• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Deltora Quest

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:21 pm Reply with quote
So finally after about a month of me being too busy with school or not willing to take on an another series, I watched the first episode of (Drum roll please)

Deltora Quest

As always this post contains elements from the first episode and I will put spoiler tag on anything that's goes beyond the basic summary

Without further delay Deltora Quest

So for the first 5 mins you have a narrator telling you what happened to this mysterious land and about a war, and how something terrible has happened to the king.....fast forward several years later the shadow lord has taking control of land and the people are being repressed.

When I first saw Lief I originally thought of Kite from .hack, something in the eye maybe reminded me of him.

The shadow lord seems like your basically evil force, reminds me a bit of Solomn from LOTR.

Ok one thing that sort of bother me at the comerical break the little squib has cards with the show's title and a character (Lief) on it, I hoping this series doesn't have any card battling....and it's just a cool way to come back from commerical breaks.

So Jarred (Lief's father) presents Lief with the Deltora belt and it's Deltora job to find the stones to bring the true heir (of this belt) forward to drive out evil.

When Jarred father describes where the gems have gone, and how he must find them, I was thinking of the Legend of Zelda (anyone else?) the only thing that's missing is a sword....oh wait he just got that from his father, and the cloak from his mother. He's now an official hero, all that missing is the princess.

Episode one ends with a little cliffhanger so I won't get into that, but I think that this series ha some potential. Although from my post it wouldn't seem that way, but then again all of these adventure anime have similar starts....it's more about the journey. Since I hear that this is very popular series I'll probably give this series a few more episodes before I decide if it's on the watch list.

P.S. Don't watch the next episode after the ending song (Which was nice) it's like Dragon Ball Z and tells you basically exactly what's happens to the characters in the next episode, or at least what I think.

P.S.S. My username has nothing to do with this story.....it's just a random happening.
bluepita

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Delta, please bear with me as I am treading in completely unknown waters here. Isn't there a series of children's books with a similar name? Is this based on those? I almost remember my daughter bringing home a book with that name, but she's not here for me to ask. Smile

Sorry if this is a silly question, lol.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
bluepita wrote:
Delta, please bear with me as I am treading in completely unknown waters here. Isn't there a series of children's books with a similar name? Is this based on those? I almost remember my daughter bringing home a book with that name, but she's not here for me to ask. Smile

Sorry if this is a silly question, lol.

Well that because your instinct's are right, it is based off a famous children book. According to the encyclopedia "Based on the eponymous series of childrens books by Australian author Emily Rodda." So to answer your question yeah.
bluepita

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Ah skimmed the encyclopedia too quickly it seems. Thanks and sorry about that.
Exaar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Deltora Quest is actually a quite lengthy series of books for young children by Australian author Emily Rodda. The original series is eight books, and then there are at least two other series I know of.. one is called Shadowland Chronicles and the other I forget.

It wouldn't surprise me if the series turns out to be pretty simple. The books are probably aimed at elementary school students. I work at a book store and we have most of them, so I was looking at them. They are about 150-200 pages long each and have very large type. Reading level 2.5 or 3.

That being said, maybe they beefed it up and made it a bit more mature when they made it into an anime? I dunno! I haven't actually watched it yet, just though I'd contribute what I know about the books.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading the first book of this series when I was much younger. Thought it was somethign else at first, but defently checking it out now :O

I really like how modern anime is using so much more stuff from Western and foreign liturature and such ^^
Trytan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I actually own every single one of these books and have read them multiple times. From what I see in the Encyclopedia, its just in Japan right now. Does anyone know when or if its coming to America?
Eruanna

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I have seen the first two episodes of this. Never read the books, though I hear that Leifs hair was originaly supposed to be black?
Anyways, I found it very entertaining. Although some of the special effects, like that SLASHSLASH scene change thing (If anyone knows what Im talking about) or the split panels in some places where a little silly, I still quite enjoyed it.

When it comes to high fantasy epics I'm a huge fan, but I have very, very high standards for this genre, so I end up not enjoying much (in anime, movies and novels) For example, I found The Twelve Kingdoms to be tedious and boring, and Record of Lodoss War made me want to retch. I find most things in this genre to be pretentious and tiresom.
Deltora Quest may not be a fountain of originality, but it dosnt pretend to be anything other then it is. Its a nice fantasy romp with action and adventure and quests to save the world. It isnt trying to be anything else, which is what I like about it. I find other titles in this genre are trying to pass themselves off as Lord of the Rings when they really, really fall short of that mark.

Deltora Quest though, isnt alot, but it isnt trying to be alot. Theres nothing deep here, its just a bit of fun, and I really appreciated it.

Also:
Quote:
The shadow lord seems like your basically evil force, reminds me a bit of Solomn from LOTR.

You mean Sauron right? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hisdon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:16 am Reply with quote
I still seriously WTB Stephen King's Dark Tower series animated xO

However, I'm not sure how the ending would go over w/ the viewers...personally I thought it was very fitting and appropriate. spoiler[I mean, think about it, he had 2 choices, restart button fitting that "ka is a wheel" or Roland dies, neither of which is pleasent. The one he chose also gives hope for redemption for Roland's sins]
gutted.with.broken.glass.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
haha, yeah i heard about this anime, i used to read the books when i was little. i loved them. i thought the cover art was so cool and gothic, haha. i cant wait to see what it looks like!
Hisdon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
gutted.with.broken.glass. wrote:
haha, yeah i heard about this anime, i used to read the books when i was little. i loved them. i thought the cover art was so cool and gothic, haha. i can't wait to see what it looks like!

Yea! I recall being at a bookfair in elementry school and the first one had just came out, had a really gothic looking knight on the front and captured my interest instnatly. Finished it the day I bought it and soon forgot about it, wish I'd of finished them.

Gotta check this out <_< (grabs pirate hat)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1