• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon / Bandai Visual USA Solicit Gunbuster 2 Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, it's getting an FLCL release! Screw that, I'm waiting 4 years for a super collection.
Heretic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
If they do a bang-up job with the releases (nice extras, packaging) I'll be willing to overlook the low episode count per disc. Two DVDs would have been nice, but they have to make their money I suppose.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:42 pm Reply with quote
This looks like it will be the standard since Demon Prince Enma only has the first two episodes as well. The current info is that these two titles are subbed only.and are listed at MSRP $40 ($120 for all three Gunbusters!) so they actually make the FLCL DVDs look like a deal. To top this off the booklets are only 16-20 pages long which is smaller than the book in the Gunbuster box set. I would expect a nice square bound book if I'm going to spend $120 for a six episode series.
AnalogNub

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Aww man its not going to be dubed! Evil or Very Mad I was really looking forword to gunbuster being dubed! This is the only show I cannot read and pay attention to whats happening on the screen. Please prove me wrong, DUB GUNBUSTER 2!
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
AnalogNub wrote:
DUB GUNBUSTER 2!

Well, it's not going to happen now man, it's March already.

I dunno, on one hand I didn't mind Gunbuster, and if I had to buy it based on singles alone, it would have been dumped two episodes in. However, it is a classic and a bit expensive, but no more expensive than the single FLCL release, so I thought "whatever" and went for it.

However, if I have to pay twice as much for Diebuster, with a lack of any kind of extras (which shouldnt add that much cost, honestly) except for a booklet, I really can't afford to take that dive. BV, please stop pricing stuff for the Japanese market for American release, it's just not a good idea at all.

Subsequently, if it were a two volume release, I can understand, but $20 USD (even with discounts, I still have to buy on Australian money, so it ends up costing relativley the same as full price for me) per episode is too rich for me (yes, I know the Japanese paid 5800 yen per episode with no subtitles, but thats the Japanese. We aren't. )
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
However, if I have to pay twice as much for Diebuster, with a lack of any kind of extras (which shouldnt add that much cost, honestly) except for a booklet, I really can't afford to take that dive. BV, please stop pricing stuff for the Japanese market for American release, it's just not a good idea at all.

Subsequently, if it were a two volume release, I can understand, but $20 USD (even with discounts, I still have to buy on Australian money, so it ends up costing relativley the same as full price for me) per episode is too rich for me (yes, I know the Japanese paid 5800 yen per episode with no subtitles, but thats the Japanese. We aren't. )

I'm with you on this how do you expect anyone to be interested in (or become interested) this series with a price like this. As for Bandai Visual going with the Japanese pricing for the US release, I don't understand how anyone would buy this series without already to prior seeing this. And I would like to see it, but no dub no extras, means no sale unless I find it for dirt cheap at Bestbuy after no one has bought it......just like the Patalabor Special Editions.
AnalogNub

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:13 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
I'm with you on this how do you expect anyone to be interested in (or become interested) this series with a price like this. As for Bandai Visual going with the Japanese pricing for the US release, I don't understand how anyone would buy this series without already to prior seeing this. And I would like to see it, but no dub no extras, means no sale unless I find it for dirt cheap at Bestbuy after no one has bought it......just like the Patalabor Special Editions.

I Completely agree with you but the show just looks (HDTVs FTW) and sounds soo good that its ALMOST making me want to get the DVDs.

Can anyone explain why there are two different DVD's of Gunbuster 2 listed on ANN?

Gunbuster 2 (DVD 1)

Gunbuster 2 (Sub.DVD 1)
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
And I would like to see it, but no dub no extras, means no sale unless I find it for dirt cheap at Bestbuy after no one has bought it......just like the Patalabor Special Editions.

How cheap were they? I preordered them for $58, and I thought it was well worth it. A far better deal than paying $43 for the Gunbuster set. As I mentioned on other posts I don't mind paying the price for 2 standard DVDs if the complete translated storyboard, another thick square bound book, a bonus DVD and a nice reflective box is included. I was rather letdown with the Gunbuster release with it's slightly bigger than (free) Funimation sized booklet, and short 5.1 animations as the only extras.
I really hope they go all out with the Wings of Honneamise release and include the storyboards, production notes, bonus discs etc. I'd be willing to pay that $15 difference.
Tribblewing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I just checked out the Bandai Visual site...

...how did they get Lark spelled "Lal'C"?! Ok, I could see how they did it, but whoever did it is still an idiot.
mpchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:55 am Reply with quote
Wow! $40 MSRP for 2 episodes?! Rolling Eyes

I was waiting for the domestic legit release on this for a little while, especially after getting the Gunbuser release. But this pricing is really out of wack. $20MSRP for 2 episodes is already asking a bit much. But now with $40, I don't think I want to wait that long til the cheap box set is out... might need to give up on this series. Sigh...
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote
Analog: What would have been great about a Gunbuster 1 dub is they could have gotten Toren Smith to play himself.

Randall: I don't know who the bleep Bandai Visual thinks they're foolin' but themselves that anyone would pay that much for a Go Nagai dvd outside of Japan. Hell, I'm still waitin' for ADV to release their Kekko Kamen and Shuten Doji OVAs as singles.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Analog: What would have been great about a Gunbuster 1 dub is they could have gotten Toren Smith to play himself.

Ha! That would have been pretty surreal. Laughing

Hey, anyone remember the days when Trish Ledoux used to do voiceacting? I know she was Princess Kahm in the original Outlanders dub, and I think she was a voice in Macross II, as well. Craziness....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Geez, I'm an Otomo fan, but not that big a fan! Hipira's starting to look cheap after seeing this price. Hellsing and Jojo are starting to look reasonable in comparison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1