• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Golden Time (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:40 am Reply with quote

Golden Time
Genres: comedy, drama, romance, supernatural

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Banri finds himself completely lost after the opening ceremony, trying to find his way to the freshman orientation. At that moment, he runs into another lost freshman from the same school, Mitsuo Yanagisawa, and they hit it off at once. Somehow arriving at their intended goal just on time, there appears in front of them a beautiful girl holding a bouquet of roses, who hits Mitsuo across the face with them and hands the flowers over to him. This stylish, well dressed, and perfect woman is his childhood friend Kōko Kaga. As children, they had promised to marry each other one day, fulfilling their dreams. In order to escape from her, Mitsuo had gone out secretly and taken the examination for this well-known private college, but she also took the law school entrance examination, catching up with him there. Banri Tada is a newly admitted student at a private law school in Tokyo. Due to the after-effects of an accidental fall from a bridge shortly after high school graduation, he lost all his memories from before then. At the time of the accident, Banri's soul had escaped from his body, and the "Spirit of Banri Tada" came into being, carrying his memories from before graduation.

This looks exciting tbh. I haven't read the LN yet but I am confident in the fact that JC Staff will deliver a decent series. With a supernatural theme added in, this should add even more twists. I heard the first episode already pre-aired but this looks really exciting.

The recent preview also came out on the anime spotlight section.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Loved the first episode.

Hate that spoiler[amnesia] will now come into play.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this is my most anticipated anime for Fall 2013. A romantic comedy that takes place in college and is written be the author of Toradora? Count me in.

Ep 1

So universities in Japan also have opening day ceremonies? The stadium was packed. There was probably 10 thousand students in the building. I really don't like it when the OP song sequence ruins what is going to happen. I mean it was expected that spoiler[Banri would eventually end up with Kouko] since this was made by Toradora's author. Anyway it was a great first episode. I noticed a few of the scenes were exaggerated compared to the first manga chapter.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Strange. I like her design in the novel covers. As for this animated version to her character design -- that'll take some getting used to.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Heh, totally loved the dynamic between the female lead and the friend. You'd expect an actively chasing guy and a tsundere girl, but it was the reverse. Looks like between this, Kill la Kill, and South Park, Thursdays from here on out will be really busy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
This guy would've had a freakin heart attack if he knew how many people were late to every opening ceremony I've ever been to. Hell, the principal was late to my grade 10 highschool opening ceremony so the vice principal told us the story of when he and some friends were camping and they got raided by bears.

So we have a young adult drama with no particular special angle? I dig it. None of their jokes were funny and none of the characters left a mark on me yet but I'll certainly give it some more episodes to identify itself. It gets bonus points for keeping it simple.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
It was a cute opening episode for a comedy, but a minor gripe is that the "club scouting scene" probably didn't need to be played over the top simply to show that Banri was feeling overwhelmed for a moment, it didn't feel in line with how the episode was played out with say Banri meeting Mitsuo or the "speak of the devil" gag for Koko's introduction.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Actually I found it really cut away from future Koko scenes. It created a bar of craziness which is measured to the world and not to the character.

spoiler[Beating somebody with roses] is delightfully odd. But that was made extremely normal because of an onslought of spoiler[samba dancers].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I found the first episode very underwhelming. I love Toradora! but I feel in love with that show right away. Not ready to give up on this one yet, but it definitely hasn't grabbed me out of the gate.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I found the first episode very underwhelming. I love Toradora! but I feel in love with that show right away. Not ready to give up on this one yet, but it definitely hasn't grabbed me out of the gate.

Maybe you just like them younger Wink
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Yay doesn't take place in high school! Let's see if that makes any difference...

My favorite part was definitely the flower beat down. The overabundance of hearts, flowers and stars in the OP made me want to go gag in a corner though. Everything else was kind of meh.

So far, the characters aren't doing anything for me, but its still way early. Besides I loved Toradora! so I'm willing to give this show a few episodes to change my lukewarm feelings about the first episode.

Megiddo wrote:
Hate that spoiler[amnesia] will now come into play.
Oh, please say that you're kidding. Because I already hate that in manga. Is it just an epidemic in Japan or something?
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I moused over the spoiler by accident. Completely my own fault, but... really? Seriously?

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

One of the things that made Toradora so enjoyable was that it just... was. It didn't have lame gimmicks.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Er, I don't honestly know. I've never followed this series. However I did read the plot synopsis in the opening of this thread which all-but-stated that's what the 'gimmick' of the series will be.

Now what I figured the story was setting up (and this is conjecture but I'll still spoiler it) is that spoiler[The girls that were introduced (except for the main girl) Chinami and the senpai who helped bandage his cut were previous love interests of the main character before he lost his memories or perhaps just good childhood friends.]
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Er, I don't honestly know. I've never followed this series. However I did read the plot synopsis in the opening of this thread which all-but-stated that's what the 'gimmick' of the series will be.
Oh, crap you know what I think I had read a more condensed version of the synopsis before that didn't include the gimmick and I didn't bother reading the one at the top. Ok, yeah this show just dropped a couple of pegs for me. Its going to have to be really fantastic now to hold my attention more than a few episodes.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I didn't read the description at the top, actually. I'm going into this season largely blind. Actually I kind of stopped reading those descriptions anyway because anime tends to like to throw a curve ball after only a few episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 22