• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New York ComicCon 2007 - ADV Films

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Were there any questions or comments about ADV's slightly moribund manga line? Also, given comments on co-productions, should we start anticipating a new one? (Or maybe an entirely or mostly ADV funded series?)

What was the preview for Keroro Gunso like?

Sounds like Toei just can't seem to make anything work lately.
protomanblues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I think the vl 2 box option is an awesome move. I hope other companies follow.
starcade

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't sound like they're making many moves to retain 2nd in the market share.

I reiterate my prediction that ADV might be on the way out in a couple years. They have to see where the anime business is going and actually become a _player_ again, and it sounded like Viz was making all the moves while ADV was, _again_, standing pat.

Anime Network is NOT going to keep this place afloat, guys.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Were there any questions or comments about ADV's slightly moribund manga line? Also, given comments on co-productions, should we start anticipating a new one? (Or maybe an entirely or mostly ADV funded series?)

What was the preview for Keroro Gunso like?

Sounds like Toei just can't seem to make anything work lately.

I think people have basically stopped asking about all the series that were put out to pasture years ago.

They're still publishing about 30 books a year, and I think that's all that's safe to expect from them now.

The preview for Sgt. Frog was just the first episode, subtitled.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I think people have basically stopped asking about all the series that were put out to pasture years ago.

They're still publishing about 30 books a year, and I think that's all that's safe to expect from them now.

The preview for Sgt. Frog was just the first episode, subtitled.
I guess I just can't let go of the tiny shred of hope I have that they'll restart some of those series. Maybe a bit of masochism on my part but I keep hoping for word. Heard that they were actually soliciting the second volume of Maburaho at one point but no idea if that turned out to be anything or not. Still can't figure out why they won't release the rest of Gunslinger Girl. There's certainly a demand for it here on ANN.

I guess I'm just wasting my time. Neutral

Too bad the preview for Sgt. Frog was just subtitled. I've never watched any of the series so quality of dub will pretty much determine if I try it at all. Guess I'll have to wait for a Newtype preview disc to find out.

I'm a dub-lover, though I will watch subs if that's the only way to see the show. (I've watched a few fansubs but it's not like I prefer them. Fansubs = Extended Previews in my mind.)

For me, the dub is the key selling point of an anime released domestically. If it's a bastardization like with One Piece or just really watered down, I can't buy the official DVD. I doubt ADV will screw themselves on a show that probably cost a small fortune to license, but I still want to hear something about the quality of the dub before I start buying a series that's so not my usual taste.

Saw a trailer and it looked. . . different to say the least.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Is it that many? That seems high. I didn't think they even put 15 out last year.

They finished Chrono Crusade, rand eleased Line, Anne Freaks, and Evangelion Angelic Days. Combined, thats about 8 books. Are they still releasing Cromartie High School? Maybe 4 more from that if they released it quarterly and consistantly. I guess they had an Angel/Dust Neo book too. Altogether that's 13. Did I miss anything from them?

Yotsuba& was supposedly a big seller for them and we haven't seen anything new from that in over a year. At this point, it seems that Evangelion and maybe Cromartie are the only series actually being released. As far as I can tell, their manga division is pretty much dead.
Roguespider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:18 am Reply with quote
protomanblues wrote:
I think the vl 2 box option is an awesome move. I hope other companies follow.

I agree that I like this option but its also something that isn't brand new. ADV has been doing this for a couple of months ago and was even mentioned at Otakon last year.

I'm also surprised a question about Live-Action Eva didn't manage to pop up at all, especially with new movies coming out.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:28 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Zac wrote:

Is it that many? That seems high. I didn't think they even put 15 out last year.

They finished Chrono Crusade, rand eleased Line, Anne Freaks, and Evangelion Angelic Days. Combined, thats about 8 books. Are they still releasing Cromartie High School? Maybe 4 more from that if they released it quarterly and consistantly. I guess they had an Angel/Dust Neo book too. Altogether that's 13. Did I miss anything from them?
They've got the first two books of A Little Snow Fairy: Sugar released, though I think Vol. 2 was a 2007 release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1