• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
I have no idea who the first person you are refering to is.

spoiler[Mine is Ayame's assistant at his dress shop. She was the one dressed like a maid when Yuki and Tohru visited Ayame's store. She also appeared when Ayame came to the school to help costume the class for their Cinderella play. ]

Hope that helps! Very Happy

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I'll say it right now that as we get towards the end of our character discussion (still another 8-10 weeks away) Mine is not going to be one of the characters discussed, she doesn't have enough background for whatever issues that she may have had, which in the series Takaya didn't show any about her at all. She would come up in Ayame's past, which were more about him than her. Her character was more of one who was minor, but I did make it a point that we were to talk about her during Ayame's time in the spotlight.

Anyways, the hint tonight will obviously be spoilers, but I think I'll leave out the biggest hint about this character for a later time.
Hint: spoiler[Things can't seem to stay straight with her, she must make it messy. Silent, with something missing in her heart. Though she competed against her brother, he still watches out for her.]
I think that last one is a better indicator than the first one.
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of hoping Mine might crop up again in a larger role. She's one of the more interesting side characters. I hoped to find out more about her. Oh well.

I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts on the next character. I'll try to converse where i can, but I doubt I'll have much to add. (Not that I've had a great deal to add to the conversation in recent weeks anyhow.) I also look forward to reading more about her in future volumes.

Speaking of future volumes, Amazon says vol. 16 is coming out April 10. Woohoo!! Less than a month to go! Very Happy

OT: Happy St. Patrick's Day to all my fellow Fruits Basketholics. I hope it is enjoyable for you all. My family name is Murphy, and we trace our roots to Ireland, but we don't do much for St. Patrick's Day. I may go out for refreshments later, though. Wink

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Speaking of future volumes, Amazon says vol. 16 is coming out April 10. Woohoo!! Less than a month to go!

Hmm, for some reason I had thought that it was already out. ALthough it'll be volume 17 that will really reveal things about our next character. Perhaps I said too much Embarassed
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Anyways, the hint tonight will obviously be spoilers, but I think I'll leave out the biggest hint about this character for a later time.
Hint: spoiler[Things can't seem to stay straight with her, she must make it messy. Silent, with something missing in her heart. Though she competed against her brother, he still watches out for her.]
I think that last one is a better indicator than the first one.

Oh, OH! I think I know who it is! Is it spoiler[Machi?]
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Hi all!!

Before we get into our next conversation, I just wanted to say I finished the anime last night. And, wow, you guys were right about that final episode.

The whole spoiler[Akito being born to die issue felt like it came out of nowhere, especially since the series gave it only one line of explaination. It makes me wonder if the director was at a loss to explain Akito's erratic behavior throughout the series and came up with the born to die idea as a solution.]

I also didn't care for the way the anime handled spoiler[Kyo's true self. ]

In the manga, spoiler[it was a nice scene between Kyo and Tohru. Kyo lashes out at and injures Tohru because he's afraid of her rejection and wants to push her away first. Tohru's afraid of what Kyo's become but doesn't want him to run away. To me, that scene in the manga was all about Kyo feelings for Tohru and and Tohru's acceptance of Kyo. It was probably the first time they expressed to each other how they felt. And afterward, the manga focuses more on Kyo and Tohru doing things together, building that relationship. ]

Not that the anime didn't cover much of the same ground, but spoiler[I didn't care for the way that scene became a parade for almost all the other characters. Akito shows up to taunt Tohru, Hana and Uo lend Tohru support in the cemetary, and Yuki shows up to help Tohru deal with the monster cat. Kyo still lashes out at Tohru, but he injures Yuki, cheapening that manga moment where he hurts the one he loves because he's trying to run away.]

Still, those scenes played out very nice. Maybe spoiler[having Yuki with Tohru in that moment was the director's way of showing Yuki wanted to try and make peace, giving some sense of closure to the Kyo-Yuki relationship since the anime was ending.]

Overall, the anime is still and excellent series. Funny, sad, touching, you name it. And, I can't fault the anime creators for trying to end the series somehow when it was still very early in the manga. I might feel differently about those scenes I mentioned if I had seen the anime first. Very Happy

Now that I've seen the series, I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on the final episodes. What were your impressions?

-Murph
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote
When i first saw anime, i didn't read manga and i liked it especially humor and Akito. The ending at first wasn't so bad, and surprising It was clear for me from the beginning that it will be spoiler[happy end.] But when I tried to watchI it again after reading manga i didn't liked it so much. Probably because i started like Shigure in the manga and I ended reading it only for Shigure and Akito. So when I was watching it again, anime bored me even if I felt slight sympathy towards Kagura, Momiji, Hatori and Hiro.
Besides I find Toru less annoying in the manga, and i didn't like this added scen, for example whenspoiler[Shigure cry, it was completely out of character even if considering only the anime, all the time he was hilarious and seeing him cry was weird and made me thinking "what the hell he is doing"]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Our views of certain things are different when they are viewed in a certain format first. So with that, many of the posters here in the FB manga thread have come to agree that the ending of the anime series was cheap. This ending would be an understanding to why Takaya sensei wasn't happy with it, and they haven't made a season 2. Personally I'd like to see them not make it, who knows what they'll do with a great storyline only to see it turn into something you're not expecting at all.

Welcome to Machi week!! She's not quite a talker at the time that she comes into series, but indeed has a complex background for which you feel and wonder if there is a way to help her out. As we see, spoiler[Yuki has been trying to understand how Machi sees things, why things or rooms get messed up when she's by herself, and why she's so quiet. For one I think she was an excellent character to develop because not only does she know of how Yuki has felt at times, especially feeling alone,] but ultimately in the end (BIG SPOILER!!!)spoiler[she becomes Yuki's love interest.]

Characters related to Machi:
- Kakeru
- Yuki
- Nao
- Kimi
- The Prince Yuki Fanclub
- Machi's Parents

Looking forward to evreybody's opinions.

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Good thing I've recently re-read my FB volumes...whew!

Well, like I said in my previous post, I think that I'm going to like Machi. I enjoyed the way that spoiler[she quietly faced down the PYFG's and said that she didn't see Yuki as a "prince" but as a person with troubles of his own. Or at least a regular human being.]

As to why she spoiler[destroys rooms, well I don't have an answer for that (as yet) but, just guessing, the poor kid has to do something to relieve the stress and anxiety she's going through. While I haven't see all of it yet, from Kakeru's description in the volumes that I have, he and Machi have gone through hell in regards to who is their Father's heir. At least Kakeru's mother got the point.]

I think Machi and Yuki spoiler[are or will be drawn to each other because of the fact that their parents are very much alike in their greed. And I think that, now that Yuki realizes that he wants Tohru as a "mother." they will be able to heal each other's wounds.]

If there was to be another season of FB, I'd like them to do what was done with Negima...just re-do the entire thing. Because there where things said/done in the anime that were not part of the manga canon and they would have to scramble to "correct" those issues. Besides, if they didn't completely re-do, people would be confused as to spoiler[Shigure's plot to end the curse and that was brought up fairly early on in the manga since he said he didn't care who hated him in the end, that he was already dirty. I don't remember anything like that in the anime - but then, it's been a while since I've watched the anime...too much new stuff to watch.]
murph76

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
If there was to be another season of FB, I'd like them to do what was done with Negima...just re-do the entire thing. Because there where things said/done in the anime that were not part of the manga canon and they would have to scramble to "correct" those issues. Besides, if they didn't completely re-do, people would be confused as to spoiler[Shigure's plot to end the curse and that was brought up fairly early on in the manga since he said he didn't care who hated him in the end, that he was already dirty. I don't remember anything like that in the anime - but then, it's been a while since I've watched the anime...too much new stuff to watch.]

I like that idea! Especially now that the manga's complete (in Japan, anyway), they can have a proper ending. And you're right about Shigure. His spoiler[plot to break the curse was completely glossed over in the anime. Aylinn brings up a good point, too. Shigure's weeping for joy when Tohru and Kyo return in the anime does seem out of character for him.]

Still, I did enjoy the anime. I'm considering buying it. I bought the Fruits Basket OST last week. It's a good listen.

As for Machi, I'm still trying to figure her out. spoiler[I agree with LydiaDianne. Machi doesn't seem to be able to handle the family stress she's under, and destroying rooms is a way to release that.]

Machi spoiler[does have a caring and understanding older brother in Kakeru. Despite his usual goofball attitude, when Machi's in trouble or wrecked something he becomes very serious. He makes excuses for her and cleans up after her all while keeping quite that they're related. I've always wondered why it's a secret to most that they're half-siblings. But I think it's because Kakeru realizes Machi wouldn't be able to handle the stress of the questions it would bring up. Questions like why they have different family names and different living arrangements. That probably would dredge up a lot of unpleasentness for Machi.]

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:

I like that idea! Especially now that the manga's complete (in Japan, anyway), they can have a proper ending. And you're right about Shigure. His spoiler[plot to break the curse was completely glossed over in the anime. Aylinn brings up a good point, too. Shigure's weeping for joy when Tohru and Kyo return in the anime does seem out of character for him.]

I agree. I think that Shigure would have spoiler[smiled then made some sort of smart-assed remark about it. Then would have gone on and found another way to torment Hatori or his poor editor.]

Quote:
As for Machi, I'm still trying to figure her out. spoiler[I agree with LydiaDianne. Machi doesn't seem to be able to handle the family stress she's under, and destroying rooms is a way to release that.]

Machi spoiler[does have a caring and understanding older brother in Kakeru. Despite his usual goofball attitude, when Machi's in trouble or wrecked something he becomes very serious. He makes excuses for her and cleans up after her all while keeping quite that they're related. I've always wondered why it's a secret to most that they're half-siblings. But I think it's because Kakeru realizes Machi wouldn't be able to handle the stress of the questions it would bring up. Questions like why they have different family names and different living arrangements. That probably would dredge up a lot of unpleasentness for Machi.]

I think that you're right that spoiler[Kakeru's and Machi's being related is kept quiet because she would not be able to handle the public sneering that would occur because of it. That and the questions. Making a generalization here (and please correct me if I'm wrong) Japanese (and American) society can be pretty unforgiving if you are different and your father having a child by his mistress and openly acknowledging said child certainly makes you different.]
murph76

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I think that you're right that spoiler[Kakeru's and Machi's being related is kept quiet because she would not be able to handle the public sneering that would occur because of it. That and the questions. Making a generalization here (and please correct me if I'm wrong) Japanese (and American) society can be pretty unforgiving if you are different and your father having a child by his mistress and openly acknowledging said child certainly makes you different.]

Yeah, you're right. spoiler[Young people, high schoolers, (and some of people I work with Rolling Eyes ) don't need much encouragement to pick on others for the smallest of reasons. Though Machi is the legitimate child in this situation, I imagine the talk about her father would push her deeper into her shell.]

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
You guys bring up a good point. Especially when spoiler[there are girls at the high school that are crazy about one guy, and she's already said stuff to offend them, so that would bring her more under fire.]
The whole thing about spoiler[the inheritance issue was Kakeru and Machi competed to see who was going to get their father's inheritance, and they did it by who was the smartest. Both of them weren't so happy and they were quiet all the time, just doing what their parent's told them to do. Then Kakeru was the first to snap, and realized he didn't want to do that anymore, and his mom got the idea. ]
Here's the thing with Machi. spoiler[Her parents finally had a boy, and her parents with that issue solved discarded Machi like her efforts up to that point were nothing. So that's when she snapped to make a mess of things. There's something else that came up but I'll let you guys ponder on that one.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Here's the thing with Machi. spoiler[Her parents finally had a boy, and her parents with that issue solved discarded Machi like her efforts up to that point were nothing. So that's when she snapped to make a mess of things. There's something else that came up but I'll let you guys ponder on that one.]

So Machi spoiler[has another brother besides Kakeru? And because of him, she was tossed aside like used toilet paper? Is that correct? If so, boy, does that sound familar. No wonder she and Yuki will get along well. Her parents are very much like some of the Sohma parents.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, fighterholic, boy, you were tough in closing that discussion about the finale of the anime! Wink Laughing Can I say something about the ending too? Confused Well, I changed my mind! With fighterholic so serious.... there's no time to joke, so I'll get to the point since I waited for that damn hint so much that afterwards my stupid internet connection failed! Laughing

Machi... Like you guys were already revealed by fighter, spoiler[Machi has a brother and I think that this time it's not a really nice thing to have. For the very first time I see a wounded character so much that it made get so annoyed with the stupid parents in this manga. After I sympathized with Rin, Momiji and Kyo so much because of their parents and then came Yuki, I thought that it might be enough for this manga. But no, they had to bring Machi's parents who are not only unloving and uncaring persons but they are also paranoid. If I'm not mistaken] and correct me if I'm wrong fighterholic, (BIG SPOILER AHEAD!) spoiler[but didn't they think that Machi wanted to kill her little brother because she was jealous? Or at least they, these stupid parents, thought like this! I got so annoyed back then to know and see that some parents might actually think that way. I have also a little sister (well, she's not little anymore but you get my point) and my parents never thought that I might harm her in that particular way.]

Perhaps this is why she feels the need spoiler[to trash rooms. Not only because the perfection that it was demanded from her was too big but also the fact that it was reminding her that perfection is always needed and admired by people but never loved. She was admired by her parents as long as she was the greatest but then when her little brother came no one was interested anymore in seeing what she was doing and how she was handling her life. This is why I loved so much Yuki's gesture: when he took a piece of chalk and broke it so as there wouldn't be any order for Machi to trash. Got to love this man sometimes! He does know how to do subtle things!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 57 of 170