• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Sakuchan wrote:
In no particular order: Top 10
Cardcaptor Sakura
Fushigi Yuugi
InuYasha
Noir
Paradise Kiss
Rurouni Kenshin
Sailor Moon
Saiyuki
Witch Hunter Robin
X TV

Bottom 5:
Kare Kano
Fate/Stay Night
Blue Seed
Naruto
Yu Yu Hakusho

You might want to edit that quick, and explain why, before mods delete that post. Since you're new here, you might want to read Teh Rules (Sorry don't know how to link).
Irebun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
10 Favorites!!! (+ one more) xDD

1. Sailor Moon: I love this show! Mainly because its one of the first anime i had ever watched. I FREAKIN' LOVE THEIR THEME SONG. xDDD

2.Tenchi Muyo: Again...this is one of the first ever anime i had watched. I love the characters,and the little Cabbits. xDD

3. Samurai Champloo: I love anime with action. SC also had a good storyline, in my opinion. Though it was quite dissapointing in the end. =P I still like it tho

4.S-cry-eD: I recommend everyone watch this! A story between 2 rivals; Kazuma & Ryuhou. xDD i love Kanami, she's soo cute!!. ^^

5.Trigun: omg. Vash is sooo cute! I immediatly fell in love with this anime when i first saw baby Vash & Knives! *squee* Anime smile + sweatdrop'

6.FMA: At first i didn't exactly like the series, it kinda scared me...lol (i was younger when i saw it) But it was pretty good after it got into the later episodes.(FMA: COS, is good too)

7.LAST EXILE: My all time fav show!!! Even tho i missed a couple of the beginnning episodes it still turned out to be very good. Though it is a little slow getting into.(lol theres plenty of talking) I also like the characters...(especially when Range Murata draws them... xDD)

8. Pokemon: lol sry i had to do it. Well i first saw this when i was little ( of course) And i had always loved it....until season 20. xDD lol jk. But its getting really repeditive now. . >.<and>.>)

10: Karas: ooo...i really love this show/movie. But its kinda of confusing, it also has too many characters...lol (but im still gonna buy the 2nd movie.)

11: (sorry i had to add this one in real quick) Ergo Proxy: I just got this anime yesterday and its amazing! It has a grungy/horror feel to it. (its not really scary tho) I watched episodes 1-4 and loved all of them. ^^ (also if any of u liked Witch Hunter Robin, you'd prolly like this show too.) Smile

5 Anime shows i Despise:

1. NEON GENESIS EVANGELION: My hatred for this show burns like the flames of 10million Suns (combined to form one "Uber-Sun") xDD lol. No but seriously...i dislike these characters soooo much...they all whine and swear..and....*punches shinji*
Shinji = whiney & wimpy
Asuka = little brat
Rei = ( lol nvm she's ok...she hardly says anything... >.>)

2.Escaflowne: O.o this show is just...wierd... =,= I didn't understand it at all...

3.Texhnolyze: another wierd one... lol i dont like that one blonde girl either..(the one with the english accent)

4.Rah Zephon: well i knew RahZephon would never stand a chance...because i really dont like Mecha shows...at all...period...end of story..lol >.<

Well thats all! ^^
Jade L.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
So far I've only seen a very small number of anime compared to most people on this board. So my list is much shorter.

Favorites List (no particular order)

Fate/Stay Night
Has all the elements that I enjoy in an anime: good story, memorable characters, great action, fantasy element, beautiful art style. Everything just hits the right note for me. My favorite character is Archer Smile

Bleach
Bleach reminds me of my favorite childhood show Saint Seiya. The same feeling of awe I have when watching it. Back then the recurring question was "Will Seiya and Co. successfully defeat the next gold saint?". Now the recurring question is "Will Ichigo and Co. successfully defeat the next Death God Captain?" Of course Bleach is current and a better show. I also love the character designs, they are unique and affective. Soundtrack is also excellent. I really like that ED song "My Pace".

R.O.D OAV & TV
Lots of great action here. The story seemed a bit forced. But the characters had heart. I loved the 3 paper sisters, especially Michelle the eldest one.

My-Hime/Mai-Otome
Again for all the same reasons as Fate/Stay Night. Just a well put-together package.

Wolf's Rain
Beautiful, haunting, bittersweet. Also this is the series that got me officially interested in anime.

Least Favorites List

Love Hina
There's not much of a story. Random and pointless things happen in every episode. Instead of finding it funny and amusing, I find it quite painful.

Desert Punk
Maybe the OP put me off. Or maybe the main character put me off. Or maybe the story didn't do much for me. Or maybe ...

Those Who Hunt Elves
I don't like the animation style used for this show. Plus story is weak.

Escaflowne
Further confirmation to myself that I don't like giant robot anime (mostly).
Jagsmen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Top 5

1. Eureka 7 - This is the must watch anime. Great animation, great fight scenes, AMAZING character development, and a wonderful story. Once you start watching you are hooked. Don't let the 'Robot surfers' discourage you from watching. They arent the focus point, its the love story between Renton and Eureka which keeps you wanting more. I consider this anime head over heels better than all other animes I've watched. This anime WILL leave you wanting more, so enjoy it while it lasts.

2. One Piece - Oda's humor can make even the most cold laugh. The series starts of kinda slow, but once you hit the Arlong Park arc, you wont ever look back. The art style really grows on you as you after awhile, and you can really grow attached to all the mugiwara crew members and their very interesting histories. Also, Gear 2. Nuff said.

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion - The first anime that actually threw me into the anime world. A very interesting, but confusing and open ended story leaves you wanting more after you watched this. The series continues to grow darker and darker with each passing episode, and this darkness is what makes the anime great. The ending will confuse the hell out of you, but its damn good.

4. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - For such a short anime, this was a damn good one. The story and humor is fun, and the jumbled way they set up the episode order was a very cool idea. I cant wait for season 2, and hopefully it wont disappoint.

5. Naruto - Kishimoto's popular ninja series is full of action, drama, and comedy. While its been criticized as just a general shounen, its pulled in many fans with its interesting story and lovable protagonist.

Bottom 5

1. Elfen Lied - Not really bad, but not good. I cant really put my finger on it, but there was just something about this anime i didn't like (It wasn't the fan service or gore though, hehe)

2. Dragonball GT - Was pretty much crap. They took an already overused series, and overused it some more! To much power in the series to where it was where the characters were becoming deities,

3.Yu Gi Oh - Fighting with cards...bleh. Highly disliked the art style, and the story did not interest me.

4. Beyblade - See Yu Gi Oh

5. Inuyasha - Started off good, but just got so damn repetitive. The way it ended was so horrible too. Was to bad, because i saw alot of promise.
Sun King

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Top 5 Favorite Anime

Neon Genesis Evangelion - There's not much i can say about this show that hasn't already been said, but Eva left a huge impact on me. I first started watching it around five years ago, and what drew me into it (besides the mecha battles and pretty girls) was how much i could relate to Shinji. I had just started high school and moved to a new town so I didn't know anybody, thus i could relate to the lonliness he felt. It took me awhile to collect all the volumes, but i held off on watching EoE for a long time, i suppose because i felt that if i didn't watch that movie, it was like the show hadn't ended. yeah that sounds stupid now, but i was a kid back then. anyways i've never stopped loving this show.

Berserk - Another show that's been talked about to death, Berserk kicks ass. The anime's good, but the manga's loads better. Also, Berserk has the distinction of being one of the few anime shows where i actually enjoyed the begining and ending theme. The opening song still gets stuck in my head, and the words are sung with just the right amount of sadness to suit the series.

Elfin Lied - All I can say is wow, I f***in love this show. Great art, amazing story, gut-wrenching drama, not to meantion boobs and gore. I haven't watched it in awhile, but I still remember the episode where Lucy ripped that girl's limbs off, that s*** made me wanna cry, and anime hardly ever makes me feel that way.

Aeon Flux - Not really anime, but a cool show regardless. Watching it as a kid, I was completely blown away by the animation, and even though I couldn't understand the what was going on in the show, I still loved it. After rediscovering it on DVD, I can honestly say it's even better than I remember it. The live action movie was pretty lame, but that hasn't ruined this great show.

Gantz - A show I've seen more recently I included on this list because it's stuck out in my mind alot more than other shows I've seen. The story in really engaging even if at first it falls into the "main character dies in first episode but doesn't really and his life is changed" formula, and the characters are fairly three dimentional. Gantz tends to suffer with pace issues, like the writers kept certain scenes going on and on while they tried to figure out how to end them. And the whole 'dog licking the chick's vagina' thing wasn't funny when it first happened, but they kept doing it like a running joke. I mean, what guy would want to fantasize about a girl who's *ahem* downstairs is full of dog slobber? Talk about a killjoy. Still, this is an intresting show that I really enjoyed overall.

Honorable meantions: RahZephon, Chobits, Giant Robo, Cowboy Bebop, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

Top 5 Least Favorite Anime

Naruto - boring and unoriginal. I really don't understand why so many people like this show, or its characters. This show follows all the tried and true formulas set out by shows like YuYu Hakusho and HunterxHunter, and really doesn't offer anything I haven't seen before. The whole 'tornament' thing is so used by now, the writers really need to find a new plot device. And in every episode I've seen, someone pulls out a new trick, and then for the next ten minutes the characters act surprised and wonder 'how can so and so defeat such a powerful attack?!?' and then three episodes later they finally overcome this great adversary... and then the next fight starts! Yawn.

One Piece - dub or sub, this show sucks. Similar to shows like Naruto, where everything takes forever to happen, with whole episodes of set-up, followed by a long fight where Luffy finally wins by the skin of his teeth (with the help of his friends!) and on and on. But this is a beef I have with alot of manga, where you don't get as much story per comic as you do with American comics, and the story gets so dragged out, I don't see how anyone has the patience to see how it turns out (as if they couldn't guess).

Yu Gi Oh - I absolutely hate the way the characters are drawn, among other things. I can't get past the whole Pokemon ripoff thing, and even if I could, this show only exists to sell cards. So if you like the card game, or you're ten years old, you'll probably like this show. And I'll avoid it.

Final Fantasy Unlimited - Nothing final fantasy about it, too episodic and uninteresting. I was really disappointed with this show. I haven't seen it in a long time, so I can't remember much about, other than the bad taste it left in my mouth. Besides, they never finished it, did they?

Dragon Ball Z - I thought DBZ was entertaining at first, but it quickly got old. The most exciting arc was at the beginning when Vegeta invated the Earth, but then the whole Namak thing took way way way too long. And that final battle with Goku and Freeza was complete crap. After that, I completely lost interest in the show. I've never watched Dragon Ball GT, so I can't comment on that, but a few years ago I did read the old Dragon Ball manga and that was a hell of a lot better than anything DBZ every did.

Last edited by Sun King on Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darkvyse88

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
This is preety hard as I have seen a lot of Anime that I enjoy, but here goes.

1. GunxSword: Many people don't seem to really care for this show. Thing is, I can't imagine why. Great animation, excellent characters, well put together plot, and an impressive music score. Has one or two episodes that could of been better formulated, but this show has kept me engrossed and amazed for the past 23 episodes and I am looking forward to the last three.

2. Elemental Gelade: I am a sucker for fantasy/romance anime. This one does not dissapoint. The relationship developed between Cou and Ren is excellent against the backdrop of a beautiful story and excellent artwork. May seem redundent to some, but its better then most fantasy anime out there.

3. This Ugly yet Beautiful World: Give it up to Gainix to release such an amazing series. Artwork, music, and english dub are suberb. Add in a story of love, friendship, sadness, envy, and the future of human existence and this anime is one of the best ever.

4. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: Breaks from the pack to become something, fresh, orginal, and new. Yet to hear the English dub, but I know it will deliver. This show has captivated many Anime fans and with its U.S. release is sure to bring in more fans. Got to love Haruhi for being crazy, ecentric, and so far the best female lead in an Anime so far to date.

5. Ergo Proxy: Think Ghost of the Shell meets Witch Hunter Robin. Throw in incredible artwork, a dark sci-fi setting, and a uncompromising look into Earth's future. Adding in Radiohead to do the ending theme is like finding twenty bucks on the ground. Go to love it.

Not to forget: Princess Mononoke, FLCL, Naruto, Akira, and G Gundam.

Now for the 5 worst:

1. Inuyashu: Repetitive, pathetic, and, to quote VGcats, "Its DBZ for girls!!!"

2. Dragon Ball GT: No real point in this . The series should of just not done sci-fi and stuck to the kung-fu journey plot of DB.

3. Dragon Ball Z: Just like 3, with all the fights that take 25 episodes to do.

4. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Lacked the energy of the movies.

5. Gundam Wing: Just why to annoying to follow.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Darkvyse88 wrote:
1. Inuyashu: Repetitive, pathetic, and, to quote VGcats, "Its DBZ for girls!!!"

2. Dragon Ball GT: No real point in this . The series should of just not done sci-fi and stuck to the kung-fu journey plot of DB.

3. Dragon Ball Z: Just like 3, with all the fights that take 25 episodes to do.

4. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Lacked the energy of the movies.

5. Gundam Wing: Just why to annoying to follow.

These need more work. Lazy, half-assed responses for the least favorites are not acceptable, especially when I look at your favorites and see that you can easily do better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Skylark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:08 am Reply with quote
Hrm, where do I start. These are my favourites, in no particular order.

1. Elfen Lied - probably my favourite anime ever. The character development got me really involved; I ended up laughing whenever Nyuu went about her quirky ways, or feeling terrible when confronted with Nana's existence. A whole kaleidoscope of emotions are expressed in this anime, and it ended very well in my opinion. Also, the opening theme (and often used throughout the anime), Lilium, is the best song ever. Period.

2. Shingetsutan Tsukihime - based off a rather lewd graphical novel, but displaying none of the flaws in the graphical novel (ie the stupid H scenes which take the characters and completely change their personalities for the duration). This anime, in a word, is awesome. To start off, Shiki's ability to see death in anything (animate or inanimate) is one of the coolest powers I've ever seen in an anime. Secondly, it doesn't vary too much from the graphical novel, but in some places it actually gives you more detail than the specific route in the graphical novel (for example, in the True Arcueid route in the graphical novel (which the anime is based off), you don't find out about the red-haired Akiha, or the secret jail which the 'real' Shiki was trapped in). Everything came together extremely well; the plot is well balanced, taking parts from various routes; cutting out the crappy H scenes, and ending off very nicely.

3. Noein - I love the artwork in this anime. Never have I seen such detailed fps work - the fight scenes (especially Karasu vs Fukurou) are brilliantly done. The story is very well written. I was a little disappointed about the ending (for example, I half expected Atori to resume being evil; just to make life difficult, so the ending wasn't _quite_ so predictable) - however, episode 22 especially made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. This anime displays nice blend of emotions; and the animation quality is just so damn good for the most part (although some parts are _extremely_ scrappily drawn - funnily enough, episode 22 is one of the worst whilst still being my favourite ep). It's still a must-see, in my opinion.

4. D.N.Angel - This anime is a classic. Nothing is especially fantastic about it - plot development, character development, artwork, music etc (although True Light is an awesome song) - but it's all very good, and it's a nice story. Worth watching - I especially recommend this one for younger viewers.

5. Speed Grapher - Now, I had a real issue watching this one, because, in my opinion, it has some of the worst artwork I've ever seen in an anime (though not as bad as Vision of Escaflowne). I don't think Kagura looked the same in any two episodes. >< HOWEVER - the plot in this anime makes up for everything. It is brilliant. Seriousy, I recommend you watch it as though it were a book; sort of. Let your imagination go with the drawings, but follow the plot. It is fantastic, and I definitely recommend it (though it is a little more vulgar than most anime; you probably need to be a bit more mature to stomach some of it).

Other anime that I'm currently enjoying, but won't review because they aren't finished, are Death Note, Busou Renkin, Nodame Cantabile, and Pumpkin Scissors (I especially like this one, despite its rather suspect name). However all 4 of these I would recommend watching as they come out, because they are ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.

Honourable mentions to Trigun, Gungrave, Jigoku Shoujo, GunXSword, Eramentar Gerad (there's not much that I can commend about this anime, since the voice-acting is rather poor I found; however, it's a nice story), and Perfect Blue; though I am really not so partial to these, so someone more involved in them than I can give better reviews, most likely.

As for anime I dislike - I'm not going to review them thoroughly, as I believe people are entitled to their own opinions, and as such it isn't up to me to attempt to tear down these opinions. However, my most disliked would be:

1. Bleach - Whoo boy, what can I say. I was so disappointed about this. It sort of reminds me of the television show, Lost. It started out awesome - but then I got to around the 60 episode mark, and had to wonder why I was still bothering to watch it (I don't now). The animation quality degraded slowly for the course of the anime (watch episode 1, then watch one of the later episodes). The fillers are _retarded_, and the plot is being dragged on and on - it just got far too boring to watch. Like I said; I was really disappointed, because I started out really enthusiastic about Bleach.

2. Pokemon/Yu-gi-oh/Digimon/<insert> - Need I say more? Apart from, at least Pokemon was reasonably innovative. The other two are mere hacks. And I loathe the animation style in Yu-gi-oh, not to mention the terrible fps.

3. FLCL/Serial Experiments Lain - Everyone I know seems to like these; but I don't get it, and neither do they. As a work of art, it's awesome - but it makes no sense.

I ran out before I got 5. I didn't bother to watch Naruto or Inuyasha (anime that goes for that long does not catch my interest at all, since like Bleach, and Lost, and Dragon Ball Z, more often than not they only exist to rake in money for the producers, who throw out the plot in order to spawn pointless episode after pointless episode of their conclusion-less tripe). No doubt I would not have liked them at all, though.

If anything, I hope after reading this at least some of you go and watch Shingetsutan Tsukihime (if you haven't seen it already), because I don't think it's as popular as it should be.

EDIT: How could I forget! Anything by Hayao Mayazaki is brilliant too. If you don't know who he is, I pity you. I would especially recommend Kaze no Tani no Naushika (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind) - this movie had a really deep impact on me.

EDIT2: Oops, forgot Read or Die! in my 'Honourable Mentions' section. This anime is also awesome. I love the character of the protagonist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
machiaveli

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Favorites, no order.

Last Exile - Beautiful animation. Favorite scene was when Luciola fights for Dio's freedom. Also a great ending, very uplifting. I gave my copy of this series to a relative and i had to go out and buy it again just to rewatch it.

Samurai Champloo - Great story, great characters, catchy music, very funny. What more can you ask for? My favorite episode is Gamblers and Gallantry (go watch it), it makes me very emotional sometimes at the end.

End of Evangelion - The scene where Asuka fights the mass produced evas and then spoiler[gets eaten] blew me away.

Gunslinger Girl - Very touching. All the girls are absolute angels. IMO the best ending in any anime. The 9th is my favorite piece of music.

Wolf's Rain - Very emotional series. I found myself all choked up multiple times while watching. I loved the concept of searching for the promised land.

Cowboy Bebop - Love the sub, hate the dub. Ed's english voice actor is terrible. Very funny show. Can go back and watch any episode because theyre all self contained. Spike is the coolest leading guy ever.

Azumanga Daioh - This may sound crazy, but this show actually inspired me to get a great pyrenees (chiyo's dog). This show is very funny and entertaining, it puts me in a good mood whenever i watch it.

Air - Very very funny show, but also very very sad. You know in the movie "Orange County" where he's reading the book and crying and saying "It's just so sad!", that was me while watching most of this series. =P Gao!

Disliked Anime

Ouran Highschool Host Club - It was cute and all, but something about that little fruitcup kid being a karate master turned me off. Some of the episodes were very boring, esp. the ones with the Obelia girls.

Naruto - I've only seen like 5 episodes but it seemed very stupid (a guy fought with sand and his body was made with sand so he couldnt be hurt.... um...) Also i hate the fanbois.

Rumbling Hearts - Slow and boring. The only anime that i bought the box set (due to the recomendations of the users here) and i didn't finish.
Fiasnahk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:51 am Reply with quote
I have many favorite Anime but my top 5 would be

1.Naruto Shippuden
I've always been a big naruto fan but the fillers sort of ruined the excitement and suspense built up during the first 120 episodes. Alot may not agree with this choice but Its definitely my favorite.

2. Samurai Champloo
Boy! was this an anime to watch. I loved it from the very first episode. Not only does it have great fight scenes and makes reference to historical events, but its got the one of the coolest characters found in any anime. Mugen,in my mind, is only rivaled by Brandon Heat and D. Although the plot is not very deep,it doesn't have to be for a 26 ep series.

3. Gungrave
This is the anime to watch for intense gun battles. Gungrave has a deep plot to it, it's about some corporation like the mafia. But the reason for it being one of my favorite is because its just a cool anime to watch, with cool fights in every episode and the character development thats made to Brandon and Harry.

4. Death Note
This anime has great suspense and buildup as the plot is very interesting. It really had me hooked during the first 15 episodes, where i would have claimed it to be the best anime ever, but the plots gotten to long and its become the same old, same old. Still, it has great art and the suspense thats built up is unparalleled, great thriller.

5. Samurai X
This is the OAV of Rurouni Kenshin( which i think is way overated) and is much better in my opinion. Its got great art and real bloody fight scenes.

If I had to include movies I would also include Ninja scroll and the other usuals ie Princess Mononoke, Grave of the fireflies etc
raveyukino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:40 am Reply with quote
my top 10 anime is:

1.bleach~ i love the story.. i love the characters.. i love all about bleach.. ^^

2.hunter x hunter~ this anime shows the important of having "friends" ^^

3.card captor sakura~ many adventures.. ^^

4.tsubasa chronicle~ a boy (shoaran'kun) doing everything just for his loveone(sakura).. fight for love!! and mokona is so kawaii.. ^^

5.gravitation~ yaoi story.. i love souchi. ^^

6.tactics~ i don't know if kantarou and haruka is really yaoi but if they were a couple.. *wish* ^^ their gonna be a cute couple.. ^^

7.naruto~ when i was a child i dreamed about going to a ninja school.. *wish* but in time by time pass.. i just knew that is impossible.. ^^ *sigh* so i just watch hinata(my favorite character in naruto) beating and completing all their missions.. like i was the one doing it.. ^^ *dreaming*

8.detective conan~ shinichi kudo is a very intelligent man.. ^^ at his age (17) he can solve any cases.. its just amazing he can beat other detectives older than him.. (koguro mauri ^^)

9.samurai x~ Rurouni Kenshin is so cool.. ^^ i just love the story..

10.fruit basket~Tohru Honda, Yuki Sohma and Kyo Sohma.. are so funny.. (especially Kyo sohma) cause, why just he admit that he love tohru.. *sigh* but even though he don't admit it.. he's just showing.. and for me thats more romantic.. ^^

well thats all.. ^^
Master_M2K

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Well my Top 10 animes, with my no.1 being:

1- Naruto - It's the anime that got me back into animes, since the days when I used to watch DBZ. Superb mix of combat and character development backed up by an interesting plot.

2 - Full Metal Panic - TSR - This was an execellent sequel to a decent, which has it all in 13 episodes. Romance, Comedy, Action, Suspense, with the best emotional voice acting in both subbed and dubbed versions. Too bad it was only 13 episodes.

3 - Bleach - The only real rival to Naruto, with plently of action and character development. It's great because the storyline isn't as slow as Naruto's but it lacks speculations that makes Naruto and the Naruto Furoms so great. Anime smile

4 - Full Metal Alchemist - The interesting plot is what got me hooked to this anime, and the fact that you could clap your hands and create something. The only bad thing I could say is that it lacked action.

5 - Eureka Seven - My first sci-fi anime and it happened to have such a great romantic story, that it's the reason why I've watched great shows like: Full Metal Panic, Ah! My Goddess, Escaflowne, etc.

6 - Gungrave - Interesting an original plot, with a decent paced storyline. I loved the whole gangster life thing, how they worked they way up and the betrayel.

7 - Cowboy Bebop - I enyoyed the jazz theme and random storys but I really loved the way the charcters developed. Definitely one I put in my classics collection.

8 - Samurai Champloo - Very simular to Cowboy Bebop, but with some of the best and most fluid combat I've ever seen. The only thing it lacked was character development.

9 - Shakugan no Shana - The first episode was one of the best first episodes I've ever seen, because it did the job of any great anime in shocking me. Interesting battles, but I did find some of the characters annoying at times.

10 - Tsubasa Chronicles - A great show to watch and one of the few Fantasy animes I've enjoyed. I enjoyed the whole adventures in different worlds concept and how well it was done in this anime.
PriZmatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
My favorite animes - somewhat ordered.

1. Black Lagoon - I recently watched this anime and it instantly took #1 in my favortie anime list. It's got it all - the subtle love story, politics, action and most important of all a coherent interesting story that really catches you. On top of this, the character devoplment is impressive - its hard to believe that the Rock's in episode 1 and 26 aren't two different persons.
And as if it isnt enough - it has chicks with guns - nuns with guns and - well - more guns Very Happy
Highly recommendable.

2. Noir
Admidably the story in Noir is somewhat slow to begin with. It has a lot of flashbacks and repetition - but hang on - because once you get into the story it graps you. Noir is a story about two female assassins spoiler[one of which is to kill the other - but neither knows why and thus they team up to find out why they met] doing assassiny stuff. Slowly their pasts are opened up for us through the flashbacks that shows more and more of the past events every time. The music is great aswell - and it plays an important part in the story, thus being more than a soundtrack. All in all its a unique and different anime compared to many mainstream ones.
And also - it has chicks with guns.

3. RahZephon + Slayers these two animes are tied in 3rd place.
Normally I despise Mecha-animes - reminds me too much of Power Rangers' Megazord - but RahZephon is soo much more than a mecha-anime. The characters in it are all very realistic and loveable. No stereotypes - atleast not any extremes. The story is great - especially the ending - if you just accept the weird.
Slayers is more like a child anime - but it is nontheless great. I love Lina Inverse - who is my favorite anime heroine (perhaps tied with Revy from Black Lagoon) - and especially her attitude when it comes to looting and/or getting paid.
It has humor, action and huge evil monsters - and chicks with spells.

4. Full Metal Alchemist I love how this anime just gets darker and darker the futher we proceed into the story. Its not only a story about two brothers trying to get back their bodies - but also about ethics, politics and human cruelness.
Its got lots of cool action and the entire alchemy concept makes fantasy freaks like me drool.

5. Bleach + Naruto The two classics - great stories, somewhat weak character development - but they still manage to keep me glued to the screen every week.

6. Excel saga + The Melancholy of H.S.
Excel saga - because of the randomness - its great fun and always surprising. I especially like the ending theme - poor little dog.
H.S. - Who doesn't love the excentric Haruhi? - Its probarbly the best drawn show of those I have mentioned so far - and like excel saga - its "weird", but weird is good.

Others:
Witchhunter robin great atmosphere
Black Cat Fun with a great story if you skip the last 3-4 episodes
chrono crusade - only anime that ever made me cry - and I never cry - its not manly.

Least favorite:
Soul link this anime lacks almost everything - plot, coherence and likeable characters. Its well animated no doubt - but it wants too much and thus screws up. Its a failure as fan service - the story it wants to tell is too long to fit 14 episodes and thus it speeds over some of the important points - and add to this misplaced and entirely unnescessary panty shots and accidently-walking-into-a-shower-that-is-in-use scenes. The motivations and background stories for the characters involved is too constructed and - excuse me for being shallow - lame. If they had had a better story writer and some more air time - it might have ended up decent.

Actually thats it - I have managed to steer away from bad animes
Sarene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
Top 10 favorite animes:

1) Saiyuki - First of all, I want to explain that the manga is insanely better than the anime, but with that in mind, it's still my favorite. Gensomaden Saiyuki, Saiyuki Reload, and Saiyuki Reload Gunlock are the anime forms of Saiyuki and Saiyuki Reload. I've been in love with the main characters since the beginning. Kazuya Minekura has a wonderful way to always make you want to know more about the characters, all of them having dark and painful pasts, and all of them just struggling to live in the now. All though I find it slightly annoying that, after over a year of actual story line [and several years of real time], they still have failed to travel just from China to India, that slight annoyance is quickly overcome by the all of the addicting qualities to it. The action, the friendship that can't be crushed spoiler[even after 500 years of reincarnations], the dark history of each of the main guys, the comic relief Goku and Gojyo always contribute, the occasional fan-service, and [sorry, I am, in fact, a fangirl] the oh-so-yummyness of Sanzo and Hakkai.

2) Bleach - All though I HATED the Bount filler arc, Bleach is just wonderful. The action is always intense and filled with almost too much blood, the subtle romance that seems to ooze out of everyone, the way Kubo Tite gets you completely attached to the characters, and the fact that I actually get surprised from time to time. Renji is one of my favorite characters in any anime.

3) Death Note - ahhhhhh, even though I HATE how it ends spoiler[sup everyone dead, dammit], this story is intense and addicting. And now that the anime is being produced, I must say, it's turning out to be just amazing. The tiny little additions that have been added to the anime are wonderful, such as the color change of everything when L's and Light's inner minds are processing info. It always adds this wonderful sense of intensity. Yagami Light is the greatest bad guy of all time, he actually makes me want to have the bad guy win. But I think that was the intention, being that the bad guy is the main character. When the first episode came out, I was covered in chills, the music that plays while Light writes in his Death Note is just so captivating. Also, for those that have seen the live-action movies of this series, I need to say one thing, I hate the live-actions movies! The story-line is changed WAY TOO MUCH! ugh...

4) Ouran High School Host Club - Ah, I guess I can't escape being a fangirl. It's true, I love silly girly animes, sigh. Anyways, this anime succeeds in making me both laugh and get all warm and fuzzy inside, so therefore, it wins. Besides all of the male main characters being exceedingly yummy, the romance between Haruhi and, well, everyone is just fantastic. Plus, even when there is a main story line of silliness and corny behavior, all of the characters have a more serious back story that make them compelling and deep characters.

5) The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi - The incoherent placement of the episodes of this series, at first, bugged me, but once I had seen all of the episodes and could make sense of it all, I fell in love with this Picasso-esque set up. I love the idea of this story line. spoiler[all though the idea of God being a bored high school student terrifies me] This anime is simply a lot of fun.There is no doubt that Haruhism has grown.

6) Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo - These two are tied for this place. Not just because they are by the same director, but because they pretty much have the same level of awesomeness in it. Samurai Champloo has a bit more action in it and, frankly, ends with me less upset than in Cowboy Bebop. These are both wonderful stories, one a futuristic sci-fi story, the other a story of world long ago but pleasantly mixed with things from modern day. Both of these stories are pretty unique and wonderfully addicting. ALSO, they are pretty much the only animes that don't sound god-awful in English. Even though I still prefer the original Japanese voice actors, it's one of the few instances where the English voice actors don't sound like they are completely morons.

7) Love Hina, Chobits - these two tie for me, again. They were the first two animes that I fell in love with. These two are the reason why I wasted every extra cent I have on anime and fan crap. Both of these are classic love stories; Love Hina being your harem love story, and Chobits being your geek-and-the-beauty love story. In Love Hina's case, I need to say that the manga is better spoiler[being that it ends much MUCH farther down the road than the anime does]

8) Rozen Maiden - There is very little more freaky in the world than the idea of dolls coming to life and dueling each other. Yet, somehow, this story is just that, and manages to be touching and adorable. I LOVE Rozen Maiden. 7 beautiful, adorable dolls that are actually living, all striving to become the perfect doll, Alice. Come for Shinku's attitude, but stay for Suiseiseki's witty humor.

9) Mahou Sensei Negima - The creator of Love Hina, Ken Akamatsu, brings us something a bit more fantasy than before, and emphasizes even more so on the harem aspect. 32 girls and one kid boy. Haha. Oh man. But somehow, even with the shenanigans, this series still managed to make me weep like a little baby. The manga is still on-going, and is massively different than that anime. Also, both the anime and the manga are being re-created with Negima Neo, which, frankly, I'm not a fan of. Oh well, anyways, this series is adorable and touching.

10) Azumanga Daioh - Even though I can only watch this series in a few episodes at a time before I get bored, there really isn't anything more cute in the entire world than Azumanga Daioh. I want Chiyo as my own daughter. The cute characters, the silly situations they get into, the fact that we go through all of high school with them, and the random overwhelming cute things that happen all make this anime worth your time.

5 Least Favorite Animes

1) Naruto - I know that there are a LOT of insanely addicted fans out there of Naruto, but I do not understand why. This show just seems to lack anything that would grab my attention. Maybe it's too childish for me? That doesn't make too much sense, being that I listen Azumanga as one of my favorites. I don't knnow, I just generally don't enjoy this series. Let alone it's gone on for freaking ever. I'm sure I just got half of the forum not liking me now, but oh well.

2) Inuyasha - I understand that there are a lot of fangirls that just love the furry thing, but really, what is it about this anime that everyone likes? It doesn't even end, it got canceled or something, right? The storyline just seems to drag on for far too long with this, and only continues to irritate me. Mind you, I genuinely tried to see if I could like this series, but I just couldn't. I don't know, that's just me I guess.

3) Dragonball/Z/GT/etc etc - oiiiiii, the Dragonball series is just extremely annoying. Be it the CONSTANT screaming, the ridiculous "powers", the insanely ugly art, or whatever, I just never could like it.

4) Evangellion - Once again, I don't understand why so many people enjoy this show. I'm automatically prejudice against giant robots in the first place, but I tried to watch it. A friend of mine considers this his favorite of all time shows, so I wanted to try to understand why. I never could. It's boring most of the time, and when it's not boring, it's like a tiny acid trip. Just not my style.

5) FLCL - This one hurts my head. It's like watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, you quite literally feel like you ate something that was covered in some form of illegal drugs. The plot is stupid, the "random" factor in the art style is annoying, and the trying-too-hard attempts to confuse their own audience is an instant turn-off.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:29 am Reply with quote
divineinfekt wrote:
drivel

Uhh... how about a "why"? There's something to be said for efficiency... but efficiency implies that you're actually telling the reader something useful. Why do you like these shows? What shows don't you like? Why do they make you think? Where did Eva fail that Rah Xephon passed? What is so crazy about Samurai X (*ahem* you mean Ruroni Kenshin I assume, though the confusion is understandable, I haven't even seen the show and I know the story behind the name changes)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 53 of 122