• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Les Misérables - Shoujo Cosette

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:12 am Reply with quote
If you don't know this story is based on a famous novel by Victor Hugo, and it's also part of the World Masterpiece Theater.

As always I am going to note that this contains spoiler through episode one, it's basically a summary so it won't be in spoiler tags.

I like the opening theme song with it's soft opening, but then again I am sucker for soft pieces. One thing that did bug me from the start was that all the characters appear to normal looking other then the children who have a distinct Moe feel to them. I felt that the backgrounds were very nice and had a certain temperture that could be related to.

And so the story begins Cosette being left in the care of inn owners', the story reminds me of an another classic story Cinderella. With a child left in the care of people with less then great attentions, without the wicked sisters it would seem.

What a hard breaking scene where the Mother leaves her daughter becauses she feels it best for Cosette to grow up with inn keepers, while mother tries to find work. It's just so heartbreaking to watch as Cosette cry as mom just keeps walking away.

But unlike Cinderella we get to see the path of the mother, and how her story unfolds. I am certain there more to this story, we just haven't peel any layers away yet.

As for the ED, I like the violin in the background but the vocals just don't do it for me for some weird reason, I am interested to see what episode two is like.

Although I have mix feeling for this series I am probably going to keep with it for a few episodes to see how things turn out.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
I am interesting in seeing this. From what you have written I assume it follows the novel, right Question
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
I am interesting in seeing this. From what you have written I assume it follows the novel, right Question

If you have seen Gankutsuou then you'll kind of understand how the anime related to the story. While the main characters are in place, there are still some difference in how each character either has been introduced or hasn't been introduced. I am still looking forward to seeing how this unfolds, since each character certainly has a lot more to them then what we see at first.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
If you have seen Gankutsuou then you'll kind of understand how the anime related to the story. While the main characters are in place, there are still some difference in how each character either has been introduced or hasn't been introduced. I am still looking forward to seeing how this unfolds, since each character certainly has a lot more to them then what we see at first.

well
I have read Les Misérables Smile and I want to ask if there had been big changes, like in Gankutsuou where the action took place in the future, instead of XIX century, whether anime is shown from Jean Valjean or Marius perspective like in the novel or someone else.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
Didn't know this one was coming out already. (Thought it was supposed to be a spring release.)

Will have to hunt it down now, as I'm a big Les Miz fan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I never even knew it was coming out until I saw clips of it in my anime club Rolling Eyes

Am I the only one who thinks it's hilarious that the only part of the name that's in Japanese is the "shoujo Cosette" part? I'd assume that no matter how classic les miserables is, it couldn't be a super well known story in Japan. I wonder how many people just saw the title and read "gobbledygook - shoujo Cosette" and have started watching the show having no idea where the story was going. Laughing I don't think many Japanese know French, so I'd bet that most of them have no idea what that first part says.

Also, kudos to the animators for actually having French writing on signs. There's not much worse than seeing something that is supposed to take place in feudal Europe and seeing Japanese writing everywhere. It's hard to tell from the first episode, but this looks to be a rather middle road anime; not great, but I'll be following it for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote
Would you recommend it to someone that hasn't read the original novel before? I have a big interest in lit-related anime, but I try not to watch too many series in fansubs because I feel obligated to buy them if/when they come to the states. ^^;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
<After>

Hmmm, well, I'm interested to see how this one is going to play out. So far it feels much too cheery and cutesy (especially the musical score), and the Next Episode part suggests that isn't going to change soon. Les Miserables is such a dark and gritty story that the tone is incongruous so far. And does anyone else find the design and voice for Fantine to be all wrong? (The Threnardiers, by comparison, are about what you'd expect for an animated version of the conniving innkeepers.)

Evaluated seperately from its source material, the first episode plays out reasonably well, if a bit slow, with a couple of scenes suggesting that things may not go so good. It's much too early to tell how much of the original story the series is going to capture, so it's hard to make a judgment call yet on whether or not a Les Miz newbie is going to like it. If you are a newbie, just be aware that things are supposed to go really, really bad for most everyone at some point or another.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wizard55

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode and enjoyed it. It was very cute and sad in some parts and I like Jean Valjean so far. I never read the book but saw one of the movies made and liked that. I can't wait to check out episode 2 and on later.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
wizard55 wrote:
I watched the first episode and enjoyed it. It was very cute and sad in some parts and I like Jean Valjean so far. I never read the book but saw one of the movies made and liked that. I can't wait to check out episode 2 and on later.

I haven't read the book either, but I have seen the movie starring Liam Neeson and I loved it. I downloaded a fansub of Shoujo Cosette the other day, but I haven't found time to watch it yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1