• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Arpeggio of Blue Steel (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote

Arpeggio of Blue Steel (TV)

Genres: adventure, drama, romance, science fiction
Themes: battleships, conspiracy, harem, military, navy, war

Plot Summary: By 2039, global warming had caused sea levels to rise and large amount of territory to be lost. As though in response, a mysterious group of warships clad in mist, “the Fleet of Mist,” appeared in every corner of the ocean, and began attacking human ships. In spite of humanity mustering all their strength, they were utterly defeated by the Mist's overwhelming force. All of humanity's trade routes were blockaded by the Fleet of Mist, their political economy was destroyed, and the human race was steadily beaten down. Seven years later, the Fleet of Mist's submarine I-401 appears before cadet Gunzo Chihaya. The humanoid life form that pilots the sub, who should be their enemy, is instead offering her services to mankind.
----------------------------------

Episode 1
That was epic. Honestly, this exceeded my expectations. The CG might take awhile for me to get used to though. The walking animation looked natural to me. Oh and ofc the OST was brilliant as well.

The battles so far are also decent enough and overall, a decent first episode. I loved it~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
A CG animation based series that actually looks pretty decent, that alone is an accomplishment.
That said, the first episode itself also works out well to quickly establish our main cast and there overall situation.
Miranox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Another "boy meets girl and gains power" setting for an action show. I remember dropping the manga this show is based on precisely because it looks so generic. They could only make it more generic if they replaced the battleships with giant robots. Well, at least it has high production values so this time I'll stick around long enough to see if there's a decent plot beneath all this. Hopefully it can do more than just ripping off older and better shows.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Zomg, moe warships! I'm in love. I love the look of this - hell, I love everything about this. Very glad Funi has the rights. I can't imagine them not giving it a physical release at some point.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh, would ya look at that? I recently mentioned how I was amazed a Kantai Collection anime hadn't been announced yet and lamented the low count of naval warfare shows with personifications of the ships. Then this pops up. COOL!

I'll be honest, I don't know jack about boats. I just like watching shows/movies/games with naval warfare in it because it's a very cool dynamic for battle. So while I won't be drooling over the ships beyond saying "oh that looks cool" or "wow that's a lot of beam spam!" I'm likely going to thoroughly enjoy the cat-and-mouse games that will come from this. Looking at their specs it seems our heroes might be doing a some "dive dive run away!" based on the various speeds given. I also love the idea of something as nasty as an alien battleship being able to do submarine warfare.

Art-wise it's absolutely beautiful. I've sure as heck never succeeded in making a 3D model look this much like a 2D one even with all the usual tricks. I love the character designs too. The music was quite good and as an added bonus it has end card art. I LOVE shows with end card art (Shiokonbu's one for Gargantia was complete drool material). It looks like it may have some subtle fanservice too and the overall world motion seems interesting.

I think I've spread my bliss about this one for long enough. Don't be shocked if I end up declaring it my favourite of the season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh wait, Funi doesn't have this. I was confusing it with BlazBlue. Well, someone better pick this up, dammit!
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I messaged a friend of mine about this and he argued that it wasn't a new show. He was mixed up with Blue Drop (loved that one) which IMO is a perfectly understandably error. But he said Funi had this too so I guess somebody started a rumour or something.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Lol wtf when I saw the image of Gunzo in the preview site, I thought it was a girl. I love invading alien shows and then you add moe girl enemies = recipe of goodness.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Out of all the new shows this season, this was the one that I was waiting the most for. I was quite happy that the first episode did not disappoint.

For me the most interesting aspect of the show is how the Fog ships have the appearance of old WWII era warships, yet have firepower that's far ahead of modern human technology. Must be the Space Battleship Yamato fan in me!
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or does the show have no soul? It feels incredibly sterile, like it was assembled by robots.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

So some force decided the best way to defeat humanity was by creating AI robot things that copied appearance of naval ships and a cute human form for the general control. This is so humans would be cut off from each other, although there is also the likely chance that human will then probably waste most of the land resources to fight back?

Shouting that this is like a vehicle to show off old naval ships for those type of fans with cute girls used to grab the attention of otaku audiences, won't do any good. At the very least the CG was good, I would not say that it is the best blend at using 3D models for characters I have seen in anime, but it is pretty good. As of now I don't care much about the main cast yet, although that could change when we spend more time with them.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:17 am Reply with quote
Good 1st episode. Of course things were different in the anime compare to how it was in the manga when i last read it.

So here are some changes the anime made or didn't properly explained based on the 1st episode(Be warned of some slight spoilers!):

* spoiler[ It was actually 17 years ago when the last major battle between the UN Naval fleets and the Fleet of Fog before the Fleet of Fog won and made a complete and total naval blockade around the world.]

* spoiler[How Iona and Gunzō first meet was different. In the Drama CD, Iona first meet Gunzō at the Naval academy where she went undercover as a student. After getting enough info about Gunzō, Iona then challenge him in a simulation naval war game where both of them were submarine captains. Gunzō and his crew manage to defeat Iona and her crew in the war game which convinces Iona that Gunzō is worthy of becoming her new captain.]

* spoiler[Gunzō was a calm and confident student in the manga while the anime portrays him as angst and down. I'm not sure why they change his personality.]

* spoiler[In one of his flashback in the anime, it appears Gunzō's mother is dead. I hope it's just a fakeout to mislead the viewers because Gunzō's mother, Saori Chihaya is still alive in the manga. Furthermore, she plays an important role for the development of two characters.]

*spoiler[ It appears they didn't show Maruri Hibiki during the Naval academy flashback. She's another member of the Blue Steel fleet in the manga.]

* spoiler[Despite what the narrator and Kamikage Ryujirou said, the world is not truly isolated. The world is able communicate each other by satellite signals but for only for a short amount of time. Furthermore, it is explained that most of the countries are fighting each other for resources due to the Naval blockade. However the US is one of the few countries not affected due to being one of the few nation that are completely self-sufficient.]

* spoiler[If your wondering why the Blue Steel fleet were hired to bring the Vibration Torpedo to the US to be mass produced rather than go to a nearby nation like say China, one character from the manga that did not appear in the anime might have explain it. Cruz Herder, an US Navy SEAL officer, is the commander of the local US forces in Japan that couldn't go back to the US before the Blockade. Cruz is Kamikage's ally as both men have the same goal, getting the Vibration Torpedo to the US to be mass produced while facing off other politicians who have their own plans.]

Well i hope to see how the next episode goes.

Last edited by MrTerrorist on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
This one looks different.
Naval warfare anime, should be interesting.
Usually, I'd go for this kind of thing.
But I think I'm gonna skip this one.
I'm just not feeling it...
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
Well I'm happy the anime finally came out. I'm not into the CGI their using, the characters seem to be stiff. Other than that it looks so far.

As far as the Anime's continum not matching the Manga or other media version of the franchise...that was going to happen.

Manga only been out since late last year, there isn't alot running room for them. Frankly considering the track record of animes based on mangas, its likely swing a different way with the plot of the Manga. I like the Manga's slow burn plot verses the hurried pace the show appears to be going.

With only 7 volumes of the Manga out there, their not going to get very far without running out plot.

Has anyone seen sign of the 8th volume? It seems to be overdue, i was wondering if the author put hault to his manga while aiding Anime.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
How to win a maiden's heart with torpedoes and battle tactics shown by Gunzou. I looked up Takao on MAL and found out she is known as spoiler[Tsundere Heavy Cruiser].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10