• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-03-02]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That said, with few exceptions, most bands don't seem to notice or care about AMVs, and the Japanese don't seem to care much either, so generally they're left alone.
Some bands do care about AMVs, but only because some moron who DLed some videos from "The Org" wrote to the record label asking for more information about the anime videos he thought that the band had made. Judging from the flurry of forum activity that followed, it seemed that the label had to enforce their copyrights under "due dilligence" and request the removal of their their bands' music (and accompanying videos) from the site. Needless to say, all videos on that site now have a disclaimer saying "This video is purely fanmade and has no connection to any anime company, record label, or musical artist."

I've seen some pretty lousy AMVs, ones that make me think, "Couldn't you at least have used downloaded DVD-rips instead of fansubs to avoid having subtitles?" But then there are others, like Evangelion Opus (YouTube Link) or Pop-Up Excel or Euphoria where I think, "I could never match the time, creativity, or skill that went into making that."

Flake: How come the "renowned fansubbers'" name isn't removed from that press release, yet a certain group called ANBU that stopped subbing back at 122 when it got licensed gets the wordfilter treatment? Actually, I bet DB isn't exactly thrilled about their episodes being hosted anywhere that won't boost their beloved download numbers / boasting point Rolling Eyes They've been known to DDoS torrent sites that host their files without permission as well, maybe in defense of that illusory "fan copyright" that the ranter speaks about?

Speaking of the rant, I see where "Greg" is coming from, but I'm guessing that he's never heard of "honor among thieves" (meaning "You can't steal this from me because I rightfully stole it first"), nor has he ever put work into creating an AMV or a fansub. Unless he has, I can't fully agree with him. Besides, this video explains "Fan Copyright Infringement" pretty well at 1:47.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
Two examples are one time I was at my friends house and I brought over a new Case Closed dvd to watch, well his other friend was over and he would not shut the F**K up. The whole time it was on he was saying "omg why is there a kid solving mysteries? Those monk's look like monkey's. This artwork sucks. omg noway, lol, haha, that sucked. The mist goblin? what a stupid name.".

Have you seen this thread?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
The ranter used the word "sacrosanct". Somebody send them a prize.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
or there's "nothing wrong" with making costumes of copyrighted characters

...Wait, what? Okay, I'm not gonna disagree with the AMV thing since it's copyrighted video and copyrighted music but... This guy is saying there's something just as wrong with cosplay?
I'm 99% sure cosplay is seen in the same way doujinshi (in Japan, obviously not here) are. While Japanese fansites won't even put up official artwork, fanart/doujins and cosplay are fanmade material that are treated completely different. I've never seen all of those anime companies whine about cosplayers at cons when they make appearances; we're basically free advertising. (Then again, you'd think they'd have AMVs shut down, but I think it's a bigger deal to the recording artists than it is to the anime companies.)

Blah, I dunno. Just seeing someone say cosplay is some horrible infringement of copyright made me want to speak up. I mean yeah, they're other people's characters, but it's taking a design and re-creating it, even sometimes altering it, and we're sure as heck not making any profit off of it. Oh well. I don't want to argue; I'm burnt out from a 12+ hour day of work and school. =/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
I'm supposed to be writing an essay for my college class, but who cares right? Twisted Evil

Personally, I think anime love/hate has absolutely nothing on politics. Forget entertainment mediums for sheer madnes and obsession. The world of American politics is a nightmare of ranting on both sides and mutual hatred. If it weren't illegal for people in DC to own guns, a second civil war would already have started. Wink

Those screenshots are just freaky. Ichigo's freak face isn't half as weird as Ichabod Uzumaki, but it's still pretty bad. Shorter series aren't immune to screwed up animation though. There's a particular episode of Samurai 7 that's pretty horribly animated and there were ton of flaws in the masters of To Heart (which have now been corrected by TRSI!) Sometimes animation studios go back and make adjustments prior to DVD release, which can go a long way toward correcting minor glitches. (Has anyone touched up that Bleach episode yet? That Ichigo face could probably be fixed pretty easily.)

I think the ranter has a fairly good point though I wish he'd put a tad more effort into the writing. It's not really badly written but it feels too informal to take very seriously.

I'm going to agree with penguintruth. Great word use.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
Headless Naruto is PRICELESS. Gotta show that to my friends.

As for AMV's, I don't have much of a problem with them. I don't see how an anime company could lose money from it. However, a band/singer might lose a relatively small amount of money from them. But they should worry more about illegal torrent/mp3 distribution than AMV's, if they want to stop their music from spreading illegally.

As for AMV quality, most of what I see is up-and-down. Sometimes it fits, sometimes it doesn't. The only ones I absolutely cannot stand are AMV's that use generic rock music with random clips. The lyrics should at least match the theme/feel of the anime, in one way or another.

The rant was interesting. I definitely agree that some anime companies should be a little more lenient on AMV's and fansites, since they barely even put a small dent on the industry.(if any) However, I do believe that creators should step in when people are downloading complete episodes of an anime that is available in their country. I'm really not sure where I stand in this arguement. Making an AMV really isn't wrong in my opinion, but at the same time, AMV creators still need to download episodes/clips to create an AMV in the first place.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
Cuprin wrote:
Quote:
I can't for the life of me think of an another form of entertainment that people love or hate so obsessively.

Two words: Country Music

Thats exactly what I was going to say Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:27 am Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
AMV creators still need to download episodes/clips to create an AMV in the first place.
Not true -- at The Org (as opposed to YouTube or wherever else videos are disseminated), video editors are strongly encouraged to use DVDs and not downloaded footage. Granted, breaking copyright encryption to rip footage from DVDs is still illegal, but it's at least better to have paid something to the creators of whose work you're making an AMV.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:29 am Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Blah, I dunno. Just seeing someone say cosplay is some horrible infringement of copyright made me want to speak up. I mean yeah, they're other people's characters, but it's taking a design and re-creating it, even sometimes altering it, and we're sure as heck not making any profit off of it. Oh well. I don't want to argue; I'm burnt out from a 12+ hour day of work and school. =/

I completely agree with you. I cringed when I saw the word cosplay in that rant. I don't think that portraying a character through dress is something that falls into the same category of copright infringement as, say, AMVs. It's like buying and wearing a Halloween costume of a licensed character. You can buy an offically licensed Naruto costume and wear it around all you want. Out of curiosity, I tried looking around to find any info about character copyrights but I didn't have any luck.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:29 am Reply with quote
I can't believe it took me this long to realize that Sandra is actually one of my friends. Totally awesome.

Anyways, I do like AMVs, but only some. Ones like the Princess Tutu "Hold Me" AMV are masterful, but you do have to wade through a lot of crud to find the quality ones.

As for the rant, I think the AMV maker can be upset if their editing was used in a different AMV without credit, since it takes a lot of time to create an AMV. The same could be said about someone taking fanart without permission. It's just polite to ask and credit.
Sakura no Miko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:33 am Reply with quote
The simplest reason for the haruhi order debate is probably this: the two final climatic episodes in broadcast order are actaully only about the halfway point of the story in chronological order. So, theoretically, if you watch it chronologically, you'll hit the climax halfway thorugh and then...just go thorugh a bunch of good, but anti-climatic episodes, like a six or so episode long epilogue.

Grnated, I haven't watched it in chronological order yet, so it's only a theory.

Then again, broadcast order has it's own faults. I can't tell you how many times I turned off the first episode because I couldn't watch it. I wasn't able to get into the series until I watched the first 2 or so (chronological) episodes.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
That said, with few exceptions, most bands don't seem to notice or care about AMVs, and the Japanese don't seem to care much either, so generally they're left alone. Sometimes they get caught up in the random fansub sweeps YouTube does every now and then, but that's about it. No, they're not legal, but nobody seems to care about them.

Well what was that thing with JASRAC and Youtube a little while back? Weren't certain AMV's removed because they had music that was protected by JASRAC?
Headless Naruto, pretty amusing. And this week's flake was FUNNY Laughing Zac you put in an excellent foreword for it too Laughing
Pandaguy87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:12 am Reply with quote
Uh, can someone tell me what anime was used for this week's banner?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:15 am Reply with quote
My god, why do people get such a stick up their a** about copyright stuff?

Okay, Downloading actual Anime is a legitimate issue. But the rest of the stuff is just stupid. These AMVs dont make anyone any money, its not like they cost the creators of the Anime/Music anything. So who cares? It gets worse from there. I mean copyrighted charcters in cosplay? Thats just stupid.

The rant was kinda uninteresting. It was more rantlike than usual. Short, angrier, not perticularily articulate. Plus it kinda repeated some of the stuff already said.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Yeah good point, but don't you think you are being a Japanophile and badsicly being those kids but geared to America? I mean that is how it is comming acorss to me.
Yeah that kid obviously sounds like he has a little to much experince in art, and can't apprecaite Anime because of steryotypes, but if you were faced in the same situation with American art what would you do?
I mean saying that "Americans can't handle long story arks" or saying that like you aren't one, if you live in America you are American. PERIOD. Also Anime being geared towards a "Real" feel you obviously (Or come acorss to) have no experince with american comics. If anything Anime is not directed to have a "Real" feeling but directed to more of an Abstract way of looking at it, what is directed towards a "real" feeling is american comics such as X-Men, and most Mravel comics, there art work looks as realt as it gets. . . . (I am not a big Fan of American comics so I am not being Baised)
So by bashing Americans like that you probably aren't very in touch with the Real world and you sound a little to much like that kid you were just bashing.^^.

I don't think I was being a Japanophile and I have nothing against American cartoons and I enjoy watching them. Those kids though don't give anime a chance simply because it is anime. I wasn't trying to say Im not an American because I am one and American's really can't handle long story arcs. Sure 24 and Prison Break do really well but in each episode more of the story is told and by the end of the season pretty much a huge portion of the story is complete. Now look at shows like Reunion and Vanished, those were canceled because they were not expaining everything at a steady pace, and Lost is getting lower ratings now because they are taking a long time to explain things. I didn't mind the shows going at that pace but I guess most people didn't. When I said anime had a real feel to it I guess you could apply that to marvel, by how the characters are drawn more real and same with their looks. I wasn't bashing Americans at all I was just stating that American shows can't spend too much time on one story arc because they will lose viewers, although I think American's should give them a chance though, because I think it would be pretty cool if for the remainder of this season of Lost they kind of copy the Soul Society arc of Bleach and have Kate, Sayid, Locke, and Rousseau go into the others strong hold to rescue Jack and fight a bunch of the high ranking Others, but I can't see that happening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10