• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No attendance cap at Otakon 2007

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yoda117

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:18 am Reply with quote
Okay, can I call it now that there will be complaints about the overcrowding?

Regardless, I don't see this as a bad move for them as an organization. Last year, Otakon had its worst year in terms of growth due to the attendance cap. Too many people thought that there would be no registrations left and they ended up with only 500 people more than in 2005 (I'm guessing on that part, but it was only like a 2-3% increase over the prior year).

The interesting thing will be to see how much of an affect having so many large cons in such a short time frame will have on Otakon. With ANEXT and AE so close to Otakon, you know there will be some kind of effect.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
I just hope Zac calls us all northeastern gorillas like he did last year. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darcerin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
I *think* Otakon was planning to move some of their events across the street to the First Mariner Arena, so that there wouldn't so much overcrowding. Whether or not that has actually happened, someone from the Otakon team will have to confirm.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how there can absolutely be no attendance cap and still have things run safely. I am staff for the Animaritime convention and we had to cap our attendance for the first time this year because we were at the convention center's capacity limit. Maybe Otakon's limit is really high, but there has to be some number that, if surpassed, would lead to a fire hazard.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
Being at Otakon these last couple of years, I can see how they could concievably stuff more people inside the BCC to begin with. Also, remember, Baltimore, especially the touristy Inner Harbor area, is filled with space Otakon could be using, like Rams Head for example.
Eos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
Last year, Otakon had its worst year in terms of growth due to the attendance cap. Too many people thought that there would be no registrations left and they ended up with only 500 people more than in 2005 (I'm guessing on that part, but it was only like a 2-3% increase over the prior year)..

It kept those under 18 (with no credit/debit cards) from pre registering.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Meccanica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
The BCC actually has a lot more room than is used, from what I know. Everything tends to get overcrowded because it's all in a few main areas of the building... I think the biggest issue will be fixing the location of the rooms. I've always been annoyed at the way the video rooms were all in different places, and at having to walk a really long distance through a crowd just to take a peek at some event. If they don't organize it a little better, the quality of the event is going to go in the tank.

Btw, I think the BCC's capacity is something above 27,000.
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I think it's good for Otakon as a whole but I also think that people will definitely complain about overcrowding.

I just hope the con is more interesting and is better organized than last year's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1