• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Summer 2013 reminiscing.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the summer 2013 season. It has a lot of great anime memories for me, both in shows themselves and things even just barely related to them.

I'd say my winner would be when two people who were very skilled at improv planned a pizza party to the theme of Attack on Titan. It's likely the season where I most often paused a show at the worst possible time. It also has the episode that took me the longest to actually watch.

phew. fond memories.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
I feel a little depressed now that it is all over.

It was the time of Tomoko's awkward situations. A time of a Japanese loving English girl, and a English loving Japanese girl. Where we watched anime about public servants working, or a fanservice swimming show for the ladies. Where the villain could be a freaky black and white bear robot that looked like a plushie, an aliene transvestite, or mad scientist with a staff. Young girls played basketball, play airsoft, dig graves, or try to save those corrupted into monsters. A boy could end up in the body of a dog, go after their step sister, expand their demon harem, or do their toughest conquest yet.

A vampire tried to resurrect the dead, a city boy learned how to work on a farm, and a Tanuki was proud of his idiot blood. There was a club that did nothing particular, a student council that researched love. Dolls that were AI from cards, and goddesses that were game consoles. This was Summer (Winter if you are in the southern hemisphere like me) 2013.

Also shorts that were random, or horrifying.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:14 am Reply with quote
It was a pretty good anime summer for me. I watched 20 TV series to completion: 18 titles that started in the summer and 2 that were carry-overs from Spring (Attack on Titan and Railgun S).

Here's my ranking in order of most awesome down to the not-quite-so awesome:

1. The Eccentric Family - Excellent - Forget about Pom Poko, THIS is how you handle tanuki material.

2. Attack on Titan - Very Good - disappointed the Jolly Green Giant didn't have a cameo.

3. Servant x Service - Very Good - I don't care how many names she has, I must have her.

4. WATAMOTE - Very Good - Best comedy about a future Texas Tower sniper ever.

5. Love Lab - Very Good - The show you thought would be yuri but it weren't.

6. Railgun S - Good - Electrifying.

7. The World God Only Knows: Goddess Arc - Good - I'd love to be this guy's wingman.

8. Sunday without God - Good - When did grave-diggers get so adorable?

9. Blood Lad - Good - With a set like that, I'd want to resurrect her, too.

10. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya - Good - Love the way the title of this one just rolls off the tongue with ease.

11. Fantasista Dolls - Good - I've sent a proposal to the makers for a sequel called Fantabrutha Dolls set in South-Central LA. Expect to hear back any day now. Yep, any day now.

12. (Buncha Italian words)-Daybreak Illusion - Good - Can't believe I watched - and enjoyed - three magical girl shows in the same season.

13. Silver Spoon - Good - have no interest in the hentai version of this that shows what aggie students REALLY do with livestock...

14. Recorder and Randsell Mi - Good - Answered the question, "What comes after doe and ray?"

15. Gatchaman Crowds - Decent - remember, kiddies, don't run with scissors in your hands, mmmkay?

16. Senyu Dai 2 Ki - Decent - A hero - not just a sandwich anymore.

17. Yami Shibai - Decent - Scarier than a Tea Party candidate becoming president.

18. Stella Women's Academy Blah-blah-blah - So-so - when all else fails, try the cake strategy.

19. Danganronpa the Animation - So-so - Slightly more amusing than Court TV. Slightly.

20. Dog & Scissors - So-so - Quick, somebody call the Humane Society!

So that's 1 excellent, 4 very goods, 9 goods, 3 decents and 3 So-sos. Not too shabby at all.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

Texas Tower Sniper?? Your age is showing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I know. But I felt like not enough people would recognize The Beltway Sniper. Hey, sometimes ya gotta reference the classics, amirite?
Ignatz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quote
Hajime alone made this season absolutely awesome. It's quite rare to come across a character with so much optimism. The only other one I know is Alice from Tweeny Witches.

From now on, Hajime is my favorite female character. Smile

Last edited by Ignatz on Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:53 am Reply with quote
For me it was 24 total (not counting movies/OVAs)
I ended up watching (and loving) all of 9 series, only dropping 2 and with a record breaking 13 shows on the pend list (either waiting for BD releases, a better time to watch them or just because I didn't have the time as they aired. Several are stuck at the halfway mark and will be blitzed this week). This is more than double the number of shows I usually pend, so I hope nothing gets in my way.

Winner for most unexpectedly enjoyable show: FANtaSISta DOLL~~~~~
Winner for favourite of the season: -VERY- close tie on Il Sole and Symphogear G
Winner for best improvement on a sequel: Symphogear G
Winner for show I showed to the most people who loved it: Watamote

Normally those awards tend to all go to the same series. Seeing them go to various different shows is a good sign.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
Hajime alone made this season absolutely awesome. It's quite rare to come across a character with so much optimism. The only other one I knew so far was Alice from Tweeny Witches.

From now on, Hajime is my favorite female character. Smile

I concur, it's a shame the anime itself sort of declined in quality towards the end in plot department. I would have liked more people to watch it but most likely half of the people would be annoyed by Hajime's antics. The concept and its emphasis on communication was very interesting take and it is something I would like more anime to try but without being too wordy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
Looked at the Summer guide to give a number of what I watched, and I watched a total 28 new anime:
Kimi no Iru Machi, Daybreak Illusion, Servant x Service, Monogatari Season 2, Symphogear G, Fantasista Doll, Senyuu season 2, High School DxD NEW, Kiniro Mosaic, Blood Lad, The Eccentric Family, Love Lab, Teekyuu 2, Stella C3-Bu, Danganronpa, Dogs and Scissors, Silver Spoon, Brother Conflict, Rozen Maiden (2013), Watamote, Free!, Gatchaman Crowds, Going Home Club, Ro-Kyuu-Bu! SS, World God Only Knows 3, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Sunday Without God, and Yami Shibai.

Of course Monogatari is a two cour anime, but Attack on Titan, Majestic Prince, and Railgun S had continued on from last season (so total 31 shows with 30 completed once I see the end of Going Home Club and Sympogear G). And in the mixes were OVAs from Fairy Tail, Busou Shinki, Papakiki, Mondaiji Tachi, Minami-ke, Muromi-san, Suisei no Gargantia, Ah! My Goddess, kamisama Hajimemashite, and Say I Love You. Also watched the Index Movie. That is twelve weeks for you. "Do I win" DuskyPredator asks as he shows that he spends far to much time on anime and requires lists to remember everything he watched.

From this list I will say:
The most surprisingly entertaining show: Fantasista Dolls
Sexiest show: High School DxD NEW (this is a straight male perspective, although that is kind of ironic)
Funniest show: Watamote (I probably revealed way too many personal experiences that matched up to what she went through and made it funny to me)

Favourite OP song: Secrets of the Godess (The World God Only Knows)
Favourite ED song: Owaranai Melody wo Utaidashimashita. (Sunday Without God)

Favourite Character: Plutia (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
Thanks for mentioning Yami Shibai. I forgot about that one. I forgot about Holmes too. I'm not counting Majestic Prince as a drop this season since I dropped it before this season started.

For OVAs there was Busou Shinki, Papakiki, Mondaiji, Rescue Me, TLR Darkness, Muromi, Ro-Kyu-Bu (waiting on BDs for the rest of s2), Minami-ke, Ika Musume, Gargantia, Demo Koi, OreImo, Corpse Party and Ah My Goddess... yeesh. I didn't even notice there were so many until I looked at a list. And there was only 2 of those that I didn't like.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
I forgot OreImo, although that may be from partially blocking off the memory. And I might have watched Rescue Me, although I think that was for better words "pretty filthy". Also trying to recall if I did watch the OVAs of Ika Masume, and Demo Koi. Yeah I think they were early on along with Ro-Kyu-Bu being right before the second season.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
It was an ok summer lineup for me, but I really didn't stick with most of the shows I started watching. Dog and Scissors fizzled a little for me despite the fact that I loved it at first. I think it was just starting to get too gimmicky for me to the point where I lost interest. I will probably marathon the episodes I didn't see at some point before the fall season really kicks in, but yea it was kind of a disappointment for me.

I watched Daybreak Illusion and Sunday Without God each week to completion. Both were entertaining, but Daybreak Illusion was much better in my opinion. Sunday Without God was the show I wanted to like, but it let me down. It was like the reverse of From the New World, which had a similarly dark tone at the start, but excelled in building upon its background story whereas Sunday Without God diverted drastically from that overarching background to focus more on an individual journey. Unfortunately I just did not find that individual journey to be all that compelling.

Hunter x Hunter continues to be pretty awesome every week and is probably my top current show, though Magi will enter that competition again once its second season starts. Attack on Titan is another very good continuing show. I haven't tried Railgun yet, but I sense that that show is right up my alley so I will probably try it out as well before I get too far into the Fall season.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this season was really weak for me for whatever reason. There were only a couple of shows that interested me enough to even start, and of those I only stuck with one: Il Sole Penetra le Illusioni. I liked that one though.

The others I tried were Silver Spoon, which I respect but I ended up not sticking with it because it was low key in a way that didn't really appeal to me, and I also tried C3 Bu, where IMO the idea was kind of interesting for a couple of episodes and then grew stale.

Here's waiting for next season, which is full of stuff I want to try out.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I don't mind that summer is over. Yes there a few anime I am going to miss like Attack on Titan, but fall season makes up for it. I mean this season is stacked as hell. Including the 2 cour anime that is still going, I am probably going to end up watching 24+ anime this season. The most I ever watched in a season was around 15. Good thing they are spread across the week.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Kamisama No InaiNichiyoubi was easily my favorite this summer....possibly this year.
.........not that it was obvious or anything. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2