• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Non Non Biyori (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote

Season 1 - Non Non Biyori (TV)
Season 2 - Non Non Biyori Repeat (TV 2) (discussion starts here)
Season 3 - Non Non Biyori Nonstop (TV 3) (discussion starts here)

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: friendship, iyashikei, school life

Plot Summary: Asahioka Branch School, a combined elementary and middle school in an isolated village, has only five students total, four girls and one boy. The girls are best friends, and pass the season with traditional activities like harvesting mountain herbs and fishing.
----------------------------------

Episode 1
Well that was cute.

I read parts of the manga before and it gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I think I got the same feeling here as well. OST was pleasant anyways. OP song seems cute too!

Dat spoiler[dodgeball]. Mondays are going to be adorable this Season.

Last edited by Stark700 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
So serene. All them delicious country backgrounds. This lived up to everything I hoped it would be when I saw the trailer. Definitely will continue to watch.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Well it looks like this is going to be the only cute girls doing cute things show this season, so I will be watching it. Damn Hotaru is tall. She is only in the 5th grade and she is already as tall as the teacher. Meanwhile the 8th grader, Komari, is barely taller than the first grader, Renge. I wonder if the guy is every going to talk or is just going to be used for comedic purposes like falling down the hole.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, look at the backgrounds. Look at the establishing shots and the landscapes and holy F, this is the prettiest show I've seen in a long, long time.

It's chill pace surprised me, I expected a kind of Minami-ke frenetic-ism to it, but it's really a chill show. The outstanding scenery with the good music and pleasant characters all rolls up into a nice relaxant against all the action-orientated shows that this season is producing.

I'll follow this and I hope that it (a) keeps this chill, relaxing mood and (b) keeps the amazing quality of the art at the bar that its set.

Last edited by ZorgonXtreme on Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brett-Butler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I decided to watch this one was because nano.RIPE, the group responsible for my favourite OP song of 2012, and my 2nd favourite opening/ending song of 2013, did the opener for this one. I was disappointed by their contribution, but not by the show itself.

Incredibly sweet, with some great relaxed humour, like spoiler[Ren spending the episode trying to work out whether she's from the country], and one major laugh out loud moment, spoiler[when Background-kun falls through the floor].
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
This is a completely relaxing series, which means the audience should ONLY watch this if they want to drift there worries away watching "cute girls do cute things in the country side", and just to specify the cute as in "if I had daughters, I wish they were this precious" way.

Trying to watch this series for any other reason will just infuriate any other type of viewer.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that the two girls who are in middle school grades are wearing uniforms. What could be more natural. They dispense with formal classes but can't let the students wear what they want. I assume the guy is wearing a uniform also but he doesn't make a lasting impression.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I find it interesting that the two girls who are in middle school grades are wearing uniforms. What could be more natural. They dispense with formal classes but can't let the students wear what they want. I assume the guy is wearing a uniform also but he doesn't make a lasting impression.

I didn't even notice that, but yeah the guy had a uniform too. I guess they want to make it as normal as possible.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Non Non? More like Oui Oui Biyori for me. It's just too, too charming and cute.

Hey, but don't tell anyone I like it. I've got an image to maintain.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

KAWAII! *my reaction*

This was so adorable, it will probably replace Kiniro Mosaic. It was in general charming with Renge every so often providing some music. I find Renge so cute, some aspect reminded me of Saki from Kanamemo, Chiaki from Minami-ke, or Rinko from Natsuiro Kiseki.

When Hotaru said it was her spoiler[key] I quickly figured out that the other girls would find it weird to spoiler[lock a door], you often hear about people have no reason to spoiler[lock] finding it weird that others do. My favourite part was with the tanuki, it was differently styled to how we usually see tanuki in anime, a more realistic look felt cuter to me. I laughed when the spoiler[tanuki did no tricks after Ringe whistled and they rose our expectations]. Laughing
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Non Non? More like Oui Oui Biyori for me. It's just too, too charming and cute.

Hey, but don't tell anyone I like it. I've got an image to maintain.

Don't worry, we'll pretend you hate this because it has little girls, deal?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
This was one of the titles I was anticipating, I can never get enough of slow paced pastoral anime, or just things that take place outside of a city environment. Even just series with smaller towns feel so unique, like in Natsuiro Kiseki. I have wondered in the past with series and movies like that (Wolf Children most recently) and still wonder if there's sort of a pastoralism movement in Japan where they want people to populate the countryside to keep traditions in small villages going. Like, if your town isn't a tourist destination or a fishing village, what's there to do? This the Japan without the famed rail transit, you'd probably get at best a 1 or 2 car train that runs on a sparse schedule that will take you into more popular areas before you can even get on a normal train, forget about bullet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:40 am Reply with quote
I mentioned this in the preview thread but I'll repeat it here: this series seems very inspired by a Japanese live-action film called A Gentle Breeze in the Village. It too took place in the country and revolved around a handful of students in different grades in an almost abandoned school. The transfer student is male, however, as opposed to female. Anyway, it's easy to find this subbed online and if you like this show, chances are you'll dig the flick (I loved it when I saw it at the Toronto film festival a few years back).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:24 am Reply with quote
@ Blood-
That makes me think of some doujin I have read, although the general storyline goes differently. You can use your imagination how.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:06 am Reply with quote
I couldn't help but feel bad for the lonely guy...i mean, why is he even there? It's not like he was much of a comic relief either, except for that one scene, he's just pretty much invisible to everyone. Sad

That aside, the scenery is beautiful and the girls are interesting enough, i might have watched this if i wasn't already following so many other shows this season. Maybe i'll pick it up again once i drop some of the other series later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15