• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-03-02]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That said, with few exceptions, most bands don't seem to notice or care about AMVs, and the Japanese don't seem to care much either, so generally they're left alone.

I doubt that anyone would care if you made an AMV using some band's music. Most bands would just think of it as a tribute to their song. The people who care too much about "Copyright laws" regarding music are the major companies in America. Remember when Lupin the 3rd was first shown in America and many people were "shocked" when they found out that Monkey Punch based it on a French novel without "permission" with the people affliated with the novel(even though they're dead). People in the US were shocked and pissed while the Japanese just shrugged and didn't care.
R_Amythest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Kagami8 and some others -- I was pretty surprised that this wasn't brought up until these last few pages, actually. As a fanfictionist and occasional fanartist, I'd like to say that I believe fanwork 'plagiarism' is mostly a code of honor sort of thing. It's courtesy to ask for permission and/or at least credit. If not? Well, the law isn't going to intervene for you, but you might dissuade one of the fandom's primary fanwork faucets from leaking any pretties again. Sad

But, really, I think the issue here is more with the general idea of someone taking something you spent time on, reposting it without significant effort on their part, and claiming it as their own. In fandom, you take the original creator's idea and you beat it into new forms, inserting your own ideas. It would hardly be considered tolerable even within fandom to take an entire unedited episode and slap on five songs in succession and call it an AMV, now would it?

It's quite a common argument for those who say that idea!plagiarism do exist -- it's not so much the fact that you're using the same plot as the fact that you're using someone else's plot, someone else's ideas, someone else's presentations, and someone else's heart, whilst adding nothing new yourself. (No Eragon pissy-fights please.)
davidlaw1985

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
In the quote tag you'd add ="their name" after the worde 'quote' so it'd look like]

Yey- Thank you- I forgot the quotation points
Dorian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Naruto's head is not missing. Its in the box being carried by the guy in front of him,
davidlaw1985

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote
True, he does look desperate to get to that man, you can almost hear him saying "hoi, give me that back- Gype!"
Kibamaru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I for one prefer watching Haruhi in the correct chronological order. It's easier to understand and makes sense. Would you really get a manga series and start from volume 11 then volume 1?

Also, the low-budget Naruto/Bleach screenshots were probably due to the infamous filler saga, which probably had brought down the show's popularity. Some people even stop downloading the fansubs. Shippuuden has better animation quality now.
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Kibamaru wrote:
Also, the low-budget Naruto/Bleach screenshots were probably due to the infamous filler saga, which probably had brought down the show's popularity. Some people even stop downloading the fansubs. Shippuuden has better animation quality now.

Like this Kakashi without hair frame from episode 4? Not that you'd never notice it, it's just a single frame. Still, made me giggle.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
OOF. Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:
Out of curiosity, is the puppy a Welsh Corgi? You know, like Ein? Laughing

I really wanted to just take a quick peek at the Answerman column (because I have some other things that I ought to be accomplishing right now), but, lo and behold, he used a photograph of a baby corgi this time, so I had to see if anyone commented on it. When I saw your question, I then had to go through the rest of the thread to make sure someone didn't answer it already. On close inspection, I didn't see an answer (hopefully I didn't skip one somehow), so here's my answer:

"Yes! It is a Welsh Corgi puppy! More specifically, a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, as opposed to the Cardigan Welsh Corgi. The most obvious difference between the two breeds is that the Cardigan has a tail and the Pembroke usually doesn't have a tail (there are a handful of Pems that do have tails even though I believe the breed standard is for them to not have tails). And, yup, Ein from Cowboy Bebop is a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, too. The corgi in that photo actually looks a lot like Ein, and it looks like the oldest of my three Pembroke Welsh Corgi family members! The corgi in the photo, Ein, and my family's oldest corgi have red coats, although there are also tri-color and sable-coated PWCs, too."

Anyways, thank you for using that image, Zac! It reminds me of when my family's corgis were babies. I feel all warm and fuzzy, now. I think I'm going to go hug the corgis. Anime smile
davidlaw1985

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I have seen Haruhi in both orders and I can appreciate the merits of each, however I think I would recommend people watch it in Cronological order. I do however like being as confused by the airing order, it added a little something different.
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
Not really. A clearer definition of the law is given in some of the suits brought by HIT Entertainment against a Baltimore school teacher who made a costume which the corporation thought to be infringing on the copyrighted likeness of the character of "Barney" (yeah, the kid-loved purple dinosaur has a crack legal team). HIT Entertainment won the suit because the image itself had been licensed. Had the likeness of "Barney" been fair use (such as the "Have a Nice Day" symbol, which was at one time considered to be fair use... there's an appeal from the originator currently in courts last I checked), no problema... if not, then you could run into a problem.

Fascinating. Thanks for the clarification, Yoda117! Smile

I'm not surprised that Barney has an aggressive legal team. I'm surprised they would bother with something like that. Rolling Eyes
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I also have a couple of friends who simply won't watch any anime as well. One friend only likes Gundam Wing & Dragon Ball Z, & he absolutely refuses to watch anything else from the medium, even if it's from a genre he likes. He generally likes L_A stuff only, and he doesn't like animation all that much anyways, so I acknowledge his reasons (to a certain degree). But I'll be damned if I don't introduce him to anything soon, let along even convince him to try. I have another friend who keeps on using "lack of time" as an excuse, but I know he's easier to crack than my other friend, as he doesn't have "I dislike animation" as an excuse. Another friend (who only watches action anime) & I are trying to get him to watch Eureka Seven.

On another note, Call me ignorant (or just plain clueless), but what is exactly wrong with the Bleach screencap? Confused
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quote

YouTube has enough space for everyone. I'd rather have a YouTube of freedom where anybody can post whatever they want, no matter how bad it might be, than a YouTube where "you" decide what goes on there. Inevitably, if you put restrictions on it, some of the good stuff is going to get excluded. It's like TV. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

You didn't read the report that some experts have contended that Youtube might beone of the many reasons why Internet Resources are going down in capacity because of streaming videos??
Rose Kitsune

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
davidlaw1985 wrote:
I will admit I have never once thought about the copyright issues of AMV's which I am a huge fan of.
It was AMV hell 3 that got me into anime and also suppplied the series' I wanted to start watching, I would have taken much longer to get into anime at all, also from one AMV I watched recently I went and bought three cd's all by the artist used, and the series.
I do believe that the companies are happy to turn a blind eye to this aspect of fandom

And that's exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you for helping to prove my point ^^
Rose Kitsune

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
By the way, the episode of Saurai 7 with the poor animation (REALLY poor) was episode 7, which was directed by a different person than the rest of the series. I don't think I've ever seen worse animation, honestly, but maybe I'm not thinking clear enough back to remember.

Kibamaru wrote:
I for one prefer watching Haruhi in the correct chronological order. It's easier to understand and makes sense. Would you really get a manga series and start from volume 11 then volume 1?

I'm not trying to belittle you, but the chronological order is no more "correct" than the broadcast order for Haruhi.

Aaaand I watched in in broadcast order, and it was easy for me to understand and I felt it made complete sense. Again, I'm not trying to belittle you, but just telling you a fact.

Also, have you ever saw Pulp Fiction or Memento? Imagine those movies put in chronological order. In fact, I want everyone to imagine that. Not pretty.

Buuuuut you can prefer the show whichever way you want to. Me, I'm going to watch it in chronological soon, because I already watched it in original broadcast order (to change things up).
Yeah, I like Haruhi better in broadcast better, too. That's one of the things I found to be very interesting about the show; for once you don't know everything that the characters know. You have to find it out for yourself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10