• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fantasista Doll Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
This gets point for being about a card game and NOT shoving it in my face. In fact, I have no clue how that card game's supposed to work, and I watched the whole thing. It's earnestly adorable, as opposed to many things now that are faking being earnest.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Bah, I thought the ending blew. The setup made no sense, and the execution just came off as fluffy saccharine bullshit. I thought it did have some good ideas, but they ultimately threw them to the wayside for the sake of formula.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show a fair bit – my favourite touch was having the cards project themselves onto surfaces and talk to Uzume; I want moe girls hiding inside my books – but I can't say I thought it warranted a B-, what with the "terminally thin characterizations and corny relationships" the review points out. I'm also not sure the last third of the series was all that great. Better than the first two, though, certainly. Although I can't call it a good or even really a decent show, I found it a nice, fluffy diversion.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I wonder. Should this series have been a 50+ episode TV series aimed for young girls along with all that merchandising potential instead? It seems like Fantasista Doll is aimed towards otaku would also watch other young girl anime shows like Precure and Aikatsu, but it ended up being rather empty.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit when Kagami turned out the be the main villain i could not HELP but laugh. So freaking dumb. Honestly the only reason i didn't drop this series was because i hate dropping stuff in fear that it might get better later on and Takanashi was composing for this show.

The animation wasn't good at all nor were the character designs. And don't even get me started on how retarded the fights and "henchmen" that Kagami hired were. I know what crowd this show was trying to appeal to but even that considered it does a HORRIBLE job at it.

I've tried lowering my exceptions as the seasons of anime go on they can only go so low before i start questioning why stuff like this is even being made when SO MANY other manga/LN series deserve it much more.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
I have to admit when Kagami turned out the be the main villain i could not HELP but laugh. So freaking dumb. Honestly the only reason i didn't drop this series was because i hate dropping stuff in fear that it might get better later on and Takanashi was composing for this show.

The animation wasn't good at all nor were the character designs. And don't even get me started on how retarded the fights and "henchmen" that Kagami hired were. I know what crowd this show was trying to appeal to but even that considered it does a HORRIBLE job at it.

I've tried lowering my exceptions as the seasons of anime go on they can only go so low before i start questioning why stuff like this is even being made when SO MANY other manga/LN series deserve it much more.

I think you mean spoiler[Komachi].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
other manga/LN series

Fantasista Doll is an anime-original series.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
other manga/LN series

That explains quite a bit actually. While it wasn't nearly as bad as Fantasista Doll Day Break Illusion, another show from last season was anime original too and was pretty terrible with the narrative. And the show started off so promising too.

This season certainly didn't give me much hope for future anime original stuff and I'm certain nothing will ever top the first series of FMA which follows the manga for a while but does it's own thing later in the series (so it's not exactly a full anime original series but still).
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
jymmy wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
other manga/LN series

That explains quite a bit actually. While it wasn't nearly as bad as Fantasista Doll Day Break Illusion, another show from last season was anime original too and was pretty terrible with the narrative. And the show started off so promising too.

This season certainly didn't give me much hope for future anime original stuff

On the other hand, the three original shows that have aired so far this season, Kill la Kill, Kyousougiga and Nagi no Asukara, are all really good. I think Fantasista Doll and Day Break Illusion were just two crappy shows that made no real effort to be unique or inventive. Although, as I've said, I loved Uzume's cards appearing on walls and in books and stuff; it really made me want my own deck of moe characters just so they could do that.

leatherhead333 wrote:
I'm certain nothing will ever top the first series of FMA which follows the manga for a while but does it's own thing later in the series (so it's not exactly a full anime original series but still).

Uh, I haven't seen FMA, but if you're talking all anime-original series ever, I think you'll find that there are at least a few good ones: many Ghibli films, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Haibane Renmei, Mononoke, Time of Eve; really, a good proportion of the very best anime have been original productions.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
well give watching this series give card using format give recall feel bit vibe of those kamen rider cards series & megaforce rangers cards using.

yet series it was fine to watch give some hmm going on & yet overall in the at least everyone got happy end.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I wonder. Should this series have been a 50+ episode TV series aimed for young girls along with all that merchandising potential instead? It seems like Fantasista Doll is aimed towards otaku would also watch other young girl anime shows like Precure and Aikatsu, but it ended up being rather empty.

I think that what a lot of people are missing is that this anime was made solely to promote the (at the time) upcoming smartphone social game. The anime consistently makes references to the effects of cards that are available in the game.

This anime was NOT made for girls only. This anime was aired late-night in Japan, which means it was most likely made for the male otaku population. In ads for the smartphone game,
Here's an ad for the game featuring a salaryman being cheered up by Sasara's voice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeBNEDDuE7I
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

This anime was NOT made for girls only.

I think you might need to re-read that post. The suggestion was that it SHOULD have been actually aimed at little girls like Pretty Rhythm/Aikatsu rather than be a late-night otaku show.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

This anime was NOT made for girls only.

I think you might need to re-read that post. The suggestion was that it SHOULD have been actually aimed at little girls like Pretty Rhythm/Aikatsu rather than be a late-night otaku show.

I know what the person said. But with the original purpose of the show being promotional material for a smart phone game, something that small girls (IN JAPAN) do not play. If the director or studio were to change the entire demographic of the show, this would destroy the purpose of the show as a marketing vehicle for a smartphone game. Peoole can say that the show should have reformatted the show for a younger audience, but the fact is, this is completely ignoring the goal of the company that made it.

Also, the reviewer said it was aimed squarely at girls. This is not true. So I was mainly replying to the entire review's understanding of the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1