• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-03-09]

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satanachia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
One thing for the flake. NO COLUMN FOR YOU! (In reference to the Seinfeld Soup Nazi)
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
While I found that flake absolutely hilarious, I have this nagging feeling it's a troll. Or at least I *hope* it's a troll, otherwise, you know, [insert stereotypical rant about having lost faith in humanity blah blah blah]

Last edited by EngrishFan on Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
@Higurashi concerns:

ADV has already released a series with much more mainstream appeal and far more sexual elements. It's called Elfen Lied. It came and went and no one in the mainstream media cared. If that series didn't cause concern, When They Cry (that's the official title, no '- Higurashi' on the end though the Japanese title will still be on the case under it, I believe).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
MORE PUPPY PICTURES - PLEASE!

These flakes, **shakes head**, don't any of them attend English classes in school? I mean the type of English classes that demand that you write properly spelled, punctuated and grammatically correct sentences and paragraphs?

Nice rant. A very good reminder that not everybody from a city, state or Country that you like and/or appreciate things about it, will like and/or appreciate the same things that you do. Very nice.

Interesting banner...who is it? Embarassed
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
The Banner is Light from Death Note.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
linlinchan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
I have to say thanks to the author of the rant this time around. You bring up a great point about something that really needs to be adressed but seldom is.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Wow. If you are going to criticize someone, at least sound smart doing it Anime hyper

Anyways, about subtitles. I can live with a dub, but I prefer the subtitles for other reasons. I don't mind how "close" the translations is, as long as I can understand it. But with dubs, I have the tendancy to space out and miss lines. Haha, so subtitles are better for me as I can easily understand things quicker when I read. Same with jokes, then again I use CC a lot on my TV too.

Hmm.. i didn't keep track of last week's column's forum response about AMVs, but I didn't think Zac said anything that negative. It is true, when I go to youtube to look at AMVs, I only find a few that actually impress me.

As for scanslations, they are good for reading the latest chapter in Japan, but since the quality of the actual magazine aren't that great they are most of the times fuzzy. (i.e. the Japanese Shounen Jump's printing quality is worse than your average newspaper). Just like fansubs, although I like being exposed to new series, I like the real thing in my hands.
Canuckian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
So, recently I've been wondering, how does one submit a question, not a rant or a banner, just a run of the mill question(And no, I'm no Fansub loving, Thinking I'm Goku Circa 1984, etc.)?

Anyway, that Flake is really a hyopcrite. The Flake Says you're not an Anime Fan, despite you being one of the creators of one of the most popular English Language Anime Websites out there, and then flaker says flaker wouldn't make fun of an Anime fan. But Flaker wrote an email trying to stick it to Zac, Zac= Anime Fan, so Flaker =a hypocrite.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:53 am Reply with quote
actually i tend to find the quality of scanlations to be lot better than the physical article, as most groups go to the trouble of actually detailing the art, and making it look better... this is just my opinion of course.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
So long as I get what's going on and the English is readable, I'm good. There are a lot of people out there like me.

We should totally party MAN!

w00t for neutrality!!!!!
Jariten
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
My hat goes off to the rant writer. I have heard literally hundreds of complaints from Japanese students here who feel they are slighted because they don't know about so-and-so's favorite anime.

I could get into the complaints from Japanese women about the stereotypes western men have about them, but it would require another rant, so I'll pass for now.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:09 am Reply with quote
Awesome banner Very Happy

The rant was pretty interesting. I agree it isn't right to badger a Japanese exchange student about anime but I'm not surprised to see anyone do so. Most people have their own preconceived notions on another culture. I was an exchange student in Germany and experienced similar situations. People were often disappointed if I wouldn't know anything about an American band or TV show they liked. And I was disappointed to find my exchange partner didn't want to go out drinking Anime smile + sweatdrop

As for scanlations, I'll admit I've read my fair share. I only read titles that are not licensed or the current chapters of a few long-running shounen titles that are ahead of the US release. I try to support the US manga market as best I can but censorship often leads me down another path...
PaladinBlue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
I can totally see where the ranter is coming from. My school as well is linked with a university in Japan (Prefectural University of Kumamoto, to be precise), and I know quite a few Japanese students. Now, they all know I like anime and manga and have interest in their culture, but that's about as far as it gets. Usually, when I see them in the cafeteria or in the hall before class, we'll talk about the instructors or classes we have, or complain about how hard our work is (I'm lying about it, though, because the only class I have this semester that is remotely hard is Japanese).

The big exception to that is one of the girls in my Media Studies class. She's helped me with my Japanese a bit (usually putting me on the spot while she's at it). But even then, we don't really talk about anime or anything related at all. And note that I make no secret of my fandom (I showed a full class last semester clips from five or six different series), so these people I know also know that I like Japan.

And I second the mention of Elfen Lied.
spoiler[The show practically shows one of the lolis getting raped by her father, for crying out loud.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
PaladinBlue wrote:
(I'm lying about it, though, because the only class I have this semester that is remotely hard is Japanese).

No offense, but you suck. Razz

A funny thing happened on the way to the Otakudom: I started getting interested in all of Japanese culture and history. Watching anime like Tenchi Muyo and Rurouni Kenshin years ago (Anime cry I'm old) made me want to learn about all the background stuff that made everything the way it was. Hopefully, that will translate into a special certificate I can add to my Bachelor of Science degree.

And the only way the "doomsday scenario" would feasibly come into play is during a Sweeps Month in which the local news station runs out of schlock.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
Higurashi...learning that makes me want to see it now. i didn't know it was that deep and i'm sure there were some spoilers there but whatever. I'm game.

I think i've met that same guy at my bookstore. I always hate to be in the manga section and some guy in a DBZ or Naruto t-shirt comes up to me saying that i'm way behind in naruto and he's up to *insert latest chapters here*

The rant was on point. I've seen that happen several times even in my Japanese class with the teacher. Once two boys figured out she didn't know about anime they left and withdrew. It was kind of sad actually because she seemed upset. Our feeble attempts to comfort her in Japanese made her feel better.

Good job Zac.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11