• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beyond the Boundary (Kyoukai no Kanata) (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote

Beyond the Boundary (Kyoukai no Kanata) (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, drama, fantasy, psychological, romance
Themes: immortality, monster hunting, monsters, shapeshifting, urban fantasy, youmu

Plot Summary: Akihito Kanbara is a high school sophomore in the literature club who believes himself to be a "Meganest", and although he appears to be human, he is actually half Yōmu, which makes him invulnerable to wounds, due to the fact that he can heal so quickly, and also immortal. One day, Akihito meets freshman Mirai Kuriyama when it appears as if she is about to attempt suicide by jumping off of the school rooftop. Mirai is isolated because of her ability to manipulate blood, which is considered heresy even among other members of the underworld, so she is shunned. Soon after Akihito saves Mirai, disturbing events begin to arise.
----------------------------------

Crunchyroll link: http://www.crunchyroll.com/beyond-the-boundary

Hehe, for years some peeps wanted KyoAni to do some sort of action series again since their last foray on...oh man, Full Metal Panic: TSR; man that was quite some time ago!! So in the most part, I am quite hyped up for this considering they have shown competence in action scenes on other shows that are not entirely in the action genre. Of course I need to keep my expectations to moderate levels since there could be a chance this series could fall apart, and that would feel REALLY depressing. It is going to compete with other fantasy action series that are premiering this season so who knows.

Preview shots and summary of the 1st episode are out though. And I officially nickname Mirai temporarily Bucket-chan! Laughing

[EDIT: Title changed to include standardized English name. - Key]

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:29 am Reply with quote
I have read a bit of original LN and from what I have seen it is just crappy fantasy action high school series.However I will give this show a chance because:
a)Taichi Ishidate is a pretty good animator and I am interested in seeing what he can offer as a director.
b)Ishidate previously mentioned how he is going to insert a lot of action scenes,since this is KyoAni we are talking about they will most likely look [expletive] great.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the LN yet. I plan to though but as a fan of Kyoto Animation, I am definitely excited to check this out. The premise sounds interesting and anime series with this type of style is definitely something I'm interested in checking out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I have high expectations for this one.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I HAD high expectations of this one.
Seeing how pathetic they winded up Mirai, my expectations were already lowered. But then came all the stupid antics and I could hardly even finish it.
I could hope for the next episode to do better, but really I think it can't go anywhere after a pilot episode like this.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Decent first episode. I hope it follows the light novel and doesn't spoiler[shoehorn in a tacky romance between the two leads because they have zero chemistry together].
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I am having fun with this opening episode, yet I can see this show pissing people off on episode one based solely on our female lead.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I know nothing of the source material (I actually thought it was an original) but I'm giving it 2 more eps to take some shape or I'll drop it. Glasses girl really pisses me off despite me loving her visual design. She has many elements that I like too, so how she can annoy me so much is mysterious.

At least the chase scene was fun. The show's really pretty but on a KyoAni show visuals only give it +10%.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I had no problems with Mirai, in fact I thought she was a cute kohai. She takes the "Notice me Senpai" on a whole new level.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah... This pretty much turned out the way I expected. The animation is fantastic, but the characters... UGH. It's like Kyo-ani saw they lost money on Free!, and tried to shoehorn in every possible moe trope they could think of. I want to watch this for the awesome action scenes, but everything else is just painful to sit through.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

For a moment it felt like it was some sort of Chuunibyou sequel, except it seems that the delusional stuff is real. That actually seems to be what I feel they are going for, Mirai even has a bandage on her arm, is moe clumsy, but has some sort of cursed heritage that has her wanted. I think comparing Mirai to Rikka Takanashi, just as Akihito will get comparison to Yuuta, they are part of a hidden world which he has connections to but appears as a normal student. Just looking at the title brings it to mind, I would not be surprised there was some huge reveal that they were all acts of 8th grade syndrome. I will guess that the spoiler[ring in the preview is a power limiter], sounds perfect.

I really did not mind the first episode, the animation was typically great for KyoAni, and I can already tell that I will be liking this more than Free, the designs are much more pleasing to me than Free's. Mitsuki had a kind of Mio look, and it seems pretty obvious that she has a thing for Akihito, her jokes being a way to let off steam like telling him to die for getting involved in another girl. Shizuku seems to be continued evidence that KyoAni have not been using adult women to its full potential as she looked smoking. And I liked Mirai, of course she might be annoying if she stays an incredibly ditz who has no understanding of hurting others, not listening to them, and freezing up. But there is room for growth and finding out situations, it seemed pretty obvious to me that spoiler[she lost someone to the monsters], which talking about I am interested to see more of what they look like.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
So K-on meets Deadman Wonderland...

I think it would have been a perfectly acceptable episode for me if they could make up their minds what it is they want it to be. Is it a comedy or is it a dopey comedy? Is it serious or is it dark? Kind of like the character of Mirai. She is a tiny, cute, bumbling, clumsy, timid, airhead who is also an athletic, highly agile, bloody sword slashing badass. It feels like the character is trying to be too many things. When we got to the pail scene, it felt like that belonged in a different show. A show that was more of a dopey comedy. I like the character designs and the action, but this first episode felt like they just threw everything at a wall hoping for something to stick. I'll wait around another episode or two and hope they streamline some of their ideas and get a little more focused.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
So K-on meets Deadman Wonderland...

I think it would have been a perfectly acceptable episode for me if they could make up their minds what it is they want it to be. Is it a comedy or is it a dopey comedy? Is it serious or is it dark? Kind of like the character of Mirai. She is a tiny, cute, bumbling, clumsy, timid, airhead who is also an athletic, highly agile, bloody sword slashing badass. It feels like the character is trying to be too many things. When we got to the pail scene, it felt like that belonged in a different show. A show that was more of a dopey comedy. I like the character designs and the action, but this first episode felt like they just threw everything at a wall hoping for something to stick. I'll wait around another episode or two and hope they streamline some of their ideas and get a little more focused.

Well under wiki, it has Dark Fantasy as the genre, so I assume it will get dark sooner or later and maybe add a few moe scenes here and there.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
The animation is fantastic, but the characters... UGH. It's like Kyo-ani saw they lost money on Free!, and tried to shoehorn in every possible moe trope

Lost money? You mean, by far the most profitable series for them?
Possibly more profitable than K-On or Haruhi?

Also I don't think they care much about male audience. Not truly.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
I quite liked the first few minutes, I liked the boldness and things just casually happening. I wish Mirai was less of a wimp, but I still find the premise pretty cool and interesting and I'm really looking forward to learn more about the Spirit Warriors and youmu

v1cious wrote:
Yeah... This pretty much turned out the way I expected. The animation is fantastic, but the characters... UGH. It's like Kyo-ani saw they lost money on Free!, and tried to shoehorn in every possible moe trope they could think of. I want to watch this for the awesome action scenes, but everything else is just painful to sit through.

Oh yeah, they most definitely lost money on Free! I mean, it's only sold 28K on its first volume. Poor KyoAni must be going bankrupt after that misstep.

Let's also not forget how anime is made a day before it premieres, so they waited to see how Free was ruining them before they decided to put forth this project
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 21