• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I couldn't become a hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job. (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote

I couldn't become a hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job. (TV)

Genres: comedy, fantasy, romance, slice of life
Themes: ecchi, fanservice, harem, part-time job

Plot Summary: Raul had always wanted to be a hero, but the demon king was defeated, leading to the end of hero exams. He reluctantly took a job working at a small electronics store called Magic Shop Leon. His life is dull but busy until a new girl comes applying for a part time job. She's the daughter of the defeated demon king.
----------------------------------

The past year there has been 4 anime about a Hero and Demon combo; Hagure Yuusha no Estetica (Rouge Hero and daughter of Demon lord), Maoyu (Hero and Demon Queen), Hataraku Maou-sama! (Demon King and Hero), and now Yusibu (Pre-hero and daughter of Demon lord). The first episode was cute, but I doubt this will be as good as Maou-sama.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't into it much honestly. Ofc, I was expecting the fan service but some of the characters wasn't appealing to me. Just my opinion although I hope it will improve soon.

Also, maybe BD's will be uncensored.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I felt more of a Working! vibe if anything, maybe it will surprise in the next few episodes, but if it follows the trend of the first it is simply "normal worker's life with mystical backdrop thrown in".

That and a lot of blatant jiggly boobz and panty shotz.

As far as first episodes this batch, this one might be the most "meh" for me atm.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I like tits so I'll probably keep watching but I'll most likely shelve it until the BDs come out just because fanservice shows are usually best like that although they didn't seem to throw light beams everywhere on this. You could clearly tell nipple shape and everything.

Apart from that obvious hook I still found it enjoyable. I like how it's still a magical world in a contemporary style and the girls are really cute. There's a chance for future action elements and I always liked the "working the store" angle.

And hey, a spoiler[perverted Patrick Stewart] parody. I've gotta give it bonus points for that.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
meet raul a hero in training who prepare to a real hero battle person til demon lord "bought it" cue 2 years later now raul is working in a magical best buy store?!

give raul working it well just work to do til meet fino a person who now hired work in magical best buy & oh it's a demon lord's kid so raul give a to z of working magical best buy to fino then oops liquid spill yet fino is a girl?!

so yea from hero in training to magical best buy worker oh the hero in training has fallen.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Manyuu Hikenchou, Seikon no Qwaser, To Love-Ru Darkness, and other titles in that league have really just made series like this, where the nudity would be the only redeeming factor, kind of obsolete. At least in those other series there tends to be something else to hold your attention besides the superabundant sexual fanservice, like interesting characters, but Yuushibu isn't totally doing it for me. I'll give it a few more episodes, but I think I need to learn how to drop anime.

Here's to hoping World's Strongest isn't the same type of weak show. At least Hiraku Kaneko's Maken-ki 2 comes in Winter, and if you don't know that dude's MO, check out his body of work.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the MC got a taste of Touma's daily life at the end, saying something very familiar in response. Smile I anticipate more antics to come!
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
At first glance this sounded good.
Then I saw all the bO.Obs and decided to drop this.
Looks like this is gonna be more about fan service then anything else.
Clumsy awkward girls and lots of fan service...
Dropping it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
Well, we are several rungs lower on the comedic ladder than The Devil is a Part-timer, that's for sure. But I found it kinda cute. I'll watch a few more, but in this crowded season I know the pressure to cut under-performers will intensify so I can't say for sure if I'll be around until the end at this point.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I would have watched this show for the fantasy shown at the very beginning, got me very excited in watching it, but then it suddenly changed. I would watch this for being about working, in a way that it feels similar to Working!. I would watch this for how it messes with the standard hero demon lord thing. Put the two together and unfortunately I can only say one thing..... I am in love. Especially with the moe art style I would follow this, the ecchi are merely cherries on the top. Bouncing cherries coming from a petite demon girl with fangs pointed ears, and who can switch into demon lord mode as a cashier.

This is what I wanted, all of you can complain but this is the type of anime I want. All of you who were saying shows were great that I could not see where you were coming from (tanuki, really?) can suck it. I will be true to myself and say that I love the setting, I know some are complaining about ecchi, but it isn't that bad. This is what I was waiting for. I am also directly reminded of something that I have been writing lately, and I wonder if I will get some ideas from this.

I like Fino, and if I don't find a better character soon you can expect her to sitting next to this post (I am talking about my avatar). Tomboyish, honest, really light hair, can act like a demon lord, a bit naïve, energetic, and although calling out the guy as a pervert in a compromising situation she actually listens to him and makes a character judgement to not get angry in a different situation.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I like that Raul doesn't overreact to boobs, and Phino is pretty adorable. I'll definitely keep watching this
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, there's a mini-trend going on for me where some titles where I was kind of underwhelmed by the first episode (this one and Golden Time, for example) have come back with stronger second eppies and sucked me in a bit. This one still isn't operating at a super high level, but unless I'm just stoned, I seem to be seeing signs of improvement.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
ep.2

spoiler[raul on way to work give how mana & household item work together give doing well while fino living in staff room & oh meet 2nd in command manger who explain mana blow dryer.

so raul give fino learning how to be good worker even hand write to say right words give after clean outside give giant bee trying want to do "raul slash" but not.

then oh blonde female from raul's hero training school appear going why raul you're working on magical best buy & not a hero give raul explain reasons give been 6 months of job interview cause no hero employment yet happen give she just forget it raul.

fino meet axe guy give wonder yet confuse axe guy til raul arrive mention that a thief cue fino to scare axe guy & save the shop now raul had dinner meet with fellow hero in training members give still want to be heroes.

raul after having dinner check on fino yet she manage do her homework well give raul still mix feel on being magical best buy worker or being a hero.

& next day raul find out fino got now her own place to live but it's next door to raul's place. ]
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
just glad that they toned down the amount of breast jiggling and panty shots compared to the first episode lol.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
I hope that we get to see Raul in full-form one of these days...

The first time I heard of Lawson, by the way, was in Evangelion 1.11 and that was just a passing reference. I wouldn't even have known they were a real chain of stores unless one of my Japanese friends told me.

They seem to be investors in this show or something. I wonder how far the cross-promotion goes? If I walked into a Lawson would I see cardboard standees and art books? Do they approve of all the fan services?

And where are all those nipples I was supposed to see?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6