details about box set 3. It would be nice if they realesed box set 3 at the same time of the movie and OAV.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Box Set 3 is May 29, and the OVA is May 22. The prices for the box set are the same as the previous ones, for both regular and special editions. Amazon reports the running time to be 325 minutes, so that's 13 episodes. The OVA is going to be really cheap - Right Stuf and Amazon are accepting pre-orders for around $10 (retail is higher, but who would pay retail, anyway?). Wikipedia also says the OVA Viz is releasing is the second one, that is 40 minutes long.

And ANN has already reported the movie will be released in September. Smile

Five months between releases is a bit crazy, though, especially considering the dub-only DVD releases are getting farther and farther ahead of the uncut releases. It really should be three months, at least. Two months to two-and-a-half months would be ideal, I think. Smile
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Five months between releases is a bit crazy, though, especially considering the dub-only DVD releases are getting farther and farther ahead of the uncut releases. It really should be three months, at least. Two months to two-and-a-half months would be ideal, I think. Smile

Yeah 5 months is along time to wait they should do it every 2 or 3 months or something like that. I can understand the Inuyasha box sets coming out once a year but those are 5 discs and they have uncut singles you can buy if you wanted too. Do you happen to know which headband will come in the special edition? I am guessing the sound one but I could be wrong. I still think it would have made more sense to include the mist headband in box set 2 and the sand headband in box set 3.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

Yeah 5 months is along time to wait they should do it every 2 or 3 months or something like that. I can understand the Inuyasha box sets coming out once a year but those are 5 discs and they have uncut singles you can buy if you wanted too. Do you happen to know which headband will come in the special edition? I am guessing the sound one but I could be wrong. I still think it would have made more sense to include the mist headband in box set 2 and the sand headband in box set 3.

The speed of the box sets hasn't really bothered me. Sure it would be nice to see them quicker but it's about the same speed as getting a single every other month. So, we're getting it at about the same rate as Bleach and paying less. Not too bad if you ask me.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Bleach is just as bad, but I'm holding out hope that they will speed it up or double up on releases like they did for Inu Yasha at some point. Really, series this long need to get released more quickly. They could release 4 Naruto sets a year and still never catch up to the U.S. TV run, let alone the Japanese DVDs. Bleach has less of a head start so I can see them going at the current pace for a little while, but I really hope they pick up the pace at some point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2